Author Topic: Making learning pup to stand  (Read 6210 times)

Offline Blondeduke

Making learning pup to stand
« on: March 24, 2019, 08:10:08 PM »
I have a new pup and all I am told is of I want to show him I need him to stand. And should start him straight away, he is 10 weeks. He sits , lies down for a bit of kibble but being active any tips or how to? Stand? Thank you.

Offline lescef

Re: Making learning pup to stand
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
I know nothing about training for showing, but my còckers only learnt to stand when we did Rally and they were about four years old! So plenty of time!
It was easier than I thought though.
Hold a treat in front of their nose then move it away horizontally so they can still see it and would walk towards it. At the same time gently put your hand under their tummy/ waist area so they stand. Reward with the treat, eventually introducing the word and  making them wait longer  for the treat.
I think standing is not a favourite position for a cocker - their default position is a sit!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »
If you are thinking of Showing, would it be worth contacting your local Club, they will no doubt do Ring Craft and could give you a few pointers ?

Offline Barry H

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
Hold a treat in front of their nose then move it away horizontally so they can still see it and would walk towards it. At the same time gently put your hand under their tummy/ waist area so they stand. Reward with the treat, eventually introducing the word and  making them wait longer  for the treat.
^^^ This.  I found it easier from a sit and no need to encourage with touching if you use high value treats (not kibble).  Moving the treat away horizontally (not too fast) means pooch will (should!) automatically stand to follow the treat.  You'll know how far to move the treat after a few attempts.  Click and reward as soon as fully standing, not just with bum off ground.  Make sure pup is stationary and not dicking about before clicking and releasing the reward.  Once the penny drops, wait a little longer before rewarding.  Rinse and repeat, but only a few minutes at a time initially.

However, I think the OP is referring to standing still for showing which is a different kettle of fish altogether.  This is something that will take months of patient practice (pups by definition don't/won't stand still for longer than a second), but practicing a normal stand command is the first step.

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:28 AM »
Thanks for the invaluable advice I have been going to puppy classes learning basic commands & practice just few mins every day but started ring craft last week. The trainer last night was brilliant, encouraging ( as my pup v v excited by it all) but another owner told me I must stick at it and her perfectly behaved pooches were not always so. By end class 2 my pup (& me) did actually enjoy it & he did calm down. 
Definitely glad we joined but tips above re holding high value treat "stand" even if momentarily thus am hoping if like sit,down etc will be work in progress & bingo. Phew a lot to learn but enjoying.