Author Topic: excited barking help  (Read 1142 times)

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
  • My wonderful Family oh and me
excited barking help
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:47:57 PM »
Help I thought I had got it sorted but yet again this morning >:D >:D whilst My husband is away working
the dogs sleep upstairs with me when it is time to get up all hell is let loose as soon as my feet touch the floor of they go barking running around as though we have won the lottery I tell them to sit wait and they stop then open the door and off we go again down the stairs to the next door and so on to the garden >:(I have tried all things getting back into bed making them wait till I get downstairs first sometimes they work I would like to feel that I am in control
Hi from ANN,Bailey, Minstrel and Merlin the cat.
My animals are the light through dark days
Update.... Bailey died yesterday age 14 .. Minstrel 8yrs ago age 17
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: excited barking help
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:56:07 PM »
Do you have a different routine for them when your OH is away? You say they sleep upstairs with you; do they sleep elsewhere when your OH is there?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline amandaC

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:33:18 AM »
Daisy is an excited barker and I am afraid all I can use is distraction, either chews, kongs or teach them find it. So I say "where is your ball daisy, find it!" And she runs off to look for it and gives my five minutes peace!! Or you could do the teaching them to speak command and then the ssshhhh command. Never managed it myself but it's in the books as a way of controlling excitable barking.

Good luck
Amanda, Amber, Tallulah and Rubydoo x

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
Do you have a different routine for them when your OH is away? You say they sleep upstairs with you; do they sleep elsewhere when your OH is there?
Yes they do they both sleep downstairs when the boss is home, but they do the same
performance when we are of for walks :huh: :huh:
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17
I have now Ellaween age 7 and Willow age 2 both working type cockers Ella black and Tan and Willow choc n Tan.

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:18:36 PM »
Daisy is an excited barker and I am afraid all I can use is distraction, either chews, kongs or teach them find it. So I say "where is your ball daisy, find it!" And she runs off to look for it and gives my five minutes peace!! Or you could do the teaching them to speak command and then the ssshhhh command. Never managed it myself but it's in the books as a way of controlling excitable barking.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise I have tried the speak thing as Bailey likes to sing and he does speak
when told and I have tried to change routines Bailey loves to sing along with my clanger collection
do you remember the clangers who lived on the moon.. :005: :005:
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:15:04 PM »
Yes they do they both sleep downstairs when the boss is home, but they do the same
performance when we are of for walks :huh: :huh:

If they take the p**s when you give them some leaway and let them sleep upstairs, then you could try keeping their routine the same regardless of whether or not your OH is at home  ;)

As for baring when getting ready for walks - then the best solution I found is to only put leads on and leave the house when dogs are sitting quietly; this might mean it takes an hour to get of the house to begin with - as you walk away if they bark and get excited, but they will soon catch on, and realise they have to remain controlled in order to get what they want  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline LouiseAS

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:30:02 PM »
As for baring when getting ready for walks - then the best solution I found is to only put leads on and leave the house when dogs are sitting quietly; this might mean it takes an hour to get of the house to begin with - as you walk away if they bark and get excited, but they will soon catch on, and realise they have to remain controlled in order to get what they want  ;)

That is really good advice cadbury as I'm going through this at the moment.  Takes us 45mins to get out of the door at the mo  :005:  I can see improvement though and it's only when the 2 are together so no point in exercising seperately.
Louise & my beautiful girl Meg xx

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:04:35 PM »
Yes I know this is a good way to deal with the problem and thanks so much everyone for the advice
I have tried this with both of them and I know what you mean it takes foever but I think it doesent help the situation when Ive been ill and the boys take them out or they dont get out we have to start again
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 02:30:55 PM »
Unless you and your family are consistent you will never solve this.
get all your family involved and all sing from the same hymn sheet.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cadbury

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 02:44:53 PM »
Unless you and your family are consistent you will never solve this.
get all your family involved and all sing from the same hymn sheet.
Mark
Thanks we are most of the time and we are going to try our very best to keep to it from now on ;)
 As Bailey is doing very well and not pulling on his lead after hours of standing still and going nowhere its sunk in so
fingers cross the same will happen with the barking thanks
Merlin 10 yrs ago age 17

Offline Susie B

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 10:59:13 PM »
 Thanks we are most of the time and we are going to try our very best to keep to it from now on ;)
 As Bailey is doing very well and not pulling on his lead after hours of standing still and going nowhere its sunk in so
fingers cross the same will happen with the barking thanks
[/quote]
Hello there, and thank you for the welcome you left on my posting.  Its really good to know that the standing still response to lead pulling works...although our Sally is only 12wks old she has a very strong pull so I will certainly be persisting with that one.   I hope you get the barking problem sorted.  Best wishes.
Sue