Author Topic: Buddy's dreaming!!!  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Buddy's dreaming!!!
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:59:06 AM »
This is really weird.

At about 4.30 this morning we were woken by Buddy howling, just once, but really loudly, just outside our bedroom door. He really sounded like a wolf.

I jumped out of bed and opened our door thinking he was unwell, only to find him fast asleep. He woke, came downstairs with me then settledback in his bed a few minutes later. He slept, we didn't!

Now today we have had about 5-6 episodes of him growling and barking in his sleep. He seems pretty much himself when awake.

Do you think this is significant?

OH just came home last night after a 10 day trip to Japan, and Ben's on his half term holiday. Other than that life is as normal here.

Probably just fussing, but I thought you guys would be the ones to ask about whether there is anything wrong with him.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Buddy's dreaming!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
When Max dreams he twitches all over, mouth, legs, paws....everything!!!

However, getting to the point - a while back he howled a couple of times during the night, OH & I shot out of bed (unheard of for OH  :005:) & he just flicked his tail at us as if to say "hello, what are you 2 doing here?". the same happened the following night - the only thing different is that he'd had some doggy chocolate drops (although they had been in the fridge for quite some time  ph34r).  A few weeks later he did it again, but on an earlier walk Max had smelt some chocolate being held by a man walking in the opposite direction through the woods so did a 90° turn & his nose was 1" away from the said chocolate - then the man gave him a bit  >:D

So, in these instances I've put it down to chocolate, he hasn't had any since & hasn't howled since.  So I really don't know if it was a coincidence but the little fella isn't getting any more chocolate.

Has Buddy ate something he shouldn't?
Sorry, I can't really be any help, I'm sure someone will be along with some words of wisdom  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »

:rofl1: Always, always, always!:rofl1:

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »
Meg quite often wakes herself up barking or yelping in her sleep.  With her it's if she's been on a particularly exciting walk i.e. seen lots of pheasants (which is her idea of heaven).

If she's not had a particularly active day she doesn't seem to dream much.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 01:54:41 PM »
Nance quite often barks and growls in her sleep whilst her letter paws twitch away and she has REM, I have always asumed that she is just in deep sleeps reliving the days/weeks walks!!!!!! :lol:

Milo twitches his paws too and whimpers, some nights he howls but its rare, he sleeps much more soundly than nance.

I think it just sounds like Buddy is dreaming nothing more than that ;) Especially with the change in environment and routine with Ben at home and your OH coming back, it could have "interupted" his routine maybe :-\ which could make his dreams more vivid I guess :-\

Let us know how he is later :-*

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 07:01:15 PM »
Molo very occasionally howls in his sleep - it frightens the beejeebees out of me

He is always growling/twitching/whining in his sleep - but his "Hound of the Baskervilles" impression is relatively rare, thank goodness, the first time he did it, I needed a drink to recover  :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »
George does that! It scared the livin daylights outa me wen I lived on my own and he did it in the middle of the nite :o Linus looks at me really funny when he does it. Harmy had quite a worried look once when George did it in the daytime :005:

Havin said that I dont think he's done it since I moved in with OH  :-\ :huh:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »

Jimmy's thrown his head back and howled in his sleep a couple of times - a really loud, mournful wail, like a cow mooing. 

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 08:21:22 PM »
After the last COL meet we went to, Clive was fast asleep ont eh chair next to me when he suddenly just lifted his head and howled twice - in the most mournful, skin crawling way, and then went back to sleep!

Freaked me and OH out for ages afterwards. Glad he's never done it in the night though...
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 08:30:52 PM »
Getting in practise for Halloween :005:
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »
Thanks. It was just what OH needed, after landing from Japan at 4pm after only a light sleep on the plane. He didn't get a wink after that and is just heading to bed now after falling asleep in the middle of a conversation with Ben!!

I was probably worrying unnecessarily, I was just concerned that the howl and the greatly increased dreaming stuff today all seemed a bit sudden, and it crossed my mind that there might be an organic cause.

I am now reassured though. Thanks.

Just hope he doesn't make a habit of it, I think my feet were on the floor before the howl was finished!

Offline hovis

• Site Member
    • www.kasordoncockers.com
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 09:19:10 PM »
...............Ooohhhhh yeah Hovis does that, not very often, but when he does it sounds like hes been possessed by something! :005: :005: Really weird scary sound and he doesnt seem to be aware of it...................I wonder if its ever a full moon when they do it? :005: :005:
Your dog is your friend, partner & defender. You are his life, love & leader. He will be yours, faithful & true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »
Buttons does it ALOT!!! usually when everyone else is in bed and I'm downstairs by myself, it's quite scary  :o

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2006, 10:50:49 PM »
I've never known dogs howl like cockers!!, they have the best howls ever - must be able to get their soft mouths into a lovely crooning shape :005:
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2006, 11:29:01 PM »

:rofl1: Always, always, always!:rofl1:

I reckon he'd had some cheese  :005: