Author Topic: why do we get geeted with food & growling talk.  (Read 1485 times)

Offline bryholme

• Site Member
why do we get geeted with food & growling talk.
« on: January 13, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
whenever we come into the house we are greeted by squeels of delight then she races to her biscuit bowl grabs one runs past us growling not an aggresive growl but as though she is talking to us then sometimes eats the biscuit still talking or hides it. This conti nues even when we ignore her. Any thoughts as to why, she is an only dog so is not in competition with anything else. She has always been a fussy eater and will only eat what and when she wants. Does anybody else have this weird behaviour and have you cured it.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
Re: why do we get geeted with food & growling talk.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:30:34 AM »
It sounds to me like just talking. All growling is not necessarily aggresson. Some dogs will growl, more of a grumble when playing with a favorite toy, I have one that growls and grumbles when she is being towel dried, but she actually likes it.

I don't really know why they do it, my guess is it's a form of communication that we don't understand since it does sound like aggression to us.

If she's not behaving aggressively I wouldn't worry about it too much, nor would I try to correct it. (unless she's doing it so loud you can't hear yourself think :005: 
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:56:10 AM »
I agree.  I don't see any need to correct it if she is not being aggressive  ;)

A lot of people on here say that their cocker runs to get something to greet them with - usually a toy.  Coco usually gets her teddy and always greets me with something in her mouth ::)  This sounds like the same sort of behaviour to me - I think it is just a cocker thing!
Julie and Watson

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
I've just remembered something else (that's why the dust and cobwebs are flying :005:

There is something called displacement, where the dog shows what appears to be an inappropriate response--growling in this case--when they are excited or stressed or dealing with some other doggy emotion that is very strong for them.

Again, if she is not doing anything else aggressive, I would just call it a cute little quirk of hers ;)
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
Dogs do pleasure growls as well as warning/aggressive growls. You can usually hear the difference quite distinctively, hard to explain but it has a different tone to it and obviously you also have all the body language, so my view is that a dog who is really excited running around the house with a biscuit and growling to herself, that's just pure excitement and happiness. If I throw a stick into the river for Bella she will growl as she runs into the water to get it because she just loves it. She also growls doing the wall of death round the house when she's just over-excited.

Bella and Zorro continually play growl at each other during games, their noises range from little squeaks which sound a bit like chimpanzees, to pleasurable little rumbling noises to slightly more boisterous growling - none of it's aggressive, half the time they literally lie there cuddling and nuzzling each other with their tails going like the clappers - they couldn't be happier!
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 05:00:03 PM »
Meg greets me with high pitched squeals and Jakey grabs the nearest toy whilst growling and snorting.  Jakey's very vocal and sometimes just grumbles for the sake of it.

We've found there is a BIG difference between aggressive and play growling, Jakey's face and eyes change when he's being aggressive.

Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:47:10 PM »
Meg greets me with high pitched squeals and Jakey grabs the nearest toy whilst growling and snorting.  Jakey's very vocal and sometimes just grumbles for the sake of it.

We've found there is a BIG difference between aggressive and play growling, Jakey's face and eyes change when he's being aggressive.

Maudie grumbles and little woofs lol! V cute!!!!
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
If our dogs are out on the drive when a visitors arrives they all get very excited.  ::)

In their excitement Max will hump Sapphi while Barney is growling and yapping whilst hanging on to one Max's back legs! He's done this from being very young and I was mortified as it sounded truly dreadful. I made a panic call to my dog trainer friend who came to see him in action and its all down to excitement. She told me to ignore it, which I did (though it gets some funny looks) and over time its got less and less. It still happens sometimes but not all the time.

I suspect your dogs behaviour is something similar, ignore it for now and monitor it.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 09:30:53 PM »
In their excitement Max will hump Sapphi while Barney is growling and yapping whilst hanging on to one Max's back legs!

:rofl1: :rofl1:

This made me laugh - I am just imagining the scene of them putting on a 3-dog sex show when the vicar comes to tea!  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »
In their excitement Max will hump Sapphi while Barney is growling and yapping whilst hanging on to one Max's back legs!

This made me laugh - I am just imagining the scene of them putting on a 3-dog sex show when the vicar comes to tea!  :005:

Joules you made me laugh so much I had to explain my self to my OH!  :005: His response "You're all mad bu$$ers!"  He might be on to something!  :lol:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)