Author Topic: Teenage working cocker  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Woolwitch

Re: Teenage working cocker
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
I love the image of you all gathered in the hall, wine glasses in hands :) Honestly, relaxing evenings are a thing of the past in this house at the moment. We live downstairs in the kitchen most of the time and there is a stair gate, so it's slightly more tricky than just going out of a door but if it worked for you, then I'm happy to try anything that has had positive results!

I have been doing a combination of blanking Tali and changing the command when we are in the park and he starts trying to dictate what we do - telling him to heel has worked a bit, although it's been gradually turning into him sort of moonwalking in front of me looking hopeful which is NOT the heel we learnt in training... Blanking him works too, but only after a while, and I find blanking him frustrating too, as it seems so passive, but that's my problem I guess :)

Having said all that negative stuff, he is amazing a lot of the time, and was determinedly sitting and watching me in the park today, as instructed, whilst being buffeted by a pug who was equally determined to play. It's important to remember the good stuff under all the monkeying!

The key word you used is 'eventually' I think - it's small steps and determination and we'll all get there in the end!

Offline Digger

Re: Teenage working cocker
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 09:42:26 PM »
Yup-we had a door and a stair gate! Haha
Yours sounds so much like ours. Very smart and bold. Ours will also totally ignore other dogs jumping all over her head if she's waiting for a ball. I think this is a very good thing because it shows there is focus there.
I also wonder if yours (like ours) is from very finely tuned stock.Ours is very much highly strung which means I can't just give her normal vague commands like I could my other dog. I am very specific and try to always follow through to get what I want. This has involved standing in the same spot in the middle of a field for quite a long time in the early days. It's not that sociable..and she operates very well on hand signals, so just one more thing that might help- when you are blanking him, check you really are. Ours would gain gratification from the slightest bit of eye contact or anything. If I couldn't remove myself completely I would totally freeze, hands under my chin and looking at the ceiling. A real total blank!
I think most working cockers are pretty intelligent byt if you get one that is bold and confident too (pat yourself on the back here), then they can really test you. I think it's important to make sure you win the little power battles (I don't mean by force-just out stubborn them!). Also if they love you which I'm sure yours does they want to be with you, so you do have the upper hand really.
I have to say ours was a pretty hideous puppy really- bitey as hell and difficult in every way but my goodness we love each other to bits and she is turning into a really good dog.
...apart from the handbag thing... :lol2:
Someone on here told me the more effort you have to put in when they're young, the  better bond you have and I think that is very true. :luv: