Author Topic: barking for attention  (Read 5140 times)

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
Re: barking for attention
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 07:52:24 AM »
Hi Penel
Thought u might like to know how we got on last night.  It worked - no wee or pooh this morning.  ~Archie barked and whined a few times when I put him in the crate, I covered it with an old duvet cover.  We didn't respond and I  heard no more - or maybe we were just so tired didn't hear him.  I woke up at 5,30am not a sound.  Went downstairs at 6am and I woke him up.
I hope it goes as smoothly tonight.  I can't thank you enough. I've actually put the mop and bucket away!
Regards
Vikki

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 08:31:01 AM »
Oh dear what a terrible night!! Put archie in the crate - no problems.  Then 1am he started to bark.  Waited for a quiet second took him out in the garden and he did a wee.  Put him back in the crate did not talk to him at all.  The barking started and went on until 4am ie. 3 hours, I didn't sleep at all.  Finally I could stand it no longer especially as the barking became very distressed.  I waited for a quiet moment again and went downstairs - oh what a mess.  The poor thing had poohed and been sick - I felt really sorry for him.  I took him in the garden, cleared up but did not have the heart to lock him back in the crate.
I really need some reassurance here that I am doing the right thing.  He is quite a clingy dog who wants to be around people all the time and follows us wherever we go in the house, except for upstairs.  I am worried that putting him in the crate might make him more clingy.
During the day when I leave  him for a few hours he is fine.
Please help me, I have never felt so exhausted in all my life.  I really do not feel like going into work today.
I look forward to  hearing your advice.
Vikki
ps sorry the message is a bit long, but I really do feel quite distraught.

Penel

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Put the crate upstairs in your room for a while, and do the same thing as before.... he might feel more reassured if he can see you.
Sorry to hear last night didn't go as well as the night before - it is often two steps forward, one back - and sometimes the other way round - but te other night proved it can be done, so persevere - you just have to jiggle things around a bit until you find the solution that's right for all of you.
What does he eat - what's his diet ?  what time do you feed him in the evenings ?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 09:05:06 AM »
Oh, poor you.  I do sympathise - those first few months with a puppy are such hard work and not the lovely cuddly fun you expect!  ::)  Honestly, it does get better but I certainly spent a few weeks/months thinking I had made a terrible mistake getting a puppy!  I wouldn't be without her now though  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 09:53:02 AM »
Hi
Ok will try that, it has been so nice not getting up to wee.  Does your response mean I'm NOT BEING CRUEL!!!
I feed him John Wellbeloved chicken and rice puppy food and add some cooked chicken as he is not too keen on the dried stuff.  We walk him first thing in the morning and then at 4ish in the evening and feed him between 5 and 6pm as well as in the morning at around 7.30am.
I'm at work now and logged on here because I am so worried and upset.  Having an 8 month old puppy is causing me more sleepless nights than my children when they were babies.  I don't regret getting Archie he's a real asset to our family but we must sort this problem out.
i'm fortunate that I work part-time and close tohome so am able to go home at lunchtimes.  Any further advice will be most welcome.  I hope I'm not coming across as a pain.
many thanks
Vikki

Penel

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2006, 05:11:47 PM »
No you are not a pain, but I can feel you are getting more and more stressed out, which won't be helping the situation.  Try and chill out a bit, it WILL be fine, it's just taking a while....
If you make sure before he goes to bed he has a wee etc in the garden, or a very short lead walk - then some "calm time" before you put him in his crate.
I put all my pups upstairs in a crate, rather than downstairs - I think they feel more secure that way. 
I just re-read my previous advice to you and it said to keep the crate downstairs  :lol: - but, you have to be flexible - if that isn't working, then you change things around. ;)  I probably would try and persevere with the crate downstairs  -you've had a 50% success rate in the last two days haven't you..... but if you are totally knackered, then I also understand that, and would say it's more likely he will sleep through if the crate is in your room.
Good luck tonight, if you have any Rescue Remedy put some in his drinking water (and in yours too  ;):D

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2006, 05:23:34 PM »
Thank you for your reassurance and taking the time to respond.  I will try to relax a bit and will certainly take your advice to try again.  If it doesn't work downstairs then will try upstairs as a last resort.
It looks in your photo that your cocker is chocolate and white, so is Archie.  I think this colour looks gorgeous, so many people comment on his markings and colouring.  We had a tri-colour before, a girl, and we certainly didn't have these problems.  Still Archie is a great character and a real pleasure to be with - most of the time!!
I'll give some serious thought to the rescue remedy mmmm!
Will let you know  how I get on tonight.
Many t hanks again
Vikki

