Author Topic: chewing linoleum  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
chewing linoleum
« on: August 30, 2006, 04:25:48 PM »
Help!  Ok this may be a bit of a long one.  So, I'm a primary teacher who has been off for 7 weeks.  I have made a real effort to leave Barney alone for at least 2 hours every day so that he doesn't get used to a full time mummy. He is 10 months.  For the last 2 months he has been left during the day and at night with his crate door open and has NEVER chewed anything.  We have left little temptations for him but he has never been interested.  We were so pleased!  I went to work last week and he was a bit unwell, being sick a lot over the weekend and the first few days back at work, but still didn't chew anything (except grass outside and his meals).  He was a bit moochy but he had cut his foot so couldn't get long country walks as usual.  The vet gave us 3 different kinds of pills for his tummy and his cut.  Anyway, OH came back from work on Friday lunchtime to a complete pile of shredded lino.  He hadn't even peeled it up from the corner, just gnawed at it from the middle until he made a hole, then worked outwards!!!  He ahs never done anyhing like this before and now he is back in his crate with the door shut, which I hate now that he is bigger.  This week he is feeling much better and is back to his regular walking heaven, so he gets a good long beach walk before I go to work in the morning, a wee one at lunchtime and a super one in the evening. 
What I want to know is do you think he was chewing the lino because he was upset at being left, bored, or just because he was 'out of sorts'?  He does have lots of toys to keep him busy and has never done it before.  I need some reassurance that he is not going to develop the dreaded separation anxiety! :huh:

Offline Saffie

• Site Member
Re: chewing linoleum
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 04:35:49 PM »
He may just be bored! Have you tried hiding toys with treats in for him to discover while you are away? Leave a radio on for company and a few chews here and there. I got Saffie a ball with a few holes in that she has to push about to get them to drop out. I doubt very much that he is doing it because you have left him alone.

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 08:33:36 PM »
The treatball works great for us.  I put part of her Kibble in it if I leave her alone, or if she is having an annoying 1/2 hour.

She loves it, It keeps there mind stimulated.
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
We got Barney a treat thingy and he chewed it to pieces in 5 minutes!  His favourites things are kongs so I might just hide a few around the kitchen.  Hopefully it was just a one off!

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 04:48:37 PM »
Empty juice cartons are great - just put some treats/kibble in the hole at the top and close it again and hey presto - a cheap rattly toy which they can shake and then rip apart. Alfie absolutely loves them, they keep him busy for a few hours when I'm at work  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/