Author Topic: Kalm Aid - update a very small triumph  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Kalm Aid - update a very small triumph
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:39:29 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has tried it and with what sort of success?
Really struggling with Harry and clipping his face again, we have just got another lip fold infection under control and want to try to keep it that way.
The vet has said they can sedate Harry so I can clip him, but that will be as a last resort as its not something I would want to put him through on a regular basis, she gave me a leaflet for Kalm Aid that promises all sorts of wonderful things  ;) like a fast reduction in anxiety and nervousness to cope with a stressful event. 

I would be really interested to hear about anyone's experiences - good and bad to see if its worth trying
thanks  :luv:

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
Re: Kalm Aid
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 05:13:27 PM »
I have heard of good results for humans, so why not a dog.   My grandson used it to pass his driving test & passed first time, he has also used it for job interviews.
Boots chemist sell it, but I think I have seen it at our Asda chemist, it will be cheaper there.
regards from Julie & Kez

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
I give it to Maddie every day as she has become fearful aggressive. She gets half the dose. I think it does make a  difference as I noticed she was more excitable when she didn't get it for four days when we left it at our caravan. Really not sure if it would make a difference when clipping Harry, worth a try though.
 I buy the liquid form from Amazon.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »
We use Rescue Remedy with our dogs and it helps.
Good luck whatever you use.  ;)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 08:21:55 AM »
Thanks all  :bigarmhug:
I had no idea it was for people as well, just assumed it was for the pet market, if all else fails I might dose myself up before I atempt to clip Harry  :005:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:42 AM »
When Archie was younger I had a lot of success with this. http://www.petremedy.co.uk/
I used the diffuser and also the spray, which seems to have an instant calming effect. It is a silent spray action so doesn't alarm them. You can spray it in the air above them or into their bedding etc. Mum uses it for Jade Who gets quite anxious when there are visitors in the house.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 10:41:14 AM »
When Archie was younger I had a lot of success with this. http://www.petremedy.co.uk/
I used the diffuser and also the spray, which seems to have an instant calming effect. It is a silent spray action so doesn't alarm them. You can spray it in the air above them or into their bedding etc. Mum uses it for Jade Who gets quite anxious when there are visitors in the house.

Thanks for the link Emma, have bought some for the holiday journey - thought I would spray it on the crate bedding before we set out, so have got some now to try at home for a couple of weeks.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Re: Kalm Aid - update a very small triumph
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:48:47 PM »
Well it's day one of trying Kalm aid, and will have to take it very slow with Harry, but he let me touch his mouth and under his chin the first time for a couple of months  :D
I was able to put my hands both sides of his face and stroke down around his mouth, he wasn't stressed or anxious particually, but I didn't push my luck.
Will try to build up over the next few days till he lets me get near him with scissors, not risking clippers yet, but feeling hopeful

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Kalm Aid - update a very small triumph
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:20:59 AM »
That is sounding hopeful, as you say I think slowly, slowly is the key here  :D :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.