Penel

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »
She's liver and white (the correct term  ;)) and I also have an orange and white show strain cocker as well  :D

Offline KellyS

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »
Hi Vickki

I can really sympathise with you as I have exactly the same problem at the moment with my 5 month old pup Bliss. She is exactly the same although we do shut her in a crate at night but she either wakes up or gets so excited by the time we can get her out in the mornings she has peed in there >:( She is the biggest attention seeker I have ever known and she wakes up barking and crying every morning.

If we leave her she pees and will just carry on and on.  I have ignored her for hours before  but she just carries on!!!  She was very good to paper train and has been very good house training wise in the house in general but she just can't seem to go through the night. Never known a pup like this before perhaps we have been spoilt the others were all so good when they were pups. I will be interested to see how you get on. I am hoping that Bliss is going to grow out it. :-\

Kelly & the Keladity Klan

Visit our website
www.keladitycockers.co.uk
Dogs laugh but they laugh with their tails! - Max Eastman

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2006, 08:15:05 PM »
Im having the same problem with Glen, I have allowed him to sleep upstairs with us twice(not consistent I know but both times I have been drunk so wasn't a concious decision) the night but he wee.s every night when we put him to bed in kitchen. I was hoping that because he's only 12 weeks. hope we don't still have this problem months down the road.  :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2006, 10:35:35 PM »
No you are not a pain, but I can feel you are getting more and more stressed out, which won't be helping the situation.  Try and chill out a bit, it WILL be fine, it's just taking a while....
If you make sure before he goes to bed he has a wee etc in the garden, or a very short lead walk - then some "calm time" before you put him in his crate.
I put all my pups upstairs in a crate, rather than downstairs - I think they feel more secure that way. 
I just re-read my previous advice to you and it said to keep the crate downstairs  :lol: - but, you have to be flexible - if that isn't working, then you change things around. ;)  I probably would try and persevere with the crate downstairs  -you've had a 50% success rate in the last two days haven't you..... but if you are totally knackered, then I also understand that, and would say it's more likely he will sleep through if the crate is in your room.
Good luck tonight, if you have any Rescue Remedy put some in his drinking water (and in yours too  ;):D

Crate upstairs would be my suggestion and move it slowly over time out into the hall and then if ok downstairs.
Do not rush this process.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline vikkichance

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
Hi Kelly and TdBrims
You don't how it makes me feel better to know other cocker owners are in the same position, although I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  I'm dreading going to bed this evening.  Perhaps I will see how he goes tonight in the kitchen and if it doesn't work will take the crate upstairs.  I really don't want to be cleaning up so much mess at 4am in the morning again.  It's 10.30pm now and it's amazing how one copes with only 3 hours sleep.
Well goodnight and I'll post how it went on here tomorrow.
Thanks yawn yawn.
Vikki

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 12:22:22 PM »
Hey you, hope you had a better night, Im going to suggest to my OH that we let Glen sleep in the bedroom as Im not so insistent he sleeps downstairs and if he wakes a up and has a rootle around it will be me that he disturbs and Id rather let him out to the garden then than clean up accidents in morning. I get up at least once a night for the bathroom myself so we could just establish a routine where I wake him and and make him visit the garden while Im up. Suppose although that works fine for me it maybe wont work so well for you. I know some people are reall against having dogs in the bedroom but at the end of the day Id be happier and Glen would be happier so its a win win situation for us. 

Theresa  ;)
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Penel

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2006, 09:36:44 AM »
So Vikki we haven't heard from you in a couple of days, howz it going ?

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2006, 10:26:40 PM »
She's fallen asleep  :lol: :lol:

Vikki I had this with Daisy when she was Archie's age.  She just kept waking up earlier and earlier - nearly drove me mad  >:(  Also if the barking didnt work she used to try 'digging' at the door and floor (both brand new  >:( )

I'm afraid i just went with the 'ignore it' school of thought and only came downstairs when she was quiet.  I looked like an extra from 'Night of the Living Dead' for about 4 weeks but it did eventually work  ;)

hope you are having some success  :D
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me