Author Topic: fluke bite  (Read 799 times)

Offline odo

• Site Member
  • fluke at 12weeks
fluke bite
« on: October 10, 2007, 11:00:18 PM »
Hi my 3 1/2 month old cocker x springer fluke keeps nipping, I have tried yelping it stops him for a second then he will start again, I give him his toys to chew the only thing that stops him is if I tell him to go outside, but he nips my 4year old son who runs or turns away which makes fluke do it more!!! any ideas ? I know he is teething but I like my skin! and I would like to stop it now before he grows up and bites!
Janet
Janet & Fluke the Sprocker

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: fluke bite
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 11:03:16 PM »
Have a look on the Puppy board and do a search under 'biting/nipping'. This is completely normal behaviour and does NOT mean he will grow up to be a dog which bites  ;)  There are loads of threads on this subject on that board with good advice on how to react to it. It does take time and consistency but they all stop eventually. Teaching your son to stand still or 'freeze' when Fluke is like this will help.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline odo

• Site Member
  • fluke at 12weeks
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 11:08:02 PM »
thanx Nicola I will look on the puppy board now, I did tell my son to stand still, I think I will make it a game with him and tell him to play statues when fluke nips him and jumps up thanx for putting idea in my head
Janet
Janet & Fluke the Sprocker

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »
thanx Nicola I will look on the puppy board now, I did tell my son to stand still, I think I will make it a game with him and tell him to play statues when fluke nips him and jumps up thanx for putting idea in my head
Janet

That's a great idea, it should really help  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 11:47:59 PM »
Hi Janet... I've got a son that's just turned 5 and a 5 month old pup that's STILL biting him!!!!!!

It's very tricky with kids of that age, my son does stand still but you can't tell a 4 yr old to stay that way when they have fangs in their legs. It just takes one squeak or twitch from the kid and the pup's got a reaction and that's all he needs to carry on. Sometimes it works and is the best thing for the kid to do before you get to them to intervine but it's not a full solution at that age. I had a free home visit from the lady that ran our puppy classes and she said that for the most part, it's best to keep young kids and puppies separate until the pups grow out of biting and only let them play together when you can fully supervise. She also suggested putting a long lead on the pup and when he gets nippy calmly pull him away and remove him and put them in a 'time out' space. So basically nipping = no play. Having tried other things, I have to say I think it's the best solution and leads to less friction and confrontation. Slowly our pup is able to stay in the same space as my son for longer periods but he still needs removing frequently. I have a baby gate across the kitchen and that's where I put the pup when he's biting, he can still see everyone but can't play.

Leaving them together all the time was just a game for the puppy - no amount of 'ah ah' and standing still worked for that long but he's learning that if he wants to be 'with' us and not in the kitchen, he must not bite and my son is suffering a lot less too!

Good luck it will take a while longer yet, but will be worth it in the end

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x