Author Topic: Biting  (Read 1348 times)

Offline terryd

• Site Member
Biting
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
Well we have had a cocker for about 6 days now he is all ready toilet trained and things are going really well.
The problem we have got is when he is on the move he constantly chews ar bites every thing in site. You try and pat him he tries to nibble you arm. We are being firm and trying to cure him also giving him chews etc to distract him.
But I think he is driving the wife nuts :)

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
Re: Biting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »
Do a search on either this section or the puppy one - this is very common and perfectly natural, though can be very annoying!! Distraction is a good start...

Have you posted us piccies?
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:26:55 PM »
Go and buy yourself a fantastc book called The Perfect Puppy by Jan Bailey. It deals with this whole biting  / chewing stuff and lots, lots more.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline terryd

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:10:05 PM »
Do a search on either this section or the puppy one - this is very common and perfectly natural, though can be very annoying!! Distraction is a good start...

Have you posted us piccies?

Yep
http://freeimg.co.uk/gallery.php?album=Scout&page=1
:)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:13:35 PM »
Gorgeous pup - acting as pups do!  Ben was the devil dog and I really thought I'd done the wrong thing  >:D He is now 16 months and we haven't had puppy bites for ages  ;)  I think the painful bites stopped once his baby teeth fell out if that any consolation  :005:

Offline princess

• Site Member
  • elliott is my baby
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »
this will stop it is very normal for a pup,we remember it well,although it can hurt  :005:
paula & elliott

Offline lor

• Site Member
  • "Who me?.......With my reputation"
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:11:41 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I asked for advice as Amber was ripping us to shreds with her teeth!  She is now 15 weeks and has calmed down lots but still has her moments, especially first thing in the morning when the excitement of seeing someone after a good night's sleep sends her into a frenzy of toe biting!
We found that shutting her out of the living area for a few minutes (until she had stopped whining) helped as shouting "No" just became  pointless.  She soon realised that the bad behaviour meant being away from the family and being good meant she got to stay.
Also now she responds well to "Leave it" - which could be anything from stealing shoes, biting or generally trying to chew anything she shouldn't - when she "leaves it" she gets a treat and food motivates her 99% of the time!
Good luck, it will pass eventually.

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 08:20:09 PM »
The biting does stop eventually - be thankful that there is cold weather because you can wear jumpers & long trousers which hides all the little puncture wounds  :005: :005: :005:

Just kidding- honestly it does stop.  Time out is great.  Cockers are massively nosey & more importantly they just want to be with you, taking that away is the biggest punishment of all.  Dont do too long for time out though.

By the way pup is absolutely gorgeous  :luv: