Author Topic: itchy skin  (Read 1449 times)

Offline jo

• Site Member
itchy skin
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:49:41 PM »
Hi just back from the vets Jodi has had 2 injections, shampoo and antibiotics for ten days all down to itchy skin and dandruff the vet said that she thought it was a food allergy and  the only food she should be eating is a complete food, I give jodi  our left overs ie: potatoes, meat mixed with her dried food, would someone please give me advice as to which complete food would be the best for her. many thanks

Offline jools

• Site Member
Re: itchy skin
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:53:15 PM »
I have the same problem with Bramble. I didn't realise it was food related until recently, when I started spoiling her with wee foil tray food things and other goodies. Her skin became really dry and itchy. She got tablets and shampoo from the vet....and we're back onto Burns dry food, which has sorted her out.

With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline jo

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
I also gave Jodi trays of dog food I will try burns and see how that goes thanks

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:04:53 PM »
My Lab has had very dry skin from being a pup. Like you we had lotions and potions from the vet but nothing cleared it up. She's always been on complete food, and I've added oils that were for dry skins without any success. She had Burns and JWB which had no effect.

I've just switched to BARF. One of the reasons for doing this with Sapphi's skin, so I'm hoping things will improve soon.

It was suggested that I try Royal Canin as it has a high oil content, but as she's a greedy Lab who puts on the pounds easily I didn't try it, though my cocker pup was on it until I switched him to BARF with the other two.
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:37:16 PM »
I feed James wellbeloved, although Douglas and Oliver were both reactive with itch skin and dandruff on turkey and rice, so switched to duck and rice with very positive results.
Coat condition has noticeably improved in all my dogs since going on to Duck and rice.
Never hear many bad words about Burns.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »
I feed James wellbeloved, although Douglas and Oliver were both reactive with itch skin and dandruff on turkey and rice, so switched to duck and rice with very positive results.

Spike too was itchy on JWB turkey & rice but much better on the lamb & rice. :huh: ;)
Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline henry

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 03:33:02 PM »
Soots had itchy skin, and we did 3 things:
1, A couple of baths in medicated shampoo
2, He had recently changed from turkey JWB to duck, and was changed back to Turkey (something about different proteins?)
3, He was given a topical flee / mite treatment

He is not itching now, so could have been any one of the above?