Author Topic: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options  (Read 27801 times)

Offline assumpta

Re: Archie bitten daughter again - out of options
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2015, 02:40:46 PM »
I've been thinking of you and Archie and feel for you all. Last year my mum rehomed a biter and very stressed dog, its been hard work but everyday they're learning about each other. Her previous owners had grandchildren and unfortunately she had bitten a few times as well as having lots of quirky moments. So please know that there is hope for Archie in a home with no children etc.

Offline daw

« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2015, 07:01:34 PM »
Hi- as a new forum member I wouldn't want to get too involved in the backstory here but we've had cockers for many years and have a little crossbreed at the moment that came from a rescue that felt he was unrehomable. (Nearly right- a month later me and OH (a volunteer there) were in accident and emergency being stitched up!) We still have him 3 years later. BUT we know he could never live with children and he needs a very simple, constant regime to keep him on the straight and narrow. Basically he doesn't see children as people but competitive small animals. He never will and he can't stand the tension of always having to compete in his own home. If a rescue will help find your boy an adult only home I would consider it. You have tried heroically to keep him. 

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »
My heart goes out to you, truly it does. 

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
If the final thing putting you off rehoming Archie is the distance between Yorkshire and the rescue in Cornwall, maybe a transport chain could be put together?  They are used a lot over here in France to transport rescue dogs between old homes, rescues and new homes.  How far could you get him yourself?  Would be COL members be willing to link together to do small (or bigger) bits of the journey with Archie?  I'm sure that hurdle could be overcome.

Offline dawn

« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2015, 09:40:17 PM »

There's a rescue in Northumberland, called Shak( safe homes and kindness) which takes last chance saloon dogs. Many of them far more aggressive than Archie sounds. They are nearer to you, and maybe worth a call if you decide t rehome. They do seem to take in a lot of german shepherds... Good luck with whatever you decide.   ;)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
HI I've not posted on here in a while but have been reading your story and feel for you.  No one can really give you advice, but I think you already know what will do.  It just takes a while to get there.

I just wanted to say I agree entirely with Joules.  By hook or by crook get yourself and Archie to Cornwall asap.  I'm only posting because we've been in a similar situation.  We had a wee cocker called Mollie that we "managed" for 5 years, but we'd both been bitten before we figured out how to deal with her.  She was more my OH's dog.  Anyway she just seemed to become more and more unhappy as the years went by, and it sounds as if Archie is one deeply unhappy dog.  It would have gotten worse as we've had 5 grandchildren born in the 4 years since she's been gone and obviously we want them to visit.  What did it for me was that, while we could manage her, her behaviour towards our other dog, Alfie, just got worse and worse, to the point where he was terrified of her.  We had a darned good behaviourist, David Ryan, come in and got lots of advice and training to do but honestly, it didn't avail much. 

I thought perhaps she might do better as an only dog and, finally, OH agreed to her going into the rescue where I volunteer, under assessment with a view to rehoming.  I knew in my heart she would fail the assessment, and she failed spectacularly, and was deemed unsafe to rehome.  I picked her up from there after her week's trial, took her to the vet and had her put to sleep.  It hurt badly because she was so overjoyed to see me because she thought she was going home, and I took her off and euthanised her.  At least she died in my arms (with a muzzle on!)

I don't regret it, even though I learned later that there are some outfits that will take dodgy cockers.  It was the right thing for us, as I do believe that there are worse things than death for some dogs, and at least I know what happened to her.  I moved on pretty quickly but OH was upset about it for months.

I'm not advising what you should do.  I just wanted to tell of my experience.  Mollie was 6 when she was PTS, and I just couldnt face another 7 years of life with her.  For me, I just think there are too many lovely lovely dogs in the world needing a home.  This for me is why I would never buy a pup.  With an adult rescue, I know exactly what I am getting.  You never know how a pup will turn out.

So good luck with whatever you do.  Only you can decide.  Wishing you all the best.
Diane xxx

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:52 AM »
For me, I just think there are too many lovely lovely dogs in the world needing a home.  This for me is why I would never buy a pup.  With an adult rescue, I know exactly what I am getting.  You never know how a pup will turn out.

To be fair, I think that for each pup like Archie, there are thousands who come through puppyhood and make great adult cockers, Lesley has been incredibly unlucky but I would not hesitate myself if the situation arose in the future to get another puppy.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
"I thought perhaps she might do better as an only dog and, finally, OH agreed to her going into the rescue where I volunteer, under assessment with a view to rehoming.  I knew in my heart she would fail the assessment, and she failed spectacularly, and was deemed unsafe to rehome.  I picked her up from there after her week's trial, took her to the vet and had her put to sleep.  It hurt badly because she was so overjoyed to see me because she thought she was going home, and I took her off and euthanised her.  At least she died in my arms (with a muzzle on!)"

Oh my how awful so heart breaking
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
Of course you're right Mudmagnets. Puppies are lovely and I'm sure 99 percent grow up to be lovely. I was just saying what works for me. Am not advocating anything in particular. I just hope Geordietyke can get sorted. Awful siuation

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #174 on: September 24, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
Lesley

The right time to make you choices will come to you and you will take that step - which ever route you take I am so deeply sorry for your turmoil and the effect on your family.  We have all cried with you.

You have looked at every option and no one could have done more to try and resolve the issues with Archie.

How wonderful the folks are on here, even the lovely offer of somewhere to stay in Cornwall.

As always thinking of you Julie

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #175 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
Of course you're right Mudmagnets. Puppies are lovely and I'm sure 99 percent grow up to be lovy. I was just saying what works for me. Am not advocating anything in particular. I just hope Geordietyke can get sorted. Awful siuation

It is indeed an awful situation and certainly not a position anyone would like to find themselves in.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline zenon_bass

« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2015, 09:03:41 AM »
Unfortunately, we are not progressing as well as I'd have liked.  Also, the rescue is in Cornwall, I'm in Yorkshire.  Hubby runs a small business and can rarely have any time off at present, that is why I'm hesitating for the moment....

There are avenues to explore re transport: first of all you would need to get the official agreement of the rescue that they accept responsibility for him once he has permanently left your house on the transport run.
The forum Rescue Helpers Unite has a transport section. Take a look (free).The rescue itself needs to be a member (free)  and then they can set up a rescue chain.  Id suggest that you let the rescue organise transport, rather than have the worry of doing it yourself., as it can be very frustrating 😉  you have enough worries as it is... All transporters are usually volunteers. Dogs are taken in controlled situations, eg crated or behind guards, always on lead, watered, toilet breaks etc.
I do know of dogs that have gone from South Essex to Scotland, so your distance isn't insurmountable, just takes a bit longer to coordinate.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
I am sure Spaniel Aid would make a plea on their facebook page for transport help ? They have lots of experienced spaniel owners on their books!

I think you really need to stop blaming yourself. I believe that dogs showing the behaviour that you are describing have something more seriously wrong with them than anything that can simply be sorted with different training/diet/medication etc.

I find it quite worrying that there appear to be so many cockers with such behaviour issues as those that have been described not only by the poster but other owners too. I am member on two labrador forums and I very rarely read any stories of behaviour issues like these! Cocker spaniels are lovely dogs, I love my girl to bits, but surely this suggests that there could be some breeding issues going on?

Offline PennyB

« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2015, 05:38:27 PM »
am not sure if I missed it but when he's biting is he marking the skin or drawing blood
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2015, 06:00:01 PM »
Just looked at Spaniel Aid on facebook, what a lovely charity they seem to be.

Julie

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed