Author Topic: Started to steal/chew  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Groovymum

Started to steal/chew
« on: March 01, 2019, 08:10:53 AM »
Hi

I rehomed an ex breeding bitch in November and she has settled great.  Just recently tho she has started to steal and chew things (1 being an expensive bit of a bridle even tho it was underneath a shelf)

She had a season a few weeks ago and wasnt mated so im wondering if it's a kind of maternal thing as she was used to pups?

I'm now finding I cant trust her if she is on her own but she was fine and did nothing wrong until now

Any suggestions?

Thanks🙂

Offline Gazrob

Re: Started to steal/chew
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
I believe it's something that she enjoys doing. Nothing more that that. The only thing you can really do is try and move items that you don't want her to chew in a safe place. My dog sometimes steals my socks and underwear from the radiators luckily that's about it.

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
Did she live as a pet when she was a breeding bitch? If not, then she may not have learned how to act around the house. I would do as mentioned above. Move things up and out of her reach like you would with a puppy in the house. Also make sure she has chews and toys you can give her as an alternative to your things.

I remember reading that it takes around 4 months for a rehomed dog to really settle in and be comfortable enough to show their true personality. So maybe that's why she started doing it now, because she is really at home in your house and comfortable enough to explore more   :blink:

Cockers do enjoy collecting things. My girl collects socks and leaves them randomly around the house. Found one outside yesterday. But she stopped chewing things when she grew up. If your dog never lived in a normal household, she may not have had a chance to learn some things and maybe you need to think of her like a puppy in some ways.

If she did live in a normal home then it could just be a bad habit. Either way I think moving things out of her reach and having chews to swap with when she does steal is the way to go to teach her.

Added: If she starts treating the stolen objects as puppies consider pseudopregnancy.

Offline Groovymum

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 08:55:12 PM »
Hi thanks for replies.

I have started to de ruby my living room when I go out and she gets chews and has toys.

She lived outside before I got her so maybe the 4 month thing is true. She has been great til now.  Do you mean when I take things off her give her a chew?

I have thought about a phantom pregnancy will keep an eye on her

Appreciate the advice🙂🙂

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
Cockers make you tidy up!   :005: They do like to collect.  If you can swop whatever 'treasure' she has acquired for a chew, that would be ideal. 

Offline Groovymum

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 07:29:56 AM »
Gazrob she steals my socks and gloves from the washing pile🙂

Thanks all been going round tidying away any chewable stuff!!!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
Cockers make you tidy up!   :005: They do like to collect.  If you can swop whatever 'treasure' she has acquired for a chew, that would be ideal.

:lol2: Ahhhh, but they don‘t take long to catch on, Humphrey used to steal things and then show off with them infront of me, daring me not to give him a biscuit! They invented „Trick or Treat“ !!!! :005:

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 10:04:33 AM »

:lol2: Ahhhh, but they don‘t take long to catch on, Humphrey used to steal things and then show off with them infront of me, daring me not to give him a biscuit! They invented „Trick or Treat“ !!!! :005:

:lol2: Too clever!  :clapping:

But in my mind, that's still better than sneaking around and chewing valuable stuff. And I guess when they are at this stage it would be ok to demand the item without a swap, just some praise for letting it go? Laurië will bring me socks and toys when I eat, I think she is hoping to swap them for food  :005:

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
Yeah the only thing you can really do is manage the situation and hope that she stops doing it over time.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »

:lol2: Too clever!  :clapping:

But in my mind, that's still better than sneaking around and chewing valuable stuff. And I guess when they are at this stage it would be ok to demand the item without a swap, just some praise for letting it go? Laurië will bring me socks and toys when I eat, I think she is hoping to swap them for food  :005:

The hardest to bargain with was the whole German Sausage which he pinched out of the shopping bag last week (OH put the bag on the floor ! >:D). He wasn‘t going to swap THAT for a crummy little biscuit!!!  :lol2: :lol2:
Gazrob is right, I think manageing it is really the only way to  go, I‘ve replaced all my paper bins with ones with lids [IKEA! ;) ]. Its a cocker habit that’s quite endearing really and I often think that when he‘s old and not interested in being mischievous, I shall look back wishfully......... :-\

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08:02 PM »
You will have a long wait BizzyLizzy  (I hope) I am not convinced they ever lose their naughty streak  :luv:

Offline Groovymum

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
Thanks for all replies 😁

Got her a big rawhide bone chew kept her happy for 2 days lol

I empty all bins now before I go out and close doors. Have to think ahead of her😁

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 08:26:57 AM »
Yeah I remember my first dog who wasn't a cocker she was a nightmare when I went out she would chew the sofa, wooden coffee table, paper basically anything I left lying around. Marley doesn't chew anything when I'm not around but when I'm around he will steal my socks from the radiator shoes and the odd tea towel it doesn't bother me one bit really it makes me laugh. I wouldn't change it even if I could. There was one time I couldn't find my shoes anywhere and Marley had actually taken them outside into the garden had hidden them in a bush with a stash of other items that I'd never noticed him do.