Author Topic: Behaviour  (Read 1086 times)

Offline eagle1612

• Site Member
Behaviour
« on: November 05, 2006, 03:37:33 PM »
Have a four year old cocker.  Been house trained as a pup and been great up until recently (last 3 months), now has taken to acting like a pup again in terms of house training, I have a strong feeling its behavioural or attention seeking.

Can anyone shed some light?
 :D

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Re: Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 03:43:18 PM »
Has there been any major changes in the last 3 months that could have upset him in anyway?  Have you moved house for instance or has some routine changed?

If there is nothing specific you can think of it maybe worth having him/her checked over at a vet incase there is some medical reason for this change of behavior.  I would have thought this unusual at 4 years of age :-\
Mary & Lottie x

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 03:46:51 PM »
Yep, I agree with Mary.

New baby, pet or routine.  Perhaps have you changed his diet - or if not you could consider it.

Offline eagle1612

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 05:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies!

We moved house in June, but behaviour has changed in last month, granted have changed his diet, but that’s because he had been gaining weight – could be the cause.

If it is – how can it be combated – simply changing diet again or something else??

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:42:01 PM »
Have you ruled out any medical cause?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »
Could also be the onset of the firework season... I have never come across a dog yet that used house training as an attention seeking thing. In a fully house trained dog it is normally a stress response to changes in their environment or a health issue.

Basically, just go back to basics. Praise outside, ignore indoors.

What sort of diet change did you do? What brands of food were you/are you using?

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »
Sam will have accidents in the house when he is upset by something.....when we had the gas central heating installed he went to kennels overnight but as they finished late on the second day I had to bring him back while they were still in the house.

He was really upset because there were these 3 strange men in the house and he had 2 accidents that evening after they had gone. He soon got back on track though as I just went out with him like when I was housetraining him and gave him treats and praise for weeing outside. 
Love Kate and Sam xxx