Author Topic: Scaredy Cooper  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Scaredy Cooper
« on: April 18, 2004, 04:39:24 PM »
Hi all

Have just mentioned this on another thread and thought I'd ask for some advice.

Cooper is now just under 17 weeks old and although he's been out and about every day since we've had him, he is quite a sissy when it comes to meeting other dogs.  We've met some dogs out and he ignores the little ones (never wants to play) and barks 'ferociously' :lol:  at the bigger ones.  

The problem is in the house.  We regularly have doggy visitors - Rocky(retreiver X), Holly (labX), Lucy(border collie), Leah(boxer), Kayleigh (westie) and Beth (CKCS) to name but a few.  Morgan loves them all, and has done since day one  :D .  Cooper is fine with the smaller ones but no matter how many times a big dog comes into the house he runs round the kitchen howling and hides under a small table in the corner.  He has actually weed on the floor with the fright a couple of times  :(

Does anyone have any suggestions to help solve this problem? I have been taking them out both separately and together as I was worried that he'd become too attached/dependant on Morgan.  Morgan was never nervous of anything - always very outgoing so this is a completely new sitiation for me.  Any ideas??  :?  :wink:                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »
Awww poor Cooper, can't  really suggest anything, other than what you are doing already Shirley!  Maybe it will just take him more time to get used to the big dogs :?

I am sure in a couple of months he will be running around the fields with all them, not phased in the slightest :)                    

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 10:19:29 PM »
Shirley, I would be inclined to ignore Coopers reaction to your doggy visitors. Just carry on about things as usual and when he sees that there's nothing to be worried about he'll eventually venture out from under the table. By ignoring his behaviour you are re-affirming that nothing is wrong, whereas if you try coaxing him out and show sympathy he may feel he has just cause to be worried.

Worth giving a try anyway  :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 10:43:11 PM »
I agree with Michele - don't react at all when Cooper is acting scared (difficult I know if he's howling like a banshee!) & eventually his curiosity will get the better of him (Cockers hate being ignored don't they?) I would think that Cooper is different to Morgan perhaps because you got him when he was a little older? At 11-12 weeks, lots of puppies start to enter their "fear period" when they may react badly to things they haven't encountered before (eg big dogs), specially if the puppy is on the sensitive side. Hopefully, Cooper will get over this phase with time although it might take a little while :)                    
Jane

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004, 11:35:47 PM »
Thanks folks

I'll definately ignore him from now on - it is difficult 'cos yes he does howl like a banshee, Jane  :roll:   :roll:  I'll need to make sure that Eric does the same as he's only been in a couple of times when it's happened and he was really surprised at the reaction and did actually lift him out from under the table.

It had crossed my mind that it could be because we got him later and he'd probably only seen other cockers until he was 11 weeks  :wink: .  We'll keep working on it and I'm sure we'll get there  :)

Thanks again for the advice  :D                    
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 07:44:28 AM »
Joining this one a bit late :roll:  but just wanted to say that I agree with the others. Dallas was the same when he was younger but not as badly affected as Cooper. I found ignoring his behaviour helped - which is useful now as his training class consists mainly of german shepherds :lol:  I also put it down to not getting him at 8 weeks - in fact, I use that as an excuse for all his behaviour problems :wink:  :lol:   I'm sure Cooper will overcome his fear and play happily with bigger dogs in time.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline mum of kimmi

• Site Member
  • some days are harder than others!!
Scaredy Cooper
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 09:51:14 PM »
We have the oposite problem with Kimmi, she is not afraid of any big dogs, but show her a small nice cute one that she can play with, and she goes shy and tries to hide!!

The best example of this was in the vets when out came a Red Setter and Kimmi wanted to play.  Out of the next room came a small Jack Russell puppy, and she hid behind me and weed all over the floor. :oops:                    
Kimmi's mum