Author Topic: Breakfast for Working Cocker Puppies  (Read 773 times)

Offline Vicks20

Breakfast for Working Cocker Puppies
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:27 AM »
Hi,

We have 2 female working cocker 9 week old puppies who have a breakfast diet of weetabix, porridge and eggs
as advised by their breeder. Unfortunately, this breakfast is their least favourite of the day and we want to
introduce a new breakfast which is healthy but more enjoyable for them. Note their lunch and dinner is
pedigree chum meat and royal canin biscuits which they love.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Vicky

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Breakfast for Working Cocker Puppies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:33 AM »
There's not a lot of useful nutrition for dogs in Weetabix or porridge so I think stopping feeding them and changing to something else is a good idea. Most breeders also advise 4 meals a day at 9 weeks and it sounds like yours are on 3?

A good place to look at the quality of different dog foods is http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/, which explains why some ingredients (wheat, corn, colours and additives to name a few) are poor quality and some are much better. It uses a traffic light system and star ratings so you can look at individual foods and see how they're rated in terms of quality.

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
The problem as I understand it is that dogs cannot digest wheat in particular. I think - but I am open to correction - that they do better with oats. Hence, so far as Weetabix goes it has no food value and you might as well feed them the box. The link which Elaine gives is really useful for comparing different foods.

Scrammbled eggs might be worth a try?

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »
I agree about looking at the link Elaine suggested to check out the quality of their food, but I wouldn't be feeding anything different to their other meals for breakfasts. Just split their daily food ration into 4.

Offline Vicks20

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 04:29:21 PM »
Hi there,

Many thanks for the tips, very much appreciated.

Looked on suggested website and its great, so good call. Had read that they should be on 4 meals a day but breeder
Stated only 3 so had kept to that but think 4 would be better.

Hopefully here's to happier breakfasts!

Vicky

Offline dawn

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:00:42 PM »
We found the dog food with more additives made Henry very hypa, and the better foods made him calmer. Phew!. He's now on Burns, but there's plenty of choice of other similar varieties. We ran out once and gave him Pedigree Chum and he was bouncing off the walls for a few hours! But then Henry has always been a mad sort of cocker! :005:

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
I found 4 small meals kept Bea more content, there stomachs are still getting used to food and the other things that puppies occasionally put in there tummies :005:

Less additives = calmer puppy :luv: