Author Topic: 3 year old not so friendly anymore. Help!  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Evie8

3 year old not so friendly anymore. Help!
« on: April 27, 2019, 02:00:32 PM »
Hi there, I’m looking to understand my boy a bit more. He has always been very friendly to all breeds and shapes and sizes and loves people too. He would run around happily. But twice now in 2 days he has been really aggressive to 2 dogs. Both bigger than him but I don’t know if that’s the issue. The first one he ran with for about 5 seconds then when got reapproached  went speeding after the dog barking and growling and looking like he would go for him. Today the dogs both had a sniff then my boy done the same again.
Usually he would run off playing so the new behaviour is leaving me slightly perplexed.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: 3 year old not so friendly anymore. Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:11:17 PM »
Hi there, I’m looking to understand my boy a bit more. He has always been very friendly to all breeds and shapes and sizes and loves people too. He would run around happily. But twice now in 2 days he has been really aggressive to 2 dogs. Both bigger than him but I don’t know if that’s the issue. The first one he ran with for about 5 seconds then when got reapproached  went speeding after the dog barking and growling and looking like he would go for him. Today the dogs both had a sniff then my boy done the same again.
Usually he would run off playing so the new behaviour is leaving me slightly perplexed.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

If it’s the same dog I would suggest the other dog is giving off a scent or body language your boy is reacting to  :shades:  if it’s two different dogs, it may simply be that your boy is letting the other know boundaries.

When you state “he would usually run off playing” is this with the other dog he’s just met?

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 12:53:43 PM »
I wouldnt worry about it too much. My 3 year old dog likes some dogs and not others just like people. I let him play with dogs that he's met before and I know he gets on fine with. I don't let him interact with any dogs I don't know as much as possible.

Offline lucybennett

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 05:30:47 PM »
I wouldn’t worry too much either. Think they just get a bit more picky as they get older. Bailey aged 4 1/2 is the same. Likes most dogs but occasionally chases off others in the same way you describe. Seems and sounds awful but never bites or injures. Think it’s a grumpy cocker thing. Think they sometimes just want to get on with their walk so it’s usually with over friendly dogs who come back for more or oversniff him. I just let him meet and greet then call him on unless he takes a particular liking and has a little play then call on again. No one has ever got cross about him with their dogs so think it happens all the time- especially to people with very friendly playful dogs. The only thing I am careful about is breeds where if Bailey gets grumpy he might spark something and they may have a real go back and hurt him..  x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk