Author Topic: Bed for arthritic 14 year old  (Read 3055 times)

Offline howells

• Site Member
Bed for arthritic 14 year old
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
Barnaby has always slept on a sofa or chair I'm ashamed to say but has problems jumping up now. Have tried a dog bed in the past when he was a pup but didn't really train him so he didn't bother, now I'm sure he would be more comfortable on his own bed. Any suggestions of what to buy and how to get him to use it?

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Bed for arthritic 14 year old
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
When Ben was that age he sometimes had small accidents so it needed to be washable, he used to feel the cold as well so I just bought a really thick 13 tog double duvet and folded it into a square and put a fleecy blanket on top. It seemed supportive enough for his joints but kept him really warm as he could snuggle down into it.  I found Ben was less stiff in the mornings when he was kept warm so it worked for us  :luv:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 11:42:23 AM »
Daisy has a duvet in her crate, nice and deep and cosy. She often chooses that over the couch or the chair.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
The other thing always popular with Ben and Harry loves them too are the Teddy Bear throws from Dunelm, they are about £10 but very soft and warm and wash really well

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »
My last clumber became arthritic quite young, I bought him a good memory foam dog bed which really seemed to help. I am not 100% sure but think it was from pet fusion. I have tuffies for Reese that are also very tough and supportive. He will probably settle in to a nice bed quite easy as it sounds like it's too much getting on and off the sofa.

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 05:49:48 PM »
Thanks for those tips. The teddy throws look good but how to get him to use them? He's sleeping on the floor at the moment on a rug but he will ignore blankets or cushions I put down for him as he's not used to them. Very frustrating.

Offline howells

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
My last clumber became arthritic quite young, I bought him a good memory foam dog bed which really seemed to help. I am not 100% sure but think it was from pet fusion. I have tuffies for Reese that are also very tough and supportive. He will probably settle in to a nice bed quite easy as it sounds like it's too much getting on and off the sofa.

Thanks for the advice, what are 'tuffies'?

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 07:21:32 PM »
Tuffies are another dog bed manufacturer,  i like them as they keep their shape and don't go soggie like a lot of beds do.
Hope you find something that suits him. ☺

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 08:04:31 PM »
http://www.tuffies.co.uk/
Another fan here too, really good quality beds. Very hard wearing and good support for a soft bed.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 04:09:43 PM »
I recently purchased a new bed for Jazz from Joules.  I am delighted with it.  The cover is extremely tough and washes well.  The zip is fitted to the long edge of the bed so no struggling to get the mattress section back inside the cover.  It is very thick and comfortable and completely unhumpable, (if that is a word), so does not go out of shape like most of Jazz's previous beds have done.  It is a large cushion type bed as Jazz does not like beds with raised sides.  This is his bed for the lounge.  At night he also sleeps on a folded duvet.   He stands at the side of it for me to lift up the corner of the duvet so he can lie on the bottom half and then I tuck him in.  Not spoiled !

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
Suki has a comfy bed in the living room but sleeps in the utility room at night (her choice as she has never come upstairs with the rest of us!)   We got rid of our old sofa some time ago, but kept one of the cushions.  She sleeps on top of that with an old duvet on it and likes to snuggle down.  She is 13 and also gets quite stiff, but loves her "night time" bed and sometimes even takes herself off there during the day as well as she obviously finds it more comfortable than her "day" bed.
Hope you find something that works for you all.   ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 08:30:45 AM »
He stands at the side of it for me to lift up the corner of the duvet so he can lie on the bottom half and then I tuck him in. 

:luv: :luv: that made me smile, these cockers do like their comfort don't they

Offline cockersarespecialpeople

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 07:38:20 PM »
Barnaby has always slept on a sofa or chair I'm ashamed to say but has problems jumping up now. Have tried a dog bed in the past when he was a pup but didn't really train him so he didn't bother, now I'm sure he would be more comfortable on his own bed. Any suggestions of what to buy and how to get him to use it?

Hi there

This is just a thought as I know you've asked for suggestions for a bed but it occurred to me that you can buy ramps in order to ease a dogs' entry to and from a car.  I'm sure you could use one of these if you thought it appropriate to help Barnaby remain on the sofa or chair?  There is a company called Orvis where you can obtain them.  They also supply very nice orthopaedic dog beds too.  [I don't work for them by the way!! :005:]

Good luck!
Millie & Raffles running free over the Bridge.  Miss you always our special ones.