Author Topic: Jumping up!  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Clare bear

• Site Member
Jumping up!
« on: October 19, 2007, 02:40:07 PM »
This is one of Twix's worst habbit's and it drives me mad, everytime i go to put on her lead she is jumping miles high in the air i've tried telling her to sit before i put the lead on her but as soon as i go to put it on she's off again, plus also everytime she see's anyone she know's she jumps up at them, i will tell her to sit before anyone goes to stroke her but she just goes totally nuts.

Any advice would be great as im getting tired of her flying in the air as i know it's not good for there hips!

Offline Skygazer

• Site Member
  • No empty yoghurt pot must go unlicked
Re: Jumping up!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 03:09:24 PM »
Hello!

Here is quite an informative video from a very helpful site:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-stop-your-dog-jumping-up

Good luck, my doggie does the same thing!

Slave to Sam

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:44:19 PM »
Our dog trainer has really helped with Charlie, who was always jumping up.  ::) You need two people for this - one person to have the dog on the lead, the other person to greet the dog. You have the dog on a loose lead and say nothing at all. The other person comes up, with the intention of saying hello and giving a treat. If the dog starts to jump up, the person calmly steps away. You keep doing this and only reward the dog when he doesn't jump up when greeted (you could click and treat). Then you invite loads of people round and get all of them to help out with that.  ;) The dog will quickly work out that there's only attention and reward when s/he doesn't jump up. I like that approach, because it focuses on the positive, there's no shouting, janking etc. And it works. :blink: It's important, obviously, to be consistent, so he doesn't get rewarded (even with attention) for jumping up one time, and not another. :D

Silke

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 05:58:42 PM »
Got this problem too. Thing is we meet so many people thats it difficult to explain to every one of them what to do to stop Lily jumping up so she never learns. She knows with me to not jump up when i tell her but if shes so happy and excited to see other people its impossible to stop! She just loves hoomans! I dont mind it anyway really unless she's dirty and wet (which is quite often)  ph34r

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline tracyd

• Site Member
  • my lion
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »
bailey does this from sheer excitement when having his lead put on and is very irritating (especially for my 8 month bump)  But he never jumps up at people outside the house when we go out (lucky seeing as he attracts so much mud) so i cant get mad at him for long!

Offline Terri Carpenter

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:42:40 PM »
Mine do this too.

They don't jump at me anymore as they know that this does not get them any attention and when I come home I ignore them until they have calmed down. I ask people when they come in to ignore them but it is amazing the amount of people who say ok and as soon as they get thro the door and the dogs are jumping up they make a fuss of them :huh:

Offline Clare bear

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:41:44 AM »
Thank you all  :D , im going to be trying a few things i will let you know how we get on with them.
[/color]

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Hello!

Here is quite an informative video from a very helpful site:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-stop-your-dog-jumping-up

Good luck, my doggie does the same thing!

Good one, thank you! :)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 04:33:44 PM »
I stand on the lead when people approach us that he wants to 'greet', leaving it quite short (long enough for him to move around freely but short enough so he can't jump up) and when he sits nicely and calmly he is rewarded by cuddles from the visitor and/or a treat. There is no yanking or stress from either of us.  It works great in tandem with clicker training.

Bonus is he doesn't hurt his neck straining to get at people, and my potential physio bills are reduced!

at home lead free, well it's up to the guest - they usually get 'jarvised' as they ignore your 'ignore him' advice  ::)
helen & jarvis x