Author Topic: Something has got to change or they are going!!!!!  (Read 17662 times)

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
Re: Something has got to change or they are going!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
hi gemma, your post today sounds really positive :D you'll prob find with the luchtime outing you won't be coming home to so much mess in the nights too. glad your on your way to enjoying the dogs again, you obviously love them very much, they're prob pleased to have ytou back too :005: :luv:

Offline emms

• Site Member
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
Im so glad things are improving for you  :D

Offline CJ

• Site Member
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
So pleased to hear things are improving Gemma.  I've been thinking about you and hoping you were doing OK.   Well done you for getting up so early!  Good idea about the dog walker too, it will take the pressure off a little.  I'm lucky in that two nights a week I do walk with friends and their dogs - not that I wouldn't go out anyway, but there is more incentive to walk further!

I do hope things continue to improve for you all.       

Offline kb

• Site Member
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
I suffer from depression and anxiety, which has been quite bad the last few minths, which is why I haven't been  on here much.

No advice - but just thinking that if you are down, getting out for a little exercise will certainly be of benefit to you, never mind the dogs.

If you have the stamina - exercise is great for depression and taking back the control, which is what you are doing, is even better ;)

Offline djangonut

• Limited Member
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
What a great support COL is!  I've been worried about Gemma all week and so it's great that a corner appears to have been turned, because of everyone's excellent advice.

Part of the deal of having dogs is that it is not all plain sailing, especially at the beginnings and ends of dogs'  lives.  The dogs enhance our lives most of the time,  but sometimes we need time to ourselves, and that is the time to put them in a cage or playpen,  or even stick them in the car with the garage door down so that the neighbours can't hear them!   (Most cockers love cars.)

My OH was new to dogs when I descended on her with my gang 13 years ago.  She is still not resigned to the fact that settees have plucks in the material,  that the new £2000 carpet will inevitably get stained,  (not just with my red wine!), and that doors and door jambs will have scratch marks.

But OH has taught me that my laissez-faire ways with the dogs are not always the best.  She has shown me that dogs are happiest with routine. Dogs like to get up, get fed,  and go to bed at the same time each day for instance.  They need their walk when they are used to it,  and not when I think that the weather will improve so we'll wait for the sunshine in the afternoon! And they get groomed on the table,  and not when I just feel like pulling a comb through them as I watch telly, and they're on the floor.  This always leads to a bit of a wrestling match.  There is a time and a place for everything for happy dogs.

And dog routine can give space for people time - away from the smelly, noisy, little monsters.

John

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
There are some dogs who no matter what you do, they will not stop treating the house like a canine loo >:D

Mrs Bridges is a case in point.  She does not ask to go out, she just goes where she stands (generally in the middle of the lounge carpet) and no matter how often we put her outside she still does it.  She does it during the day, she does it at night, she does it after a walk, she does it after she's been in the garden, she just does it all the time.  Our house stinks as a result.

I am utterly fed up and resigned to it but OH is about to leave (and I actually mean that).

So, please don't tell me that dogs can be trained to stop it - some can't.
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline fenn2006

• Site Member
  • Best girl Fenn
    • www.photobucket.com
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
Hi Nicky - you have probably already thought of this by could she possible have cystitis?  I know this can seem as though they are just being lazy but she may not be able to help it....just a thought.

xxx
Cockers are little people with minds of their own... x0x

Offline Jeeves

• Site Member
  • Mrs Bridges - International Love Goddess!
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
Hi Nicky - you have probably already thought of this by could she possible have cystitis?  I know this can seem as though they are just being lazy but she may not be able to help it....just a thought.

xxx

Yes, that did occur to me, and the vet gave her a clean bill of health.  Its not just wee, it's poo too.  Don't get me wrong, I love her to bits (although OH seriously dislikes her at the mo ph34r) but I really am at the end of my tether.

Just seen you're in Weeley - what a small world!!  I grew up in Kirby le Soken!! :D
Parker, Mrs Bridges, Ronald and Jeeves (my Little Bear, no longer with us) and Nicky (that's me!)

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »
I dont know what I would do without COL you are all angels  :angel:

Just to let you all know that things are still going well and im sticking to my new routine and it's great for us all, my babies are very, very happy.

Would like to think of some games for home to keep there mind active though  :D
Gemma,gorgeous Floyd and cutey Charlie xxxxxxx
www.myspaniel.co.uk
'without a doggy in my world, life would be boring'

Offline pinkcarys

• Site Member
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »
Hi Gemma,

Glad things are looking up. One of the games Griffin likes involves hiding biscuits in one hand or the other and he has to guess (sniff!) which one has the biscuit and put his paw on it. I taught him "paw" first and he caught on that he had to paw the biscuited hand really quickly.
"My aim in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am"

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2008, 05:27:06 PM »
Hi Gemma it's great to hear things are getting better for you. Ideas for indoor games, hide the treat I get lots of plant pots turn them upside down and put treats under a few I put them all over so he has to find them then tip them over to get the treat from under. I also use them the other way with toys inside that he has to find and bring to get a treat.  I also teach him simple tricks, this seems to really wear him out so we get a bit of peace.
If you don't mind a bit of mess loo rolls or plastic bottles with treats in can keep him quiet for a while.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
There are some dogs who no matter what you do, they will not stop treating the house like a canine loo >:D

Mrs Bridges is a case in point.  She does not ask to go out, she just goes where she stands (generally in the middle of the lounge carpet) and no matter how often we put her outside she still does it.  She does it during the day, she does it at night, she does it after a walk, she does it after she's been in the garden, she just does it all the time.  Our house stinks as a result.

I am utterly fed up and resigned to it but OH is about to leave (and I actually mean that).

So, please don't tell me that dogs can be trained to stop it - some can't.

She is a very special case though - rescuing a puppy-farmed breeding bitch does come with additional considerations, and I am sure your OH will feel better when the weather is drier and brighter  :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline *sammy*

• Site Member
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
i felt for you at 5.30 this mornign as i was doing the same. have two days work  and new sam would be alone for 4 1/2 hours before my father could come and walk him. it was awful i hate the dark ph34r in the end when my father came to walk him sam wasn't here, OH had taken him out even though he thought he wouldn't have time. i rushed home from work to let him out and OH still wasn't back ::)
 (Oh allergy has been really good so he took him in the van today for the first time in months they went for a walk then he kept him with him while he drove around a few jobs, was a bit chesty when he cam home but really really good for him) don';t want to hi jack the thread though :005:

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »
Yeeeaah !Gemma way to go..being positive works every time! glad you and the "boys" are enjoyin life again..good on you love! :luv:   Jo X
jo & ruby =)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2008, 09:17:28 PM »
When I haven't been able to take Millie out for a long walk I hide a tennis ball in the flat (while she's shut in the kitchen) and tell her to 'find it', she then gets a portion of her tea for brining it back. It took a few days to teach her what to do but it really tires her out and she loves it  :D.

I'm glad things are getting better for you. The mornings will get easier when it gets lighter, watching the sun come up while out walking the dogs is one of my favourite things in life  :D.

Millie