Author Topic: Why does Rio stand over Mika?  (Read 545 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Why does Rio stand over Mika?
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:56:44 PM »
Strange one, its being going on for months. Mika takes no notice, just lies there cleaning her feet with Rio stood over her?! Its not causing any trouble, just wondered why she does it. I was lay on the floor the other day and she did it to me!!! I just pushed her away. I don't know what she thinks shes doing!!!  :005:

Offline Marina and Saartje

• www.cockerandfriends.nl
Re: Why does Rio stand over Mika?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
Standing over Mika is een dominant postion. It's not agressive or anythng just makes clear she's the boss. Saartje does it With Teun too. I woudn't let him standing over me, so I think you did the right thing by pushing her away
greetings,
Marina, Saartje and Teun

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
I don't know why they do it - Normy stands over Dave but she also did similar to my OH when he moved in she didn't stand over him as he was never on the floor :lol: but she used to posture in front of him in the front room if we were watching telly. She'd stand really proud with her back to him and legs slightly splayed showing off her muscles but she's never tried to dominate any of us and for all her posturing, if anyone has an upper hand in the dogs relationship I'd say it was Dave but that's only based on the fact that Normy lets him take things from her - food, toys etc.

I'm not sure there is always a dominant dog in multi-dog households, there is no obvious dominant dog with my two they're both quite strong personalities that have worked out how to live together and be polite with each other. Watching them wrestle is wonderful they've both learnt moves from each other and take it in turns to be the winner it's incredibly fair and lovely to watch, although Dave's spinning body slam isn't quite as effective as Normy's :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 08:45:12 PM »
What I find really strange is that Rio is the biggest baby ever. I think, if I wrapped her up in a blanket and popped her in a cot with a dummy she'd be well happy  :005: It seems strange that she'd want to work her way up the pile if you know what I mean! When Mika arrived, she ran and hid under the dining table and took her a good couple of days for her to not fear her (the big scary dog Mika is  ::) :005:). Roxy is the bossy one, Rio is always bottom of the pile - the others all slot somewhere in between. I'm not at all concerned about it, Mika is always away with the fairies and just sees it as play or most of the time doesn't even notice  :005: