Author Topic: Do I accept behaviour others would not?  (Read 7358 times)

Penel

Re: Do I accept behaviour others would not?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »
Just chuck em in her direction when she's chewing a bone.... then she'll think "ohhh she's not taking my bone away, she's giving me more stuff, I don't have to worry about her stealing the most important thing I have in the whole world"

'course - put her in the post tomorrow  :005:

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
'course - put her in the post tomorrow  :005:

Too late KB ! DHL picked up Billy half an hour ago, he's in transit to Penel  :lol:

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2007, 05:36:05 PM »
 :005:

They are funny animals aren't they, I had trained Indie too from a pup about food and I or anyone else can take her dinner from her, feed it to her or eat it themselves if they wanted :lol:  and she won't do anything :luv:  I will be hung drawn and quartered fro saying this but its actually my 11 yr olds job to feed Indie of a morning and my 7 yrs old job to feed Indie of an evening :D  Never had a problem and never anticipate one!  But with bones Miss Indie is a bit selfish, I could take them off her without her snapping, but I don't, I just think its unfair to interupt her enjoyment, she doesn't get bones that often ;)

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
Penel - she'll think all her birthdays have come at once :lol:

I hate to think what my dad would say to that - still what he doesn't know won't hurt him :shades: :005:

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2007, 05:41:51 PM »
:005:

I could take them off her without her snapping, but I don't, I just think its unfair to interupt her enjoyment, she doesn't get bones that often ;)

Same here, but there is no guarding or growling and I'll just walk by as you do Emma and ask her if she's enjoying it ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2007, 05:48:33 PM »

Same here, but there is no guarding or growling and I'll just walk by as you do Emma and ask her if she's enjoying it ;)

:luv:

When I ask Indie, its funny as she starts eating it even faster, just in case I decide to take it from her, which of course I never do but she still has that instinct to try and ram it all in her mouth "just in case"  Bit like a cheeky toddler, whos picked up a dropped rusk off the floor, have you noticed how when you go to take it they would suck furiousley on it :lol:

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
Come in late on this thread, but I have to strongly agree with Penel - why take a bone, or any 'high value' treat away from your dog, you are just reinforcing her reasons for guading it.
Surely it is much easier to remove the cause of the problem, than dealing with the after effects! Just don't give them to her, simple, then you are removing the problem and the unwanted behaviour!  It is after all you who gave her the bone in the first place!! :D

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »
Oh I couldn't not give her a bone :shades: she loves them :lol:.

It's not that much of a problem really - I usually hide one for her somewhere when I am leaving her alone.

For some reason though - even though she hides it, she soemtimes doesn't eat it until we come back :huh: :-\

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2007, 06:15:41 PM »
Come in late on this thread, but I have to strongly agree with Penel - why take a bone, or any 'high value' treat away from your dog, you are just reinforcing her reasons for guading it.
Surely it is much easier to remove the cause of the problem, than dealing with the after effects! Just don't give them to her, simple, then you are removing the problem and the unwanted behaviour!  It is after all you who gave her the bone in the first place!! :D

Nobody is saying they are taking it.  Just saying they could if they wanted and it's reassuring to know that you can.
Mary & Lottie x

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2007, 06:19:08 PM »
Much as I hate to agree with Penel :shades: :005: :005: ;) - I think I will try what she suggests - I can see the sense behind it.

In Jean Donaldon's book mine - this technique is recommended for food guarding - but the taking away/swapping is recommended for object guarding

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2007, 06:30:39 PM »
I'm confused to be honest!!!!!

I was always advised to take things away from the dogs and give them back......neither of these two guard anything...................honestly, and neither of them growl when you walk past them if they've got a bone, like I said before these two think me taking things away is a game, but honestly I dont want to be messing with their heads!!!!! :005: Is it just that it doesnt bother them and it would some dogs :-\ :-\

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »
In Jean Donaldon's book mine - this technique is recommended for food guarding - but the taking away/swapping is recommended for object guarding

I swap for items such as remote control, t towel etc but never food

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »
Is it just that it doesnt bother them and it would some dogs :-\ :-\

Maybe  :-\ I don't think anyone can say 100% certain. Everyone will have their own experiences & beliefs. We had a JRT who never ever guarded a single thing but he was never taught it, it was just the way he was.

Penel

« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2007, 06:53:01 PM »
Mine all "drop" when requested, even bones - because they have been trained to, and if I needed to remove say a Kentucky fried carcass from their gobs I could do, forcibly, without them biting me - because I know that they aren't threatened by me fiddling with their mouths.... however, when we first got Barley, and Gracie, I would never have been able to - because they were very very "guardy" about their food, understandably.
So I taught them it was ok to eat bones around me, because I wasn't going to take stuff away from them, in fact, I was going to GIVE them stuff when I went near them.  Soon, Barley started to wag his tail when I went near him, as opposed to the initial growling when we first got him...
Some dogs guard, some don't - naturally.  Honey, as I understand it,  has always guarded from a youngster, and it only takes a few wrong moves to make them guard more.  She is very clearly saying by growling and wagging her tail at the same time "look , I do like you, but please leave my bone alone, it's MY bone, and I want to keep it, and I'm sorry to growl at you"...

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2007, 06:59:04 PM »
I agree it is definitely a personality thing. My Vizsla, would guard bones, the sofa, and cuddles with his mum  :005: when younger.He was not given bones ( not even now - give him the squits)
not allowed on the sofa, and only allowed to cuddle mummy when it was just the two of us. Now he is mature his understanding of all things lovely has changed, and is fine in all areas, as we simply removed the cause, not enforced it! My little cocker Lillie has none of these traits what so ever, and has a much more laid back personality, just like us they are all different, and we love them all the more for it :luv: