Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

How much exercise?

(1/2) > >>

shonajoy:
I've read here before that until 6 months, 15 minutes is ok for puppies. Every morning we got to the park, and he's loving it, but hates it when we leave. He also has the run of the garden during the day - if I'm not walking him a lot, is it ok to up the time in the park?

We don't do much walking in the park, maybe a mile - he loves meeting all the other dogs. He's very active at home, chasing and returning his ball, what do you think?

He's 20 weeks now.                    

Gaeliccockers:
you should be walking your puppy for max 20mins a day.  It is difficult.  I have 2 5 1/2 month olds and today they went out for 1 hour.  But they wont really do much in the week so I dont feel too bad.  Their bones wont yet be fully formed and if you can keep exercise down to a minimum it will benfit them in later life  :D                    

Shirley:
Hi Shona

I think what your doing is fine - you just need to be sensible and recognise that if he comes in and zonks out and is fit for nothing for the rest of the day, then you're overdoing it.  There's plenty of time for long walks later on :D .  it comes round so quickly and then on the rainy, wind nights you'd wish he just needed 10 minutes in the garden  :lol: .

Shirley

Wow :shock: , Gaeliccockers, you are brave.  I found it hard enough training one puppy at a time - don't think I'd have managed two.  Are they boys or girls?  by the way, is there a story behind your username - hope you don't mind me asking  :D                    

shonajoy:
Thanks Shirley. He's pretty easily zonked out, lol - we did our 20 minutes in the park this morning then he came home and slept for 3 hours.

I just feel rotten as 20 minutes goes by so fast - but I'll keep on limiting it. I'm dying for a good hour long walk with him, can't wait!

Shona                    

shonajoy:

--- Quote ---you should be walking your puppy for max 20mins a day.  It is difficult.  I have 2 5 1/2 month olds and today they went out for 1 hour.  But they wont really do much in the week so I dont feel too bad.  Their bones wont yet be fully formed and if you can keep exercise down to a minimum it will benfit them in later life  :D
--- End quote ---

Wow, two puppies, that must be busy! What are their names, and what coulours are they?

Shona                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version