Cocker Specific Discussion > Puppies

Bringing things home

(1/2) > >>

Jan/Billy:
Can anyone tell me why my puppy does this? Each morning when we go to the park my 4mth old cocker spaniel finds something on the floor which he insists on carrying in his mouth for the entire duration of his walk. He then drops it at the front door when we return home!!! This can be anything usually an empty packet of crisps or an empty cigarette packet. I have tried taking things off him but he just finds something else a few seconds later. I have tried taking his favourite toy out and tried to give him that to carry instead but he is just not interested.I get many strange looks from people who must think i am too mean to buy him a toy! :oops: Someone told me that it is in the cocker breed to carry things so i have allowed him to do this rather than interfere with his natural instincts. Any ideas why he does this?  :?:                    

shonajoy:
Hi Billy, I have no idea why but my 5 month old cocker boy does exactly the samme thing! Usually an old plastic bottle, or a cigarette packet, or bit of rubbish. He usually forgets it by the middle of the walk, but he's definately a rubbish magnet!

Shona                    

Jan/Billy:
Thanks Shona, its nice to know its not just my pup who likes other peoples rubbish! Plastic bottles are his favourite too. I wonder if this is a puppy thing rather then a cocker spaniel thing?  :?: habit.Hopefully he will grow out of it!! :lol:

Bye for now                    

shonajoy:
I was thinking of this this morning when Indie was proudly parading round the park with his plastic cup he found - it could be a puppy thing, I met a 15 week old lab puppy who was carrying a bottle too!

Shona                    

Colin:
Jimmy used to be terrible for picking up plastic bottles to carry when on walks. It never really bothered me until I was told that some street people used them as crack pipes ! :shock: I soon put a stop to that little game of Jimmy's.                    

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version