Author Topic: Big fight - Updated - they had another one!  (Read 8104 times)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Big fight - Updated - they had another one!
« on: May 06, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
For the past few weeks things have been seeming to go quite well with the boys, but they just had a massive fight which neither would back down from. :'( I don't know what started the fight, but it went on for easily 6-8 minutes. :o

First of all i just watched and waited for it to fizzle out like it usually does, but it just went on and on, so i threw a bucket of water at them :embarassed: to try and shock them into stopping so i could separate them. :-\ that didn't work and it went on and on, so i tried to grab Rudy's back legs so i could pull them apart, and they were both just attached to each other, not letting go. :o so i grabbed both collars and twisted them so they had to let go, and then threw Jarvis in the kitchen and left Rudy outside, where they still are now. :-\

Neither seem to actually be injured, but they are both soaked with slobber and water, so i can't see too clearly. They are both absolutely exhausted though. :-\

I have no idea what this means though, 'cos Rudy wouldn't back down, which was what was different from normal. :-\

I don't know what to do now either, keep them separate for the rest of the day? :huh: Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline laurenollie

• Site Member
Re: Big fight
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »
Sorry Beth i don't know

Hope you are all OK though - i would of been petrified!!!

Sure someone will be along soon

L&O x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:08:06 PM »

Oh Beth I'm so sorry...hope you are all OK..it must have been so frightening  :o
The only thing my behaviourist told me if my 2 have a big fight is too separate them but where they can still see each other ...so behind a stairgate/crate and depending how big the fight was to leave them apart for an hour (smallish fight) and up to the a half a day if it was a BIG fight...for the adrenalin levels to go back down ...i hope this is right as i would hate to give you wrong advise and make the situation worse  :huh:
Hope you will be OK  :-*

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:14:20 PM »
oh crikey Beth - I hope you're ok  :-\

No advice really..... did you manage to find a behaviourist??

xxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »
Oh Beth, no advice but hope everyone is ok!
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »
I don't know about the dogs adrenaline levels, but mine were through the roof. ph34r :005: Was shaking afterwards. :embarassed:

I think i'll leave them separate for a while yet, and then try introducing them through a stair gate.

I have an appointment with a behaviourist ion the 16th.

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »

Hope your nerves have settled a bit  ;)...i would have been the same especially as you did all they say to do if your dogs fight and they still dont stop  :o
really hope the behavourist can advise and help  ;)
xx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:54:48 PM »
Me too! :005:

I'm gonna ring the bahviourist tomorrow and update them, so they can maybe advise me, and if not at least they're prepared for the latest changes. ::)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
Oh noooo :'( Rudy is limping on a front leg. >:( will keep a close eye on him and have to visit the v.e.t. if he's not better tomorrow. >:D

Offline screamingswifts

• Limited Member
  • Fargo the Scruff Butt
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
Blimey, must have been quite scary, well done for getting them apart, no wonder you were shaking after. Hope they are ok and settle down again this evening. Can you get your appointment with the behaviourist brought forward at all?

Sounds like a good glass of wine is called for  :shades:

Offline jools

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:44:06 PM »
Where's Gill....she's the queen of the big fight scenario. Beth, I was nervous reading your post.....you are so lucky you didn't get a bad bite - it could easily have happened.

I have no advice, other than look after yourself and Indie. You are taking on so much looking after 3 dogs and a young baby.  :-\

Hope everything works out for you.

I'd PM Gill if I were you.
With love from Julie, Bramble Poppy and Coco xxx

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »
aaww Beth I'm so sorry, I think you did brilliant, I'd have been a nervous wreck!

I don't have any experience I'm afraid, just wanted to say that it if were serious then there would be injuries. Dogs can cause horrific injuries in just seconds. If they were fighting for six minutes and there is no blood and no serious injuries then maybe it was more of a "clear the air" argument rather than a " I hate you I want to kill you"  IYSWIM.

Just a thought

Hope things improve  :-*  xxx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 07:12:02 PM »
I've checked Rudy's leg over really thoroughly now, and there's no punctures at all, but he's hardly bearing any weight on it and is very reluctant to walk... i just had to carry him on to the sofa and he's not moved off it. :'( He seems to be really sensitive around the wrist bit and it does seem a bit clicky. :-\ He also has a small split at the bottom of his ear flap, but that should be fine, especially as he's already on anti-b's for his acne. I am really worried about his leg though. :-\ he does seem to be in quite a bit of pain. :'(

Jarvis (the big brute!) is fine, thankfully.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 08:29:24 PM »
It sounds like Rudy wants to be top dog and that Jarvis is having none of his antics. :shades: This can happen with two same sex dogs when there's not a big age difference.

Try and get the behaviourist to come earlier. ;)

And keep yourself and little Indie out of the line of fire.
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline MegandMolly

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »
Would it be worth muzzling them when you reintroduce them in case they kick off again???
Take care with Indie getting too close with this behaviour going on
Sam (that's me), Meg (B&W cocker), Ruby (Blue Roan cocker) and Gemma (Black lab)