Author Topic: Started barking and howling at night.  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Dragon trainer

Started barking and howling at night.
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:14:17 PM »
Our 5 year old male show cocker has started to bark during the night and last night was reluctant to go in his crate. He has always been brilliant at night, taking himself off to bed and not bothering when either me or OH get up in the night. He sleeps in a covered crate under the stairs in the dining room.

Early hours of Sunday morning he started barking and as we had company staying I got up and let him out and slept on the sofa with him. Sunday night he barked on and off for best part of the night and we decided to leave him. Eventually I got him up at 5.30am and made out it was normal getting up time, he didn’t want to go out to pee and his crate was clean and dry. Monday night he slept through as normal but Tuesday night we had a horrendous thunder storm which set him off and so I gave in at just after 5am! Last night he didn’t want to go in his crate, thought I would leave him with the crate door open and shut the stair gate so he couldn’t come upstairs. That didn’t work so ended up sleeping in the lounge again where he settled next to me and slept through to 6.30am.

Hoping it’s because it’s so hot and when things cool down he will happily go back to his crate as I can’t keep sleeping on the sofa! Anyone else having nighttime problems with their dogs and any tips/suggestions?

Offline lucybennett

Re: Started barking and howling at night.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:26 PM »
My only thought is that they go through short (sometimes inexplicable) phases. I don’t think it means he is set to do this for the rest of his life. Probably a mix of heat, storm and he has been spooked. Bailey will sometimes have a few nights of barking or needing to go out and then settles back down again for no major reason... I don’t think it’s a disaster to get up to him etc. In my experience they only get more stressed if left barking/crying rather than think great I will do this every night now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 05:48:15 PM »
Perhaps it's the heat combined with sleeping in a covered crate. Is the crate large enough for him to stand up without having to keep his head down, to turn round easily and to lay down at full stretch? If not, he could probably do with a larger crate to help keep comfortable.

My two aren't crated, but have the hall, kitchen and study to sleep in. They are very good and always quiet but during this hot weather I hear a bit more movement than usual at night and it's because they are leaving their beds periodically to cool down by stretching out on the kitchen or hall floor, or going into the kitchen for a drink from the water bowl. Most of the time they don't seem to drink during the night, but at the moment they sometimes need to.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »
I can hear Humphrey pacing around downstairs since we‘ve had this hot weather and he gets particularly restless when there are storms in the atmosphere. Could it be that he‘s just not very comfortable and/or even needs a drink? The warm air maybe doesn‘t circulate so well if the crate is covered ? Sorry if that sounds a bit patronizing, its not intended but I know  people do withhold  water
at night during the house training stages and the dogs get used to it but when its as hot as it is at the moment, I think they need to have access to water all the time.
Or could  it be he got a bit stressed when you had visitors? Humphrey‘s now 4 and has started to go and find a quiet place now out of the way when we have friends over.
Hope you can find the answer but its my guess he‘ll settle down once it gets cooler (hopefully soon!  ;) )
Best of luck!

Offline Dragon trainer

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, I am very grateful for your comments and advice. I really hope it is a phase and he will sleep in his crate when the weather cools down. In the meantime I will take the cover off and see if that helps. His crate is a reasonable size, 22” deep by 31” wide and 24” high. I will also make sure he can access his water bowl at night. If all else fails I will have to sleep on the sofa again!