Author Topic: What to do when you're in over your head  (Read 8221 times)

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
Re: What to do when you're in over your head
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »
Have no help I can offer except to say, well done for staying in there and I hope you manage to get the proffessional "extra help", a problem shared is a problem halved, if we could all wish good behaviour on him, he would be a model dog  :luv: :luv: :luv: chin up love  :luv:

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
Have no help I can offer except to say, well done for staying in there and I hope you manage to get the proffessional "extra help", a problem shared is a problem halved, if we could all wish good behaviour on him, he would be a model dog  :luv: :luv: :luv: chin up love  :luv:

what a lovely post!  You say it all!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Beth, I'm in all evening tomorrow if you need me ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
Beth, really hope you are in contact with Mark and hope you'll manage to find ways of resolving Jarvis's problems. Thinking about you  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
Me too   :-* :-*
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
Beth, I'm in all evening tomorrow if you need me ;)

Thanks Mark, i'll ring tonight :-*
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »

Beth...im sorry you are struggling at the minute  :-* its not much fun when something you should be enjoying turns out to be a pain in the rear  ::) and dont think i have any real advise  :huh:
I agree that no one can change your dogs personality...but I think you can change the reaction/behaviour of a dog and how they deal with different things and also the reactions and behaviour of the human to the dogs issues....but i do think it needs a behaviourist to help do that  :-\ they are not close to the situation so can see a different view ...It really does help to just off load to a third party and to get some understanding of why he is behaving how he is  ;) they are also good as you feel you have back up and are not struggling alone which i think can add to your feelings of resentment if you feel you are coping on your own  :huh:

Hope you manage to find some help...you have worked really hard for him perhaps its time to share the workload a little  ;)

I've been struggling to write something here Beth, but bibathediva sums it up for me  :-*

Hope you can find the right behaviourist to help, I'm sure Mark may have contacts for you so pm him.

:bigarmhug: 

What they both said  ;)

Sorry you are finding Jarvis a struggle at the moment Beth.  It is hard when our idea of a happy, harmonious life with our animals turns out to be blooming hard work and full of stress - speaking from experience here  :-\  I hope you can find someone to help you with Jarvis's issues and things settle down.   :-* :-*  I am sure Mark will be able to offer you some good advice and practical suggestions to try.

You have a lot on your plate so let people help you if they are willing to.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »

Just to be 100% clear, Beth - any time you want some company for a Sunday walk, just shout!!  If we could get to you other days, we would, but it gets a bit tricky with work, but Sundays are generally all about the dog anyway!

And as long as we don't chat for too long at the end of the walk, there shouldn't be grumbles between them!  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »
Just to be 100% clear, Beth - any time you want some company for a Sunday walk, just shout!!  If we could get to you other days, we would, but it gets a bit tricky with work, but Sundays are generally all about the dog anyway!

And as long as we don't chat for too long at the end of the walk, there shouldn't be grumbles between them!  ;)

Thanks Claire :luv: :-* I'm about most sundays too, the most exciting thing i do on sundays is walk Jarvis so whenever you're free ;) :D

Right have just been talking to Mr. Top Barks (thank you :luv:) and have a plan of things to get on with for now. Hopefully the boy will co-operate, and actually for the past few days he's been really good. :angel: (Perhaps he snuck on here and read what i wrote about him :o ph34r) Have also had a recommendation for a behaviourist (thank you too :-*) so i'll give them a ring too and try to get someone out to see him.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
Only just seen this Beth, I really feel for you it's a nightmare when you have to keep everyone separate and 'manage' the house all the time.. I'm dreading Maggie becoming mobile too just because I know Dave will have his tongue in her mouth the whole time ::). I'm also walking my two separately at the moment most of the time because I'm too tired to deal with them getting into trouble which they are more likely to do when they're together :lol:

I'm glad you've had some help, will keep everything crossed for you that he starts to get a bit easier soon  :-*

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »
Right have just been talking to Mr. Top Barks (thank you :luv:) and have a plan of things to get on with for now. Hopefully the boy will co-operate, and actually for the past few days he's been really good. :angel: (Perhaps he snuck on here and read what i wrote about him :o ph34r) Have also had a recommendation for a behaviourist (thank you too :-*) so i'll give them a ring too and try to get someone out to see him.

Bless him, I bet he did have a sneaky peek  :005: Great news Beth, hope it all goes well for you, at least you will be getting a different perspective on things. Good luck  :luv:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:46 PM »
Lots of hugs from us here too  :-* :luv: :luv:
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2009, 04:22:44 PM »
 >:( after however many days of being really well behaved he just attacked Lucy again >:D we were all out in the garden where there was nothing to guard and with no warning he just launched himself at her and really went for it >:D poor Lucy was really yelping and as usual he didn't stop >:D i had to shout his name to get him to stop and sent him inside, which he did willingly. I am now doubting if it's him guarding at all as his guarding is very noisy grumbly behavuiour, and if sent away from the spot he's guarding something he'll grab whatever it is before moving ::) but with this he's not got any of that... just seems to be flipping at her. >:D

Offline bernie

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »
Hi Beth

Only just caught up with this thread.  Sorry to hear that Jarvis is being very difficult, no useful advice, but I hope it all works out for you and your little family.
Love Bernie, Ruby and Ted x

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2009, 04:37:31 PM »
Glad Mark has been able to give you some advice, hope it gets better  :-*

Do you think that sharing the problem has helped you relax a bit and therefore Jarvis has relaxed, amazing how they pick up when we are stressed  ;) Either that or he is one clever pooch reading COL  :shades:  mind you, someone was telling us we should try the electric collar on Lou when he bogs off - he was a model canine for days after, sure he knew :005:

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie