Author Topic: Big fight - Updated - they had another one!  (Read 8105 times)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
Re: Big fight
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »
Take care with Indie getting too close with this behaviour going on

Don't worry about that, Indie is never out of my arms when they are in the same room, just in case. ;) When it all kicked off earlier, Indie got unceremoniously dumped in the lounge with the door shut just to keep him out of the way. ph34r :005:

It sounds like Rudy wants to be top dog and that Jarvis is having none of his antics. :shades: This can happen with two same sex dogs when there's not a big age difference.

Try and get the behaviourist to come earlier. ;)

And keep yourself and little Indie out of the line of fire.

That was my line of thought too. :-\ I can give the behaviourist a ring, but that was the only appointment time i can really do, 'cos i've got to get to the dog school, and i'm dependant on lifts. :-\
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline ludo

• Site Member
  • Enya
    • Shirepark Cockers
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »
Scary stuff  :-\ I'm not surprised you were shaking - sounds like you were brilliant to me sorting it out.  I hope your boys leg is ok and that your behaviourist will be able to help  ;)  Will be sending you kind thoughts  :blink:
http:www.shireparkcockers.co.uk

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »
Oh dear I am so sorry to hear that  :'( ...I have only witnessed little scraps with my two and hated it ..hope the behaviourist can help you (((hug))) x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »
That was my line of thought too. :-\ I can give the behaviourist a ring, but that was the only appointment time i can really do, 'cos i've got to get to the dog school, and i'm dependant on lifts. :-\

Even if she can't see you earlier she may give you some tips on how to deal with it until she can see you in person. I'd pm Mark too

Offline wend

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Harvey and Summer didn't get on for the first few months and were constantly fighting so my dog trainer told me to put a house line on one of them. It gives you something to get hold of to break them up. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
Oh Beth, I'm so sorry.. I can't offer much advice I'm afraid. When I rehomed Norms she was getting a bit stressed out by Dave's puppy antics so I ended up keeping them separate most of the time (just a stairgate between them) my son tended to be in Norm's side of the house too  :005: until Dave was about 9.5 months old. They've been absolutely fine together since then - I can even feed them in the same room and I'm completely happy leaving them together when I'm out now. They still wrestle a couple of times a day but I've never seen them properly fight - but then again Norms is a 3 yr old bitch and Dave is 1 in a couple of weeks and there is a bit size/breed difference.

I watched and watched them and I genuinely don't think there is a top dog scenario in my house Norms will end a wrestle when she's had enough because her physical size and ability makes it easy for her - she'll stand on his ears and shout at him a couple of times or boot him away by swinging her body at him then quietly growl if he comes back and then he leaves her alone. But she'll also happily let him take toys and food from her or get in her bed etc. They seem to have found a level where they co-exist but neither is in charge.

I really hope you can get it sorted with your boys soon :luv:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »
 :-\ They met briefly this morning, and appeared to be okay, but i just got back from a walk with Jarvis and let Rudy in the garden so they met again and i only just managed to stop them starting again. :o

They are separate as much as possible, but it's going to be impossible to keep them totally separate. :-\

I'm going to ring the behaviourist, and see what they say, but i'm getting a bit worried that having them together isn't the best thing for either of them. :-\

Offline CarolineL

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 11:28:09 AM »
I'm going to ring the behaviourist, and see what they say, but i'm getting a bit worried that having them together isn't the best thing for either of them. :-\

Good luck with speaking to the behaviourist Beth - I hope that you manage to get some sound advice

xxxx
Caroline, Hurley the cocker, Jasper Cat and Little Mo xxxxx

"My name's not Hurley, it's Hugo Reyes. Hurley's just a nickname I have. Why?.... I'm not telling..."

