Author Topic: Barking  (Read 1386 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Barking
« on: May 05, 2004, 09:39:50 AM »
Hi all

I'm having a bit of a problem with Blue barking at people whilst in the car at the moment, they dont even have to approach the car, just walk past and off he goes! He's not at all aggresive, just likes the sound of his own voice! I dont know how to deal with this, I've tried ignoring him and as I feel if I reward him when he is quiet (which is when whoever has gone) then he will take it as being rewarded for barking at them, what do I do?????                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline daftcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.chaysonniecockers.co.uk
Barking
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:11:29 AM »
Having the same problem with Sonny at the moment, he suddenly thinks he can bark in the car and in his cage (at shows), think hes just getting like a man all talk :D  :D                    
WWW.CHAYSONNIECOCKERS.CO.UK

Thanks susan and the gang

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Barking
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »
Billy does this :x if someone comes to the car window he goes potty, not too bad if they walk straight past, he is wagging his tail the whole time and on the rare occassion that somebody has then put their hand in the window he licks them :shock:  We try to distract him with something else but not always easy :roll:

Michelle                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:51:18 PM »
Tia becomes quite frantic very quickly if people come and stop near the car. Most embarrassing when asking directions :x
She barks, then growls then snarles, hurling herself about. (She does the same to the postman even if she sees him in the next street :oops:) I don't want to even think about what she'd do if loose, but I have a feeling she only does this when we are in the car too?????
This is all out of character with how she behaves the rest of the time.                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Sallylou

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 10:22:37 PM »
I think it is a territory thing.  Our weimaraner used to go to work with my huaband and basically lived in the van, when it was parked outside work he would leave the tailgate open and Max was on a long rope so he could have a little wander round or just be in his basket in the van.  He had the life of Riley, as it was opposite a bakery and their customers used to bring him pies etc (the dog, not hubby!).  However one day a lady who had met him before but on neutral ground, leaned in the back of the van to say hello, and he went bonkers and leapt at her, snapping and snarling, which was pretty out of character for him.  This was the only time he ever did anything like this with a human being, so can only think it was a case of guarding his territory (though he did sleep through a burglary, and would not investigate noises outside if it was dark, unless we went first!!).
You can't blame the dogs, I would'nt stick my head or hand into a car with a dog in, would you??!   :roll:                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »
I think hes just protecting the car Maria, not in a viscious way, but just letting people know hes there :wink:   It could be a LOOK AT ME bark and not a DONT COME NEAR BARK :wink:                    

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 08:50:16 AM »
think hes just getting like a man all talk :D  :D

Ahhhhhh so it a man thing!! :lol:  :lol:

This is a really hard one for us to sort out

I agree with you Emma that he is protecting the car, he does the same at home if someone comes near the house, but I dont discourage this as I quite like the fact that I feel safe when he barks :wink:

I really would like to stop him from barking in the car though - I dont think my ears can take much more! :roll:

Anyone any idea's?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:24:39 AM »
How about giving him a kong Maria, stuff it with soft cheese, might take his mind of whats going on outside.

Thats if he likes cheese of course.  :wink:                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Barking
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 10:48:36 AM »
Brogan's crate is covered in a lightweight sheet in the car - he settles down with his kong/treat and doesn't bother with outside - cause he can't see whats going on.  We did this after a couple of noisy outings - works for us - for now anyway :wink:

Very rare that Brogan is left on his own in the car - do my best to avoid it - however when I have done - I like the fact that no-one can see what is in the crate.                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09