Author Topic: What to do when you're in over your head  (Read 8221 times)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
Re: What to do when you're in over your head
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2009, 09:10:07 PM »
Hello Beth.      I have just read about your problems with Jarvis....sorry with what you're going through :'(
I dont' know whether it will help or not but I too had to get a behaviourist to give guidance with my little cocker Tinkerbell. She was born (virtually) blind and had issues that I needed expert advice with. Although Tinker & Jarvices problems are different, the behaviourist helped us to understand and adjust 'our' behaviour aswell as helping her. It wasn't a cure but it did help and I have a better understanding of how we all interact in 'our pack'!! I live in Bournemouth and the behaviourist lives in Christchurch, so not too far from you. I can't remember exactly how much it was but £80 rings a bell...(but don't quote me!!) It was over a year ago but if you want more info send me a pm and I'll get back to you.   I really hope you can get it sorted.....sometimes the the biggest problems can be sorted by the tinniest of solutions........good luck!! :luv:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »
HI Beth, I so admire you for what you are trying to achieve it can't be easy, especially with a young baby. You stick in my mind as you have Cocker Jarvis And Cavvy Lucy like I have Cocker Annie and Cavvy Maisie..when we got Annie you were so helpful re Cocker/Cavvy relationships to me Im sorry things are tough...I know you won't give up on Jarvis and anything I can do to help please let me know. Sarah  :luv:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline skyesmum

• Limited Member
  • My 2 Girls!
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2009, 10:31:55 AM »
Hi Beth

was checking back in to see how you're doing....

:-* :-* :-* :-*
xxx  Gill, Skye-de-Pie and Puppy Ruaidh  xxx

Offline Jayne_S

• Oscar
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
Hi Beth; just wondering how you got on finding a behaviourist.

My vet told me it was £160 an hour; but as it turns out its for at least 2 hours maybe more so I've asked them to send me the questionnaire.  Like you I'm a single parent and monies not great, but as my 9 year old daughter said 'he's ours now' and I've got to do as much as I can to help Oscar so he enjoys life better without being scared/nervous.

I've rose to every other challenge life has thrown at me so here goes  ;)

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
I got details from another dog trainer i called, but my darling son turned the pooter off before i saved it ::) so i have to ring them again to try to get the number. Hoping Mark has a contact down this way too. :D

Have got my driving test in just over a week :o ph34r so am just going to try to focus on that for now and then get on to finding someone once that's out of the way i think, need to try to focus on one thing at a time, and if i pass then it'd make things easier too as i could go to someone which'd hopefully make things cheaper too, there was someone good over southampton way for only £50 which would be much easier to manage.
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Jayne_S

• Oscar
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 11:17:09 AM »
Good Luck for your driving test! 

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 11:19:17 AM »
Sorry to hear of your situation with Jarv, just wondered, if perhaps his new housemates (the cats) could have maybe upset the applecart and started off his recent behaviour?  Probably not, but worth thinking about, dogs can be complicated can't they, if only they could tell us whats wrong, would make life easier.

Hope you get it sorted out :blink:

Good luck for the driving test btw :shades:

Offline Beth

• Site Member
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »
Sorry to hear of your situation with Jarv, just wondered, if perhaps his new housemates (the cats) could have started off his recent behaviour?  Probably not, but worth thinking about, dogs can be complicated can't they, if only they could tell us whats wrong, would make life easier.

Hope you get it sorted out :blink:

Good luck for the driving test btw :shades:

I did wonder that myself, but they're still almost completely kept separate so i don't think the cats really have much impact on t'doggies. When they first arrived there was one incident which was definitely Jarvis telling Lucy off for barking at the cats ::) but she's improved loads with them now and Jarvis is actually really good with cats (better than he is with dogs it seems ::))

Thanks for the good luck wishes, am going to be a nervous wreck ph34r :lol2:
Owned by Jarvis (Cocker), and Lucy (Cavalier).

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »

I did wonder that myself, but they're still almost completely kept separate so i don't think the cats really have much impact on t'doggies. When they first arrived there was one incident which was definitely Jarvis telling Lucy off for barking at the cats ::) but she's improved loads with them now and Jarvis is actually really good with cats (better than he is with dogs it seems ::))

Thanks for the good luck wishes, am going to be a nervous wreck ph34r :lol2:

Thats quite interesting Beth, he must know they are the house though and I do wonder if he is still "telling off" Lucy in some way, perhaps in a protective way, maybe he feels Lucy is a threat to the cats, especially if you say he gets on well with cats, bless him :luv:  Maybe its his way of keeping Lucy in line, even though she may not be doing anything at the time to the cats IYSWIM.  Dogs eh, who would them :005:

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »

Good luck with the test Beth  :-* and really hope you can get Jarvis sorted as well  ;)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »

Good luck with the test Beth  :-* and really hope you can get Jarvis sorted as well  ;)

Wot she said  :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
Hi Beth,
I thought Emma's points were really interesting...wonder if there may be something in what she suggests.
Anyway, I think you're absolutely right to just focus on your driving test just now; really hope you pass, it will change your life  :D
Sue

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
I got details from another dog trainer i called, but my darling son turned the pooter off before i saved it ::) so i have to ring them again to try to get the number. Hoping Mark has a contact down this way too. :D

Have got my driving test in just over a week :o ph34r so am just going to try to focus on that for now and then get on to finding someone once that's out of the way i think, need to try to focus on one thing at a time, and if i pass then it'd make things easier too as i could go to someone which'd hopefully make things cheaper too, there was someone good over southampton way for only £50 which would be much easier to manage.

Hi Beth you are too far away for my contact but she made a couple of suggestions below.

Hi Mark

I'd probably suggest Sally Sanford (apbc) or else a lovely lady called Sally (again!) who is on somewhere called Turkey Island,
her website is here:

http://www.scallywagsdogs.com/

I'd probably suggest her first actually...

Hth
Lindsay

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk