Author Topic: 13 months old  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
13 months old
« on: February 23, 2019, 09:30:20 AM »
Please someone tell me that at 13 months it is totally normal for my lovely pup to become a teenager!  Maximus has been a challenging pup because it is a long time since we had a puppy.  Trev and I are not as fit as we were nearly 7 years ago when we got Alfie as a puppy. 
Dexter put Maximus in his place on day 1 and they have a great relationship.  Max completely respects Dexter.
Alfie, however, thought "Yaaay, a new friend to play with and chase and love!" and would not tell Max off for anything.  This wasn't too bad until Max got his big teeth and now poor Alfie has sore ears where Max just keeps trying to chew them.  Alfie still won't tell him off.

But all was going well and Max was getting to be a fairly calm, fairly well behaved pup.

Then all of a sudden, he has taken several steps backwards and is a cockerdile again, pushing boundaries and generally being a terrible teen - but he is only 13 months old  :huh:

I have damaged my ankle and haven't been able to walk the dogs as much as they need - so have given in and purchased a mobility scooter to use until my ankle gets better so lack of exercise is not an issue.  Max is still acting like a teenager so we are back to basics again re-visiting basic puppy training and encouraging the good behaviour when it happens. 

Please tell me this is perfectly normal!!!  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Online Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: 13 months old
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »
Absolutely!! Hormones and everything. One day he will return to being a lovely normal cocker. At least dogs dogs don,t sulk and grunt and sit in their dirty bedrooms  :005:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 10:23:51 AM »
It normal, which is why I’d be reluctant to get another puppy.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Thank you for your replies!  He is lovely and adorable, but much harder work than we remembered puppies being!  I just hope this phase doesn't last much longer cos it is so exhausting.
He is everything we wanted in a cocker though - a real mix of the best parts of the ones we lost all those years ago.   I can't believe how lucky I am to have another cocker in our lives.  He makes me smile every day :luv:
Just wish I could persuade Alfie to tell him off sometimes, but he is so laid back he is almost horizontal!!
Luckily Dexter isn't!  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 05:22:31 PM »
He makes me smile every day :luv:

and that  is what life is really all about!