Author Topic: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options  (Read 27796 times)

Offline DeeDee

Re: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
No helpful suggestions or advice but lots of positive vibes and big cyber hugs. I think you are being wonderful and trying so hard to find a solution to Archie's problems. Good luck!  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:  Diana xx

Offline lescef

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
I know you've had lots of suggestions and sound like you are doing well but these are a couple of things we were told to try with Bramble: as she's easily aroused she needed to learn self control so we had to teach her to wait before she was allowed to retrieve the ball. It's taken us quite a while!
We would also put her in a stay, hide the ball, or a toy or treats  in the undergrowth,  return to her then tell her to find it. We found that when we got home she would settle more quickly instead of tearing round still wanting to play!  Dropping treats in small piles on the grass as you walk then sending them to sniff for them also gives their brain a good work out.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #152 on: September 18, 2015, 11:38:56 PM »
Just checking in on your situation with Archie, and wanting to send my best wishes.
You are both on my mind  :-*
Xx
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
Just checking in on your situation with Archie, and wanting to send my best wishes.
You are both on my mind  :-*
Xx

Me too Lesley and thinking of you and sending :bigarmhug:

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
Re getting enough exercise could someone with a cycle take him for a run I know a lot of active dogs love that , I really  feel for you

Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline honeysmun

• Site Member
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:23 AM »
Thinking of you both
val xx

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »
Hi there.  We are still hanging on in there.  Archie is still hyper and has the usual moments of circling/barking etc, even though we have ramped up the exercise and training. 

To be honest though, I'm at a standstill.  I'm still having to keep daughter and dog separate but it's hard work.  He just barks and barks when confined behind gates/in crate when daughter about, which really stresses both us and him out.  I'm going to try and muzzle him when she around to gauge his reactions but can I ever really trust him again with her?  Is it fair to muzzle him on a daily basis? 

On a more positive note, I contacted Last Chance Hotel, a rescue in Cornwall, as recommended by another COL'er.  They sound like they may take him on, even though he has bitten before.  I said I was giving it another couple of weeks or so with the training/changing diet etc but will have to make my decision soon as things can't go on like this indefinitely.  It will be heartbreaking to let him go but I'll be relieved to think he'd have a second chance  :luv:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Bluepaula

« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »
You have been brilliant in how hard you have tried to work with him and tried everything. The last chance hotel sounds like a real option for both you and Archie!  Whatever happens no one could have tried harder than you x

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
Tbh, if they will take him, I think that is the best option. Personally I would do it asap  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
You have worked so hard for Archie.   :clapping:
With my Millie, myself and another lady having been bitten by a muzzled dog 5days ago, i can only imagine what you are going through and the worry that your daughter must feel each time Archie is near... I've been avoiding other dogs in the park...

If you muzzle Archie, please use a basket type and dont be worried that its too tight! That way he cant bite forwards, which is what happened with the dog that attacked M before the cloth muzzle came off without being undone... That enabled the second more deadly attack to take place....

Is it fair to your daughter to risk an attack, even if Archie has a muzzle on?
Surely by rehoming him, it will ease your family's stress and Archie's too.

Dont forget someone on here suggested that he might be offered to the services: that way he will be fully occupied for much of the day.
As an alternative to Last Chance have you also tried contacting Wallace Kennels in Essex?  01277 821032. They would need a full history which I'm sure you would give.... https://www.facebook.com/Wallace-Kennels-139155222803344/timeline/

But as M's vet pointed out, dogs have no way of knowing the future, especially if you are finally out of all options. You have tried your best with lots of love and dedication, but doesnt there come a time when family has to come first...

Tbh, if they will take him, I think that is the best option. Personally I would do it asap  ;)
. Can't help but agree with Joules..
Good Luck!
PS Millie is recovering well!

Offline tenaille

« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
Hi, Beau has been on his Prozac for almost 2 weeks now and his reaction to sounds in general has definitely diminished. Unfortunately his agression towards my oh hasn't really changed yet (if it will at all) so we are still in much the same position as yourself, using houseline and/or crate.  Fortunately he doesn't mind his crate and settles in it ok for mealtimes, visitors and whenever we want to just relax. He is booked in for his lipfold operation next week as we just cannot get rid of the infection permanently, hopefully this will also make him feel better as it looks  sore.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2015, 01:30:05 PM »
Hugs to Millie and yourself, it is a very scary thing to see  :'(

tenaille - this is why I don't want to go down the drugs route with Archie, there is no guarantee it will help, it may lessen his noise reactions but will it ever sort out what's wrong in his head with my daughter?  I feel for you, it is so difficult living with this type of behaviour  :bigarmhug:

Joules - I do know deep down you are right, I just feel a failure that I can't do anything else to help him...
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Online Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »

Joules - I do know deep down you are right, I just feel a failure that I can't do anything else to help him...

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but eventually you have to reach the conclusion that this is not about you, but about doing what is best for Archie and for your family.  :-\  It sounds like, inspite of everything you have tried, the situation has only got worse.  As you know, there are very few rescues that will consider taking a dog that has bitten so, if you have that option, then you should grab it with both hands. :dunno:

If you carry on trying all these random things, you risk the possibility of there being no rescue place for him when you do finally give up.  Please pursue this possibility and find out more at least
Julie and Watson

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2015, 02:10:02 PM »
They're hardly random things I'm trying.  Everything I am doing is designed to try and lessen his hyperactivity (more walks/clicker training/recall/fetch and hide/diet change etc) so I will then be able to work on other things.  Unfortunately, we are not progressing as well as I'd have liked.  Also, the rescue is in Cornwall, I'm in Yorkshire.  Hubby runs a small business and can rarely have any time off at present, that is why I'm hesitating for the moment....

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:39 PM »
Geordietyke I just wanted to say again how very sorry I am that you and your family are going through this.  I think all you have done for Archie is commendable!  I can only begin to imagine how difficult this situation is for you all  :bigarmhug:  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I'm glad to hear that the last chance hotel sounds like a possibility for you and Archie,  perhaps in a new environment they could continue with the training you have been doing without the worry of having children around.  Also if you do decide to go down this route and need somewhere to stay in Cornwall you are very welcome to use our caravan (its near Wadebridge) if its any use to you.   

Good Luck with the ongoing training - I really hope you find a solution you are happy with soon xxx
Emma, Pippa & Rory x