Author Topic: He's like an actual.. functioning cocker  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Leo0106

He's like an actual.. functioning cocker
« on: May 15, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
Every now and again I sit down and think about my life 2 years ago when I was faced with a biting, snarling, lack of sleeping ginger devil. I think about the journey I've come on since and the effort I have put into training the little moron and I cannot help but be overjoyed with pride.
I'm sure a few people will remember my woeful posts looking for help. But I wanted to tell people who may be struggling with a pup at the moment that if they feel like it's never going to get better, it really will, but a word of warning is that is takes hard work and dedication.
Leo will never be perfect and he will always need managing in certain situations but all the hard work really pays off!

A little update for his fans out there.

Photos include, Leo at his best (swimming with an Elvis lip curl) , Leo presenting his 4th place rosette for scentwork on Sunday (so proud!!) , And just the lovely leo with 2 adoring humans.

Thankyou so much to all that have ever helped with this monkey!

Offline IonaD

Re: He's like an actual.. functioning cocker
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 08:01:16 PM »
A lovely story to read!! I missed the initial posts so I’m playing catch up!

For some reason my Bella has also adopted the nickname Monkey. Very apt for a cheeky cocker.x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
Oh what a lovely post! (I still chuckle remembering the picture of you „saving“ Leo from drowning in the river!!  :005:
Well done Leo! (and Mum!)  :luv:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 09:54:49 PM »
Brilliant! The ones that take the longest to mature and challenge more on their journey are the most rewarding  :D

You know how difficult our journey has been but the effort is so worth it when you realise how far you’ve come!

Jayne
X

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »
Congratulations all round, he has certainly been a challenge for you at times....but oh so worth it  :clapping: :clapping:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:56:36 AM »
Thanks all I am so proud of him.
The only thing he really needs managing with regularly now is when we have guests round and food is involved!! He will still be a complete theif given half a chance. We quite often  refer to him as Jekyll and Hyde. He is the most loving one minute and a devil the next.

Bizzy Lizzy the rescue from the river has definatly happened atleast twice since that first photo  :005: but that's where I learn the art of picking my battles. How can I be mad at him for loving water when he's so grateful of me rescuing him!!!

Offline Barry H

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 08:05:33 AM »
Great post and makes up for yesterday's slow traffic  :lol:  I sometimes (only sometimes) miss the puppy stage - now Jack's grown up he's much more chilled out.

Congrats to you and Leo.  Onward and upward!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 09:58:46 AM »
Ah lovely Leo - I to remember the river and of course the Houdini in the toilet - that's my favourite
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
The only thing he really needs managing with regularly now is when we have guests round and food is involved!! He will still be a complete theif given half a chance.

Just wonder if giving him his own space to chill (like a crate) would be appropriate for when you have visitors and food around. When my sister comes to visit she is not really keen on sharing her edibles, (she's not keen on the dogs anyway  >:( ) so I put them in the bedroom with a biscuit and chew... and everyone is happy, and I am not stressed by what might happen.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
The only thing he really needs managing with regularly now is when we have guests round and food is involved!! He will still be a complete theif given half a chance.

Just wonder if giving him his own space to chill (like a crate) would be appropriate for when you have visitors and food around. When my sister comes to visit she is not really keen on sharing her edibles, (she's not keen on the dogs anyway  >:( ) so I put them in the bedroom with a biscuit and chew... and everyone is happy, and I am not stressed by what might happen.

Yep we've certainly tried popping him in another room (or giving him an extra special chew to have!) And he ends up screaming the house down.
We are at a stage where I don't believe he would dare to jump up at the table. And we have found a pit stop works really well, he usually sits on his 'spot' when we eat on the sofa etc however if there's food being dished out the best course of action is to usually pop his lead on and ask him to 'pit it'. This means lay down and don't steal. This all works so wonderfully in practise and when there are 'dog people' around. It's when we have more...naive people around (mother in law) and she just wanders in with a bread roll in her hand that we have the issue.

I have learnt to not blame him for his flaws though. In my eyes, I always ensure people know the rules of food in the house, if they choose to ignore then that is their failing... It's not Leo's fault that he has a flaw. And he's come so far in other areas that I don't believe I ask much by asking people to follow one rule!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:50 PM »
Ah lovely Leo - I to remember the river and of course the Houdini in the toilet - that's my favourite

Oh the toilet Houdini!!!! I believe I will never get him out of that one. Everyday I close the toilet lid and close the bathroom door, almost everyday I return home to the bathroom door open and the toilet seat covered in muddy paw prints. I even asked the dog walker if she goes for a wee when she comes round  :005: but nope just Houdini having a nice fresh drink  :-\

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
Leo is a honey  :luv: He has definitely challenged  :005: your patience, but what a lovely boy he has turned into. Well done all of you, definitely a team effort.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
Wonderful update!  I think the more work you have to put into them , makes it so much more rewarding. What a beauty.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Digger

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 09:13:37 AM »
Hey Leo! (My mentor) >:D

Disappointed to hear you're losing your touch.
Just thought you'd like to know-Yesterday I annihilated an entire spacehopper.
Mummy just stood there with her mouth open.
You would've been proud.
Lots of love,

Inca x  :005:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »

Yep we've certainly tried popping him in another room (or giving him an extra special chew to have!) And he ends up screaming the house down.
We are at a stage where I don't believe he would dare to jump up at the table. And we have found a pit stop works really well, he usually sits on his 'spot' when we eat on the sofa etc however if there's food being dished out the best course of action is to usually pop his lead on and ask him to 'pit it'. This means lay down and don't steal. This all works so wonderfully in practise and when there are 'dog people' around. It's when we have more...naive people around (mother in law) and she just wanders in with a bread roll in her hand that we have the issue.

I have learnt to not blame him for his flaws though. In my eyes, I always ensure people know the rules of food in the house, if they choose to ignore then that is their failing... It's not Leo's fault that he has a flaw. And he's come so far in other areas that I don't believe I ask much by asking people to follow one rule!

No of course not, it was just a suggestion that might help, as it does here. As you say he has come a long way.