Author Topic: is this the end for my boy?  (Read 9427 times)

Offline vanessa

• Site Member
Re: is this the end for my boy?
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 08:56:43 AM »
Patti
its really sad about your Bailey, you are doing your best, that comes across strongly. . yet the kids come first.
I sympathise and hope you find a solution soon, I had a Jack Russell years ago who began biting me, my brother has a large scar on his hand still from when he stepped between me and the dog. He was born to my parents ever so friendly bitch and our neighbours JR who was alovely old fellow.My brother to this day is scared of dogs even as an adult which is such a shame . Point I'm making is that some dogs are just crochety/crabby/however you want to describe it. Its such a shame the children can't enjoy their dog.
Whatever you do. .and it is your families decision; I wish you the very best with.
Vanessa x

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 09:46:27 AM »
My dog charlie has gotten to be very nervous maybe thats an understatement.  he associates going to the vets with something bad going to happen.  He is correct up to a point as 1 1/2 he was in at the vets for a week with pancreatitis then 6 months later paraylsed and at the vets for 4 days then the Glasgow vet school for a week for spinal surgery.  to cut a long story short I learnt a type of massage techniquue called TTOUCH.  the last time he went to the vets he was sitting between my knees and trembling very badly.  I started to do TTOUCH on the parts of him I could reach without moving him from between my knees.  all aroung his neck and down his front legs.  In 5 minutes the trembling had stopped and when our turn came he trotted quite happily into the vets.  Even allowed her to examine his back legs without going 'rubber dog' when he doesnt like other people except myself and O/H massaging or even touching his legs.  You might want to look at this it is on this website   http://www.lindatellington-jones.com/whyTTouch.shtml 
and the site tells you how to do this.  It really does work Charlie gets a short session once per day to stop his legs from stiffening up and going into muscle spapsm spasm, or he would end up going to steroid and relaxants again like he did on Xmas eve so I am trying to avoid this.  . 

Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline vanessa

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »
so glad that technique works for Charlie. Its weird. . . . was looking at that site just before I read your message !!

Offline catcmartin

• Site Member
  • Hamish
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 10:11:30 AM »
I have found this very helpfull on any number of accassions.  Charlie lost his confidence during his recovery and we were making things worse by petting him etc thinking we were helping.  Found out different and I have found that a session of TTOUCH as well as helping his legs also calms him down and makes him more confidentand able to face the world like he used to be able to do.  .     
Cathy
Belle my Angel 22-09-09
Charlie my Angel 11-12-2014
Hamish latest addition

Offline PennyB

« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 10:51:12 AM »
My dog charlie has gotten to be very nervous maybe thats an understatement.  he associates going to the vets with something bad going to happen.  He is correct up to a point as 1 1/2 he was in at the vets for a week with pancreatitis then 6 months later paraylsed and at the vets for 4 days then the Glasgow vet school for a week for spinal surgery.  to cut a long story short I learnt a type of massage techniquue called TTOUCH.  the last time he went to the vets he was sitting between my knees and trembling very badly.  I started to do TTOUCH on the parts of him I could reach without moving him from between my knees.  all aroung his neck and down his front legs.  In 5 minutes the trembling had stopped and when our turn came he trotted quite happily into the vets.  Even allowed her to examine his back legs without going 'rubber dog' when he doesnt like other people except myself and O/H massaging or even touching his legs.  You might want to look at this it is on this website   http://www.lindatellington-jones.com/whyTTouch.shtml 
and the site tells you how to do this.  It really does work Charlie gets a short session once per day to stop his legs from stiffening up and going into muscle spapsm spasm, or he would end up going to steroid and relaxants again like he did on Xmas eve so I am trying to avoid this.  . 

Even better is going on one of their workshops so they can show you exactly how much pressure to use and other techniques etc. or have a 1-2-1 with a practitioner as they may be better to identify what touches to use (especially in the case of Bailey).

http://www.ttouchtteam.co.uk
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline patti

• Site Member
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
Wow!  -  had never heard of this at all.  Will definitely look in to this, thanks.

Vanessa, thank you for your kind words.

We haven't had any major incidents with Bailey since he bit me last week.  He appears to be enjoying clicker training and the next few days will be a bit of a test of our progress as we are going camping again and he is coming with us. 

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2007, 02:45:35 PM »
He appears to be enjoying clicker training and the next few days will be a bit of a test of our progress as we are going camping again and he is coming with us. 

Good Luck Patti - I hope you have a fab time. You sound like you are doing a fantastic job - I really admire you for sticking with him, where others probably wouldnt have  :luv:
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."