Offline karen45

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »
I know exactly what you are going through.  We rehomed a springer spaniel 10 months ago aged 7 (female) last summer and our cocker Jake was very jealous.  Anything kicked off fights, jealousy over us, toys, balls, food.  They had some really nasty fights in the first 4 months both incurring injuries.  In the last 6 months, however, they have had only 2.  When they do fight I separate them and ignore them totally say for a few hours upwards depending on the severity of the fight.  This gives them time to cool off and also possibly they realise I am unhappy with their behaviour.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008, 12:40:09 PM »
:-\ They met briefly this morning, and appeared to be okay, but i just got back from a walk with Jarvis and let Rudy in the garden so they met again and i only just managed to stop them starting again. :o

They are separate as much as possible, but it's going to be impossible to keep them totally separate. :-\

Oh hun  :-* Keeping them separate isn't practical long term, you're right - particularly as Indy becomes more mobile too. I take my hat off to you as multi-dogs as a single parent of a young child is extremely hard work (I've questioned my sanity on more than a couple of occasions :005:) You also worry if any of them are getting the right levels of attention - particularly if there are issues. I've had Norms nearly 8 months now she's always going to be a bit of a handful to manage on walks but I can deal with that because she's 100% in the home with us, other dogs coming in and most importantly other peoples kids too - even those that are scared/nervous and not very good with dogs. So I know that when Tom has friends over to play, both my dogs are calm and easy to manage whilst I have to keep an eye on the kids... If I'd had more of a problem with either of them, I would take action and do something about it as at the end of the day the dogs become stressed out and so do the owners and kids and no one is particularly happy - and you're always worried about a potential accident.

If it's not the right home for Rudy (and he's not the right dog for your current family) then you'll know and shouldn't feel bad about taking a positive step to resolve that - Indy is your first priority and you want him to be able to have the freedom at home to explore without constantly having to manage who's in which room and what they can all do etc - you just don't have the time for all that and it's no real quality of life for any of you.. Guess what I'm trying to say is that if the behaviourist advises you that he might be better elsewhere maybe as an only dog, you shouldn't feel bad about it and I'm sure everyone on here would also support you in that decision.  :-* :-*

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 02:30:30 PM »
Well.... i've just spoken to the behaviourist, and she's confirmed my fears really. :'( I'm going to get Jarvis checked over at a vets for any physical reason for his behaviour, but i'm almost certain there isn't one, :-\ and then decide what's in the best interests of them. :'(

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
Gosh Beth, I have no advice, just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you, what a terrible time you are having, I hope you manage to sort something out quickly for all your sanity, you will be in my thoughts  :-*  :-*

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »

hope you are OK Beth..i agree with Hannah i think your doing a great job but sometimes no matter how much effort we put into something it doesn't always work out as we wish :-*....although we have had Lola from a pup it hasn't been the easiest of rides with my 2 and who knows where we will be in 2 months,6 months or even next week with them...there is no guarantee's that 2 dogs will get along  no matter how much work we put and we at some point could be where you are today...i really hope we wont be but you never know  :huh:
OH call me a pessimist..i say I'm a realist (SP)  ;)...mine are never going to be bosom buddies but the minimum i want from them is to tolerate each other and live in some sort of harmony together  ;)
thinking of you and hope thing work out for you all  :-*

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »

hope you are OK Beth..i agree with Hannah i think your doing a great job but sometimes no matter how much effort we put into something it doesn't always work out as we wish :-*....although we have had Lola from a pup it hasn't been the easiest of rides with my 2 and who knows where we will be in 2 months,6 months or even next week with them...there is no guarantee's that 2 dogs will get along  no matter how much work we put and we at some point could be where you are today...i really hope we wont be but you never know  :huh:
OH call me a pessimist..i say I'm a realist (SP)  ;)...mine are never going to be bosom buddies but the minimum i want from them is to tolerate each other and live in some sort of harmony together  ;)
thinking of you and hope thing work out for you all  :-*

this is kind of my dilemma... if i keep Rudy here, and it escalates and one of them gets seriously injured or worse i could never forgive myself, but at the same time i don't want to jump the gun and rehome Rudy if it will all calm down in a few months. :-\ :huh:

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2008, 04:03:52 PM »

That is the dilemma  :huh: cause you never know which way it will go until you get there  :-\
I haven't had the level of fighting that you have had to deal with..we just have a bit of handbag bashing but i still dint like it  ::) and know in my heart of hearts that if we did get to where you are now, i personally couldn't live with it ...but thats me...i would be unhappy and stressed the dogs would be unhappy and stressed and i dint think i could live like that ...its not fair on anybody  :'(...but to make that decision would break my heart as i know it would break yours too..but if I'm ever in the situation you are in at the minute  i hope that the support of people on here would help me through it   ;)...whatever is right for you Beth is the right decision  ;)