Author Topic: Indie ran out into the road today, he's fine but  (Read 1597 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Indie ran out into the road today, he's fine but
« on: April 27, 2004, 04:23:12 PM »
my heart nearly stopped.

We had just arrived at the park this morning, and were a good 300ft past the gates, where I usually tell him to sit and let him off his lead. We then normally go over this bridge into a huge field area, where he plays with all his puppy pals. There are loads of dog walkers there, it's so friendly.

We'd just said good morning to some dogs he knows at the entrance, and gone into the park itself, and he suddenly darted back to the gates. I shouted for him to sop, and no!, but he ignored me and ran straight into the road. One of my dog owner pals grabbed him, I nearly died, I thought that was it.Luckily no cars, the road is usually so busy, and that's why I make sure we are well away from the gates when I let him off.

He's been doing so well, I practice his recall daily, and on his walks he comes back every few minutes when I call him, just to keep him used to it. Of course, after he was rescued today I didn't know what to do, tell him off or what, I was in tears, and one of the ladies gave me a hug and a hankie, bless her.

Anyway - any advice? Is there anything I'm doing wrong/or not at all? I'm desperate to avoid this in future. My heart can't stand it!                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline picklesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 05:00:34 PM »
Oh Shona, what a fright you must have got. I can't really offer any advice, as Pickle doesn't yet have much traffic sense either, and I really have to keep him on the lead near roads. Once, when he was off the lead near our house, I turned my back on him for what seemed like 2 seconds, turned round, and he was LYING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!!! I screamed, and hubbie came running out the house thinking I'd been attacked! Luckily there were no cars around, but I was so scared, I really thought he was a gonner.
If only there was a Tufty Club for Cockers, so they could learn the Green Cross Code!!!
I'll be interested to hear what advice comes from the others....am sure someone will come along soon with some good tips  :D
Emma and Pickle xx                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 05:24:19 PM »
This is a terrifying experience that most of us get to go through at some time or another. The natural instinct is to scream and shout. That's the last thing you should do and you really have to behave the opposite of what your instincts tell you.

Shouting will make him not want to come back - you need to call happily to encourage him back and then praise him for coming back. Telling him off will confuse him.

It's not easy I've had to do it a couple of times with Jasp n Bud if they've got out and it doesn't feel right - also ppl think you're mad - you should be shouting :shock:

You need think about it from his perspective. He sees no difference in a road a park a field etc etc - it's all just space and all interesting. What he needs to know is that when you call - he comes back. Go back to basics on recall training, use treats etc etc. Don't put him on the lead everytime you call him back either - just call him and give him praise and a treat and a cuddle - then send him away again. This way he won't associate being recalled with going back on the lead - although sometimes it will mean that. You'll have more chance of success if coming back means fun - not trouble. :D  Oh if only it was as easy as writing it :D

I hope you've recovered from your shock. But now he's done it once - you'll not be taken quite so by surprise if he tries it again :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 06:48:58 PM »
Awww Shona, you must have been petrified!  So glad he was caught in time :)

I can't really offer any advise, but similar has happened to me twice now with Indie, both at new places to her, one time she scented back to the car park :shock:  I was running the opposite way shouting BISCUIT INDIE not a chance, she carried on, and we had no choice but to go after her :roll:   Second time was when we were out walking with Michelle (Topaz Billy) there was a dog loose that Indie was not too sure about, we had walked past the dog and Indie was standing there, then suddenly she bolted off, so I tried the nicely nicley approach and nothing, so I ended up on my knees walking along the floor, holding out a treat for her :?

It really is scarey when this happens, and its really difficult to keep to the rules, run opposite direction act happy etc!  I am very cautious now when at new places I make sure we are well away from roads, railway lines and canals :roll:  before I let her off, just in case!

Good luck with the recall, I am sure he will get back into it, probably just a one off :)                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 07:00:43 PM »
Just a thought Shona, but does Indie enjoy playing retrieving games??

The reason that I'm asking is that Blue was never very good on recall and had me a nervous wreck whenever he was off lead, but I got round this by getting him to retrieve his ball, I never let him play with the ball at home, it is only for when we go out and Blue knows when he see's his ball that it means lots of fun and now if Blue goes to run off on me I just shout "come get your ball" and he's there at my feet :wink:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline DIANNE32

• Site Member
    • http://www.DIDO.mypetpages.net
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »
:( I know exactly how you feel, i was walking Bailey in the park and he did the same.  He followed his own scent to where we once parked the car, he ran straight over a normally very busy road.  On this occasion there was a car coming, but luckily they saw me running after him and stopped.  My heart was in my mouth. i thought i'd lost him and like you didnt know whether to shout at him or pick him up and love him.  Now when we walk on the park i tend to walk the other way when we get near the entrance and i keep shouting him to come to me.  So far this has been sucessful and he hasn't run off. Cockers hey, what shall we do with them!!!! :P                    
DIANNE,CHRIS, BAILEY & EBONY
[http://www.dido.mypetpages.net

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:23:15 PM »
I know that feeling well. Wilf decided to head towards the railway line the other day (that borders the top of the one of the fields we go to a lot) and while its fenced there's the odd hole. A friend's dog was killed on that stretch of line just after new year and so its a worry. The solution I had which worked was to run in the opposite direction shouting like a banshee waving my arms around much to the amusement of my friend. But then at the point Wilf broke his concentration on heading to look at the fence he saw me running away from him which was enough to entice him running away from the fence. Normally he isn't interested in the fence but he saw another dog investigating it and thought he would too.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:28:31 PM »
Thanks Gilly, that makes a lot of sense.

I kept him on for his walk this morning till we were well inot the park, and he was good, so hopefully he won't do it again. He met his pal Baxter the Beagle, who's like a wind up toy who never stops, so he's knackered and asleep on my feet now.

Many thanks Shona x                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 12:30:31 PM »
Just a thought Shona, but does Indie enjoy playing retrieving games??

The reason that I'm asking is that Blue was never very good on recall and had me a nervous wreck whenever he was off lead, but I got round this by getting him to retrieve his ball, I never let him play with the ball at home, it is only for when we go out and Blue knows when he see's his ball that it means lots of fun and now if Blue goes to run off on me I just shout "come get your ball" and he's there at my feet :wink:

He does Maria, thanks, but he's much more food oriented, can take or leave his ball. I practice recall literally about 20 times a day, but I think he just got a scent and was off, the scamp!

That's a good idea actually for a ball for walks, I just bought one of those ball launcher things, so you don't bend down to get it, I'll keep that in the car now, thanks

Shona x                    

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 12:32:26 PM »
Thanks everyone - I love this place. It's good to know it's happened to you all too. Took him back there today, and he was fine, met his pals and ran off lead for nearly an hour chasing each other. There's always a great group of friendly dog walkers there, and I get a chat while he exercises  :lol:

thanks

Shona x                    

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 09:04:38 AM »
Hi

My collie did that, but he actually ran home over two reasonably main roads :shock: , When I look back on it I found out that he's terrified of german shepards, and me going out of sight to rescue someone's trapped dog didn't help. It probably had nothing to do with you teaching to come back to you regularly because some dogs simply panic when their owners out of sight, and no matter how much you shout, they will keep running :roll: .

Cayley                    
Cayley.