Author Topic: Help with introducing my cocker to a newborn  (Read 1992 times)

Offline Catherine McC

Help with introducing my cocker to a newborn
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping some of you might like to share some tips with helping to prepare my cocker for the arrival of a baby into our household. I have just recently brought the car seat and sleeping basket into our living room in the evenings for him to sniff around and get used to the objects,  this is the time of day when he would be most calm. So far he has taken to them quite well however there’s no live baby yet so that could all change when a new scent arrives. I would really appreciate any suggestions/advice of what has worked well for some of you??

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Help with introducing my cocker to a newborn
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
Hi and well done for starting to prepare your dog before baby arrives.  :clapping:

No personal experience, but it is worth Googling Jo Rosie Haffenden - she is a well respected trainer and had her first baby a couple of years ago.  She has posted lots of stuff about how to prepare your dog and how to manage things when there is a baby in the house

Good luck  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Catherine McC

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 11:01:56 AM »
No personal experience, but it is worth Googling Jo Rosie Haffenden - she is a well respected trainer and had her first baby a couple of years ago.  She has posted lots of stuff about how to prepare your dog and how to manage things when there is a baby in the house

Brilliant thank you! There are so many sites on google that are ok but I like to read articles created by people who have actually tried the techniques I find them much more relatable so that’s great I’ll look her up, thanks again :)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 01:49:52 PM »
Its nearly 40 years ago since I was in that position, - we had a GSD at that time and received lots of unwelcome advice (mainly from people that didn‘t have dogs!).
Don‘t think its done these days, but my OH bought a nappy home from the hospital beforehand so that the dog could have a sniff. We stuck to his routine as much as possible, - walks, feeding etc and tried to keep things as normal for him as we could.  I allowed him to get as close as he wanted to while I was nursing, changing nappies etc (I only drew the line at licking, which I still don‘t like to see) and basically made sure he was included into all the things he‘d been included in before so that he never felt pushed out. The only restriction was that I never left him alone in a room with the baby, - he was a wonderful placid dog but dogs are dogs and one can never be 100% sure.....
We were rewarded with an extra helper, - I‘d get a wet nose pushed into my face at night to alarm me that my son was awake and he‘d get very unsettled if Grandma took the baby for a walk but he helped me bring up two sons and was incredibly tolerant and caring, we had no jealousy issues whatsoever.
My parents had a cocker when I was born but he did become possesive apparantly,  lay under my pram when I was „put out to air“ (as was the practice in those days!  :005:) and wouldn‘t let anyone onto the front path.
All dogs have their little quirks but you know yours best, as long as he doesn‘t feel any negative impacts, he‘ll be fine. All the best!

Offline Catherine McC

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
Its nearly 40 years ago since I was in that position, - we had a GSD at that time and received lots of unwelcome advice (mainly from people that didn‘t have dogs!). Don‘t think its done these days, but my OH bought a nappy home from the hospital beforehand so that the dog could have a sniff. We stuck to his routine as much as possible, - walks, feeding etc and tried to keep things as normal for him as we could.  I allowed him to get as close as he wanted to while I was nursing, changing nappies etc (I only drew the line at licking, which I still don‘t like to see) and basically made sure he was included into all the things he‘d been included in before so that he never felt pushed out. My parents had a cocker when I was born but he did become possesive apparantly

My parents have had GSD’s over the years and they were very good with us as babies and children, my dad absolutely loves that breed of dog and they have one that’s 2 year old at the moment. I have actually read on a few websites about bringing nappies/clothes home from the hospital with the babies scent for the dog to sniff so it must still work well for people :) I totally agree with keeping the dogs routine as normal as possible and I feel the exact same as yourself about the licking. Thank you so much for your advice I find it so daunting and I haven’t even had the baby yet haha. Plus my cocker is so excitable and crazy at times I think that’s what panics me more but every little bit of preparation is bound to help.