Author Topic: Why did you choose a Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 4071 times)

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
Why did you choose a Cocker Spaniel?
« on: June 24, 2006, 05:18:22 AM »
Why did you choose a Cocker Spaniel? Curious!

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
Re: Why did you choose a Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 08:06:55 AM »
Just always loved the look of them and when my OH had to retire early we decided to take the plunge and we got Henry. They are the kind of breed imo that once owned you will only ever have any other. It's funny when i fuss mum and dads staff she feels like she's got no ears.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »
  :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

Offline Petra

• Site Member
  • yippee, water!!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 08:31:02 AM »
Mainly size and temperament as we had two young children to consider...
Also their appealing looks and wonderful personalities.

Petra

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
My OH already had a Cocker Spaniel when I met him, so I inherited Barney when me and my OH moved in together.  Barney died last year, aged 15, and we both knew that the only dog for us would be a Cocker.  My OH's family have always had them, and after Barney, I was smitten!  We just love their mad characters, the fact they're so happy all the time, their size and their adaptability - Milo goes everywhere with us and takes everything in his stride.
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 03:40:42 PM »
Size so that my daughter could walk him and he would fit in the smallish car, temperment as we have 2 cats and Becky has a friends round a lot, character as all the spaniels we met were lovely and finaly looks as I love the ears!

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 03:41:45 PM »
I have always wanted a cocker.  I have had labs in the past.  We did a lot of research before getting a dog & Cockers came up trumps all the time.  We have children, one who is 3, & we had to make sure that the dog would be the right temperment etc.  In my opinion Cockers are No. 1 and I wouldnt consider a different type of dog  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 03:46:38 PM »
The ears :luv:

My friend had a cocker when she was wee, a golden one, called Muffin, and I fell in love.
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline hamfam

• Site Member
  • Lucy Blue roan beauty
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 04:44:49 PM »
I've always been masochistic and i thought life was becoming too easy.

My wife said she had waited 40 yrs for a puppy, so i roll over when Lucy wakes up at 5.30am - don't want to make Helen wait any longer do I

If it's not wet and sloppy, it's not a real kiss

Offline Katina

• Site Member
    • Kennel Pretty Flower's
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 05:21:27 PM »
I didn't have a choice  :lol:. At first I just wanted a dog, wasn't all that sure on the breed (allthough I did want a hunting dog that I could also show a little). Then I went to see a litter of cockerpups and met my Ada. She bit my nose and well the rest is history  :luv: :luv:
There's only one, -but that one is a lion

Offline Bertie

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
As our first dog we didn't want anything too big! Cockers always seem very merry, happy and very pretty (the Ears!) little dogs! We will want to start a family at some point so temperament had to be one of the most important things!

I have always grown up with dogs - all large ones - my parents currently have two Newfoundlands. I have always wanted a dog of my own, but have never been in a position to have one until now (OH changed jobs which has enabled me to be at home to look after her).

We have had Sasha for a couple of weeks now and we love her to bits, must admit when you get used to a tiny little 10 week old Cocker running around and then visit my parents, its a hell of shock when you are confronted by two great big grizzly bears (daft as brushes though!).

I bought loads of books first to read up on them before we choose a Cocker Spaniel.

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »
Firstly, I saw someone with a solid black cocker spaniel and fell in love.
We then researched the breed on the internet and got several books out of the library. Cocker spaniels seemed to be ideal for our family - not too big but not too small, good temperament, good with children and supposedly easy to train as they are so willing to please! (Don't know if that bit as right!)
Then we chose working cockers with tails as we prefer shorter ears and 'the natural look'. (Please don't anyone take offence to that. It is just down to personal preference - not a question of right or wrong!  :D )

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 06:29:42 PM »
Tail or no tail they are still most beautiful dogs in the world.  :luv:

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 08:16:53 PM »
When I finally persuaded OH that a dog would not completely disrupt our lives  ph34r I was adamant it had to be a rescue.  We had always had rescue mongrels when I was growing up.  OH had only had cockers (4 in total - not all together) when he was growing up.  So the hunt was on for a rescue cocker.  I wanted a 3yr + boy.  We ended up with Daisy a 6 month old girl  :005:  and she's lovely - wouldnt have her any other way!!  That was 19 months ago.

Then 2 months ago we added Dill so I finally got my boy!! 

Until we got Daisy I knew nothing about spaniels couldnt tell one sort from another - and I have to be honest she was a bit of a culture shock  :lol:  didnt know how such a small thing could have so much energy - but we soon got used to each other and she is definitley the perfect choice - apart from Dill who was also the perfect choice.  ;)

I read somewhere that some people find the cockers permanent 'bon homie' rather off putting - I cant imagine how - its what makes them such fun  :lol:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 09:01:08 PM »
We thought long and hard about this as it was our first dog. We wanted a good temperament and medium size. For a while I wanted a westie as I think they look so perky, but in the end we diecided that it was to be a cocker. To be honest though I have always disliked long floppy ears so this was a real point of compromise for us.

Well, we found our litter, our Buddy came home and he's just the most gorgeous dog in the world (sorry, folks, it's true!), we think he's beautiful, I LOVE his ears, we adore his personality, not too keen on some of his ways but we'll train them out or learn to live with them! ;)

We often find ourselves congratulating each other on making the perfect choice of breed. We love the walks, we love watching him swim even if we don't really love the permanant wet house scanario, and the best thing in the world is a full-on cocker cuddle and greeting.

Next best is watching a pile of cockers playing together.

Actually that's a point.......could we come up with a really appropriate collective name for a group of cockers? May need another thread for that.

Oh, and forgot to add the other great thing about owning a cocker is being a member of COL :D ::)