Author Topic: Do I accept behaviour others would not?  (Read 7207 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Do I accept behaviour others would not?
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2007, 07:06:12 PM »
I'm confused to be honest!!!!!

I was always advised to take things away from the dogs and give them back......

It was certainly the advise given by many behaviourists and trainers a few years ago (along with dominance rolls and check chains in my case  ::)) - I think that as we have begun to gain a better understanding of the motive behind the behaviour we observe in dogs, then it has become necessary to revise traditional training techniques  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »

It was certainly the advise given by many behaviourists and trainers a few years ago (along with dominance rolls and check chains in my case  ::)) - I think that as we have begun to gain a better understanding of the motive behind the behaviour we observe in dogs, then it has become necessary to revise traditional training techniques  ;)

I came accross a US forum the other day. You would not believe the crap that was being spouted on there!!! They 100% agreed in showing the dog who was boss and the methods used left a lot to be desired. One pup was sent back to the breeder at 10  weeks old because it was being too dominant and didnt understand that the owner was the Alpha. The breeder was gonna keep it for a few weeks teach it that it needs to be "submissive" and then give it back  :o The thread was entitled "bad puppy" or something similar  ::) .

Penel

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »
Jan - STEP AWAY FROM THE US FORUMS :lol:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2007, 08:09:33 PM »

I came accross a US forum the other day. You would not believe the crap that was being spouted on there!!! They 100% agreed in showing the dog who was boss and the methods used left a lot to be desired. One pup was sent back to the breeder at 10  weeks old because it was being too dominant and didnt understand that the owner was the Alpha. The breeder was gonna keep it for a few weeks teach it that it needs to be "submissive" and then give it back  :o The thread was entitled "bad puppy" or something similar  ::) .

I think I know the one you mean - he has a TV show over there too  ::)

We have them over here in the UK, too - one very well-known trainer who promotes these methods was doing interviews on Sky News immediately after the recent attack  ::)
Oldies Club

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »

I know that now!! Honestly I was amased at what they typed  :o :o

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
I think I know the one you mean - he has a TV show over there too  ::)

We have them over here in the UK, too - one very well-known trainer who promotes these methods was doing interviews on Sky News immediately after the recent attack  ::)

Can't remember who it was now, I quickly left the site as it was making me angry  :005:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2007, 08:17:44 PM »

hmmmm well  the traditional method worked for me!! ::) :lol: :lol: but hey ho, every dog is different ;) ;)

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »

hmmmm well  the traditional method worked for me!! ::) :lol: :lol: but hey ho, every dog is different ;) ;)

Harmy and I had to do this as part of the KCGC bronze award less than 18 months ago

I dont take everything back that I give them. None of my dogs are guardy with their food or treats so it worked for us too

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »
Harmy and I had to do this as part of the KCGC bronze award less than 18 months ago

With food?  :o Our classes have always used toys........ :-\
Oldies Club

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »

Same here.  Lottie never had a guarding issue so for me to remove something from her when she was a puppy wasn't a problem for her.  She never saw it that she needed to guard it because mean old Mummy took it, because it was given back to her immediately.  Just a wag of the tail and a look that said 'Hey thanks :D'.

if I needed to remove say a Kentucky fried carcass from their gobs I could do, forcibly, without them biting me - because I know that they aren't threatened by me fiddling with their mouths....

Same here but how do we get over the forcibly problem?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline supaspaniel

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »

With food?  :o Our classes have always used toys........ :-\
oh well yeah ok  ::) similar principle tho

sorry had my head half in college stuff so wasn't thinking straight there ph34r physics ph34r

note to myself...stop allowing college assignments to interfere with COL time :005: :005:

Zen Dog...he knows not where he is going, for the ocean will decide. Its not the destination....its the glory of the ride.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »

Same here.  Lottie never had a guarding issue so for me to remove something from her when she was a puppy wasn't a problem for her.  She never saw it that she needed to guard it because mean old Mummy took it, because it was given back to her immediately.  Just a wag of the tail and a look that said 'Hey thanks :D'.

if I needed to remove say a Kentucky fried carcass from their gobs I could do, forcibly, without them biting me - because I know that they aren't threatened by me fiddling with their mouths....

Same here but how do we get over the forcibly problem?

Me too but haven't got over the forcibly problem either --- or having to smell like KFC for the rest for the walk ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2007, 10:30:10 PM »

Hey, wait a minute!! We all don't buy that garbage!  >:( :lol:   There is just as much disagreement here about training methods I think part of the problem is that we are kind of standing in the middle of the old harsh methods, the newer Alpha Wolf stuff, and the new, "Culture Clash" and it's causing a lot of confusion, especially for new dog owners.

I've had grumblers, I pay them no mind. I think it's like kids who mumble something under their breath at you. It's when they follow it through that the method has to change.

I don't do the "take it away give it back" I can get things away from my dogs that they aren't supposed to have (I just calmly tell them "not for puppies") and give them one of their toys--or rather throw it, they love to fetch.

I'd be absolutely psychotic if someone kept taking stuff away from me, even if only for a second! >:D (Ever had a waiter try to take your plate when you're not finished? Get a little defensive, don't we? :005:) Or snatch a book out of my hands while I'm reading? Yes, I'd bite you! :lol:

It's very hard to make generalisations though, without knowing the dog and seeing it in action, so when all is said and done, I think you just do what works best for your own dogs, and follow your instincts.
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2007, 10:21:13 AM »
I've got no problem with grumbling/growling, but I do address the issues to stop it (I don't stop the growling as this is - as you say correctly - a warning, but I deal with the underlying cause). I do not accept snapping/biting unless there is a very good reason for it, e.g. hurting them by accident. I certainly expect everyone else to take notice of our dogs' warnings and back off... although this happens extremely rarely.

We get grumbles extremely rarely... I think Dylan growled at me once, Troy never and Flash used to when we first had him around food... but hasn't done so for at least a year either.

I never take our dogs' bones/treats away and they know it. Flash used to be very food guardy when we got him, even normal food. He learnt fairly quickly thought that I didn't allow the other dogs to take anything away from him and I didn't either... quite the opposite, I used to add nice additional stuff to his food bowl, so he soon loved me coming near it... Now dogs and us can walk past Flash when he has chews without any problems. Although we have to supervise them when they have bones/chews (as they would otherwise pinch stuff off of each other), they can all have a chew/bone together pretty relaxed.

I can however if necessary take a bone/chew away without problems, but I very rarely do this and they know it.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk