Author Topic: Advice needed for over my sensitive dog  (Read 4523 times)

Offline AlanT

Re: Advice needed for over my sensitive dog
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 08:41:40 AM »
"My" dog is actually a "dog-share" with my son and his wife and baby. So its their cat who was PTS. But thanks for your sympathy anyway.

The dog is besottedly in love with my wife and I guess she feels the same!

I'm his "employer", we go out on patrols and find things. Should have been a Police drug-dog really.

Offline rednblack

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 03:42:31 PM »
The reason I suggested a short break for Sweep is that sometimes a short change of scene will interrupt an unwanted behaviour, and going to the in-laws would be to go somewhere he knows, and from where he always goes home.  (And his sleep-deprived people could catch up on the zzzzzz  ;) .) But the planned holiday would probably provide the interruption, and would have the benefit that Sweep would be with his people.

He might enjoy and benefit from some sort of mind-games, such as finding hidden treats in the house and garden.

Good luck, anyway, and hope you get a quick resolution.

Congratulations to all new babies, and sympathy for all late cats.
Remembering Rex, Janna, Toni, Billy, Rufus and Ebony - gone beyond recall.

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 03:09:53 PM »
Hello- well we are in the same position 2.5 yers later. He never improved and still barks all night long.
I guess what i am looking for is hope that i can train him to stop barking at night. We are all well and truely exhausted. The vet ia confident there is no medical issue. He still wears the pheromone collar and spray. Has at least 2 walks a day.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
Don't want to seem unduly negative, but if Sweep's been barking all night for 2 and a half years it's very likely to be ingrained, habitual behaviour now.  The one thing you might try (if you haven't already) is crate train him and have him sleep in it at night, covered.  It might make him feel more secure, and he won't be able to run up and down the stairs barking at night.  Otherwise, did you ever think about getting either another cat, or a dog for him as a companion?  As the barking seemed to get worse with the loss of your cat, having one around might settle him?  But i do honestly think that this behaviour is going to be very difficult to stop now - whatever you do.  Sorry that's not the most positive response.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »
No- i absolutely agree with you. And thankyou for replying.

We have tried so many things- white noise, the radio on all night, not reacting, my husband sleeping downstairs so he can get to him quickly, increased exercise, change of food, a late night walk, training in the day. He is fine in the day, just at night he is very reactive and very anxious. I thought i would post once more here on here before i engage a behavioural expert.
He had a crate when he was a puppy but he never settled in it  it might be a good idea though.

Offline Digger

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 01:56:54 PM »
Hi.
I have a quick fix idea you may want to try?!. :D

I looked after a rescue dog for someone a couple of years ago and she was really unsettled in the car to the point that she would salivate so much she would be soaked at the other end of the journey.  I bought her one of those 'adaptil' collars and put it on a few minutes before we went out. Dry as a bone. I reckoned that was quite a good proof that it worked.
They're not cheap-about £25 if I remember but worth it if it works. I used to just use it for car journeys then wrap it tightly in cling film in between.

It might also be worth setting up a new bedtime routine with your dog, perhaps with a bit more containment so he doesn't feel responsible for patrolling the house. (I'm sure if mine was out and about at night she would be causing all sorts of mayhem. I don't personally like crates but mine has a little area of her own and once she's tucked in to bed she knows there's no point in doing anything because she can't get out.)
Pop the collar on, do your night time routine-get him settled and calmly leave. It might be worth a try. Apparently the collar releases pheromones similar to those of a mother dog calming her pups.

Hope something works for you-sleep is a precious commodity when you have a baby!

Best of luck!

Offline SweetSweep

• Sweep
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 10:44:01 AM »
Thankyou very much. He does actually wear a collar and i thibk it improves a little bit. I think the bedtime routine needs to be worked on.