Author Topic: is this cocker rage?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline jayne roberts

• Site Member
is this cocker rage?
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »
Hi everyone
I only joined the forum today, but was wondering if anyone can help please. Belle is 18 months old and has just had a litter of puppies back in December,( very unplanned mating and a vet who said it was phantom). All the puppies have been rehomed, but Belles behaviour has become strange. She has started to chew the furniture - something she never did before, but worse than that she has started to snap and 'go' for people. She normally vents this behaviour at my husband or my son, but has also done it to me as well. There is never any warning and it is becoming more often.  >:D I am really concerned that she is going to hurt someone. She never behaved like this before. Oh she was spayed after having a C section - could there be a link?

Penel

Re: is this cocker rage?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:31:42 PM »
I would get her to a homeopathic vet - sounds like her hormones will be really really out of kilter - poor love being speyed at the same time as a C section (if that's what you mean )

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:33:33 PM »
I agree its more likely her hormones are all over the place  :'( poor soul

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 10:11:07 PM »
Speak to Linda, who's also a member here who may be able to throw some light on the situation:

http://www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/index.htm
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline no time for this

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
After doing quite a bit of research on "Rage" I am fairly certain (95%) that "rage" is in fact a form of epilepsy. Just as in humans an epileptic will suddenly have an attack, then so will dogs. Some humans are able to "predict" an attack and use bio feedback therapy to lessen the effects of the attack. Unfortunately dogs cant and this is why the rage attacks are very sudden and leave the dog quite confused afterwards.

I feel from the brief information provided that your dog may be depressed at losing her litter, after all she has an inate maternal instinct to care for her litter and has invested herself in their development and weening.

If the pups are local it may be beneficial to briefly reunite mum with one or two of them, as well as providing a surragate pup in the form of a soft toy for her to "mother".