Author Topic: IBS Food Question  (Read 713 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
IBS Food Question
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
Hi, I'm asking for someone else's spaniel who has IBS (confirmed through biopsies) and they're currently feeding prescription diet with no avail. As I've had good results in home made diets for health problems I suggested the same but I've no experience in this case. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are? She's a sweet little dog and she has endless vet trips, investigations, she's a young dog and it's such a shame.

Thank you.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
Re: IBS Food Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
Could try contacting Natural Instinct  and Nutriment they both do a special diet for dogs with colitis , IBS problems.  It is raw just defrost and serve.

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about the young spaniel  :'(
Have you read this article?

http://www.thewholedog.org/artIBS.html

For human sufferers , my eldest daughter takes peppermint tea for IBS and finds it beneficial.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »
Thank you both. I've contacted natural instinct and they have a specific diet for the problem. I'll pass on all the info. She's just been moved to another hills diet and I think she'd really benefit from a more natural food choice.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
Tilly was diagnosed with IBD nearly 5 years ago; she lost over 1/3 of her body weight and at several times I (and the vets) thought that her number might be up. However after struggling for a long time to find anything at all that she could tolerate other than cottage cheese and rice - we tried every prescription diet going and none worked - I found (by mistake initially) that she could digest Skinners Field&Trial duck and rice kibble. She's still going strong on it now and it's still the only thing she can eat in any appreciable quantity. I know of a few other IBD dogs who can also eat Skinners. The dog will likely need to be tried on novel proteins - the usual chicken, lamb etc. that dogs are usually exposed to are no good for most IBD dogs. Duck obviously works for Tilly - as time has gone on she has become able to stomach small amounts of duck wet food and some treats too which she couldn't initially have had. She can't have meat (raw or cooked) in any significant quantities though, and definitely no bones or we all suffer the consequences! That said, her stomach is immeasurably better than it used to be and I can't remember the last time she had a really bad flare up, it's been several years. Other 'novel' proteins that could be worth looking at are venison, rabbit, ostrich, bison etc.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »
Really appreciated thank you Nicola. She didn't look a happy bunny when I saw her on Friday, really tucked up and quiet. I've googled so much on this so it's nice to get a personal experience thank you. I'll put it to them about skinners. They have quite a few different avenues to go down. Pooch and Mutts Bionic Biotics looks quite promising to from what I've read.

Thanks again, Holly

Offline Mum2Riley

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
My little chap Riley has suffered really badly from colitis on and off for the last few months, and I have found that Pooch and Mutt Bionic Biotic is an absolute godsend.  Its a dry powder you add to their food, and it has really made a huge difference to what comes out the other end!  I also regularly give him sheeps milk yogurt to keep a good level of bacteria in his gut, and that helps keep his tummy calm.  We can't use any treats other than dried fish skins which thankfully he loves.