Author Topic: He won't react to No!  (Read 1242 times)

Offline snedan

• Site Member
He won't react to No!
« on: April 04, 2006, 10:28:52 PM »
sometimes when Bear is doing something wrong I say No! and he doesn't stop and in the end it comes to having to pull him off using the leash!
any advice?

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
Re: He won't react to No!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:22 PM »
I don't know if this is an obvious question, but has Bear ever been taught the meaning of that word "no"?  Bailey didn't naturally respond to "no" either even if I yelled it or used a gruff sounding voice.   What worked better with him is if I say "uh-un" and clap my hands to startle him instead of "no".  The other thing is that you might have to teach him what "no" actually means and start associating that with stopping his actions (i.e., pulling him off something he shouldn't have, startling him with a loud sound), then he will start to learn what that word means.
Bailey and Mom

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:48:13 AM »
I remember reading somewhere that "no" is the most difficult command to train because neither to the dog or the owner/trainer have a clear idea of what it actually means  ::)

All the other commands we teach our dogs have a very clear meaning - sit, down, paw etc - but NO is a very woolly command; "stop whatever you are doing immediately" seems to be about as defined as it gets  :005: For a dog, this is quite tricky, because we actually want them to stop doing something different each time; so they can't learn it as easily as some other commands  :-\

Perhaps you could work out when you most frequently use the word NO, and substitute a command that only refers to that circumstances? For instance, if he is scavenging on walks, try training the word "leave"; or if hes being a nuisance to other dogs/people, then teach him to sit or down?

A really good book for understanding how dogs learn, and how different their thought processes are from ours is "the Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson - it's brilliant  :D

Good luck!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:28:37 AM »
Its also possible he's displaying a bit of cocker deafness as well. As waisis suggested sometimes a trigger noise to distract him might also work so he then listens to you.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline snedan

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 12:49:43 AM »
okay thanks!

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:45:12 AM »
I agree - I make a loud 'ah ah' noise & follow up with a more precise word that he knows like 'out' or 'off' or 'leave' or 'sit' or 'wait' etc etc etc - 'no' is a bit too ambiguous - he's not sure what I want him to do!
 :005:
Good luck!

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!