Author Topic: Advice needed for over my sensitive dog  (Read 4521 times)

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
Advice needed for over my sensitive dog
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Hello, this could be a bit of a long one! Our lovely boy Sweep is coming up to 4 years old and is a really lovely boy. However we have run into some issues which need to be addressed. We live in a small 2 bed house and until 18 weeks ago it was just myself, my husband, sweep the dog and our cat. Sweep loved the cat however would chase her and always be listening out for the cat flap.we sorted this out  by moving his bed in our bedroom and closing the door.this enabled the cat to come and go without being chased. Sweep still would bark if he heard something outside thinking it was the cat but not very often.
18 weeks ago I had a baby boy, and Sweep adores him.He comes for every nappy change, loves walks out with the baby etc. He now spends all day at home with us where as when I was at work he would go to my in-laws house everyday. He gets 2 hour long walks per day and alot of attention.
8 weeks ago my beautiful cat was ran over.
Sweep has spent every night since listening for her and barking if he hears the slightest noise from outside or from the baby. He is waking us all up from 3 times, up to 6 times a night barking, running downstairs trying to get in the back garden. He has become highly sensitive to any noise.we are all exhausted.the baby wakes everytime he barks as we all do and it is becoming too much. We come and put him back to bed and tell him no but nothing seems to work. I do not agree with any type of negative punishment. I do not know what to do. I realise he has gone through so much in the past few months, his whole life has altered. I don't know how to make things easier for him. The poor thing must be so stressed. And I am not enjoying him because he us ruining our nights. We love him so much. Does anyone have any ideas? I should mention he is highly sensative to noises in the day as well and regularly wakes the baby from his naps.I've put an outdoor post box up as at least that's one thing less to bark at. I think we need to somehow desensitise him but I have no idea where to start

Apologies for the long post
Laura

Offline AlanT

Re: Advice needed for over my sensitive dog
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:45:28 AM »
Does the dog spend the night alone or with you?

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »
He has his bed in our room and has free run of the house. He has another bed downstairs also likes to sleep in conservatory as that where cat flap is but we have started to keep this closed at night

Offline rednblack

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:31:23 PM »
It sounds as though Sweep is grieving for his lost feline companion.  He doesn't know what has happened to her, and is alert to every sound which might be his friend coming back home. 

This loss might be more significant to him because of the changes which have recently happened in his life. 

Don't be cross with him.  Take him to the vet for a general check over, and tell the vet what is happening; a calming or sedative preparation or a pheromone collar might be in order.

If everything is ok as far as health is concerned, a behaviourist might be able to help (http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers - scroll through to find one who also deals with behaviour - or similar positive behaviourist/trainer);  your vet might be able to recommend one, but it must be a positive behaviourist.

Is it possible that he could stay with your in-laws for a few days for a change of environment where he won't be looking for your cat, and to give you, your husband, and the baby a chance to catch up on sleep?

HTH
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline lescef

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Hi. Congratulations on the birth of your baby but sorry things have gone wrong for you all.
I don't have much to help, but like mentioned, a positive behaviourist might be a good idea.
Maddie became very noise sensitive after we had work done in the home. I found the best way was to have treats either on me or in pots around the house, and whenever a noise occurs quickly feed a treat. This helps to change the fearful association.
Hope you manage to get some help. X
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
Not sure that I can suggest more than time and patience although I suspect the latter must be wearing thin. Animals do grieve for a lost companion, and sometimes for quite a long time. Sweep may also be feeling protective towards the new baby and feeling that he has to be 'on guard' for potential intruders all the time.

Congratulations on the new baby and good luck

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »
Thankyou for the advice. I will take him to the vets. I think he is certainly guarding us from possible intruders. I underestimated how much our cat meant to him. We are going on holiday soon  so perhaps a change of scenery will help.
He is a lovely boy, being on guard all the time must be exhausting for him
Laura

Offline Blueberry

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »
Aww.  No advice, just want to say what a lovely boy he looks, and Sweep is the perfect name!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 05:05:21 PM »
A few topics down is "Barking at Night". Read what I posted in there.

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 05:16:08 PM »
You might want to look into TTouch (aka Tellington Touch). Sorry can't post link on my iPad.

It works by moving the skin in circular movements which seems to affect neural pathways and is used for behavioural and medical conditions such as stress and pain.

I attended a workshop a couple of years ago run by a COLler and learnt the basics, and it's fascinating how it works. On the website it lists practitioners by area.

It's supposed to work on humans too, I've heard of it being used in labour and for amputees prior to surgery and post surgery for the phantom pain.

There are quite a few threads about it on here.   :D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 06:39:13 PM »
FIrst of all, congratulations  on the new Baby, and so sorry to hear about your cat, it must be hard for all of you. I can't offer much advice either really, but I agree it might be an idea to call a professional in, there's so much at stake and if Sweep's handled wrongly (with the best of intentions)', you could make things worse. I remember when my first baby was born, my German Shepherd became extremely protective of him (and my parents always told me the story of their cocker, who lay under my pram and wouldn't let anyone near the house. ) Sweep probably just needs to learn that its not "his problem" . I'm afraid I have to disagree with suggestion of letting Sweep stay with your inlaws, I realize he's used to it, but he could interpret it as being pushed out of the way and with a new baby in the house, I think you'd be inviting trouble to be honest - the last thing you want is for him to become jealous, particularly as you've already made a successful effort to involve him. I do hope you can sort it, he's obviously much loved so I'm sure you will. Very best of luck!!!

Offline AlanT

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 07:35:38 PM »
It's interesting that my boy, who is nearly 3 now, is coping with a baby aged 5-months and the loss of a cat only last weekend.

I am quite sure he will be barking at times, especially in the night and when the milk comes at 4-30 AM.

BUT

He will shut up quite quickly when I ask.
I think "speak" and "calm" are almost as important to train as recall.

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 08:47:29 PM »
I have been watching this thread today and having read all what has been written I think all are right in some way. I agree with not sending the poor thing away as this will create a negative feeling. AlanT is right and it may be time to train some new commands to aid the situation.

Think about how we humans cope with grief and change, we find it very hard and we are the more intelligent and able to make sense of it all. A dog is not going to be able to comprehend this quickly and it will take time. Perhaps a cover over the catflap may help.

Best of luck and do ask for more help from this site and the professionals and I am sure things will soon be back to a steady way of life. 

Offline Ernies mum

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 10:10:44 PM »
Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy & as others have said sorry to hear about the sad loss of your cat . sweep has had a lot of changes & is probably grieving for your cat . My elderly terrier can be bit anxious & ive found the adaptil collar & spray helps to settle her . It's based on the principle that the adaptil  contains pheromones similar to nursing bitch & soothing to dogs so that maybe worth a try . The collar is good as the dog can wear it all the time & I use the spray on my dogs bed at night & seems to help . I also think as others have mentioned that contacting a behaviouralist that uses positive methods only would be very useful . My last suggestion would be to try some " back ground noise " Ie classic fm on low as maybe this would soothe sweep & stop him picking up on every little noise outside .
I'm sure with bit of help you'll have sweep sorted out & you can all enjoy some sleep  ;)

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 07:17:04 AM »
Thankyou all so much for your advice.
the "calm" command sounds crucial to be taught. We have decided to go back to badics with his training. We probably have t enforced it enough as we perhaps should have recently.
Alan T- congratulations on the new baby and so sorry for the loss of your cat.
We have used the pheromone plug in before but not seen great results, but that may be because it was confined to one space. I will give the spray and the collar a try.
I agree that ultimately this looks like it will be a case for a professional.