Author Topic: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated  (Read 18425 times)

Offline Gordo

Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice - updated
« on: July 12, 2009, 08:40:06 PM »
We are new to the forum.

Lily is a six month old Blue Roan.

Lily has recently shown signs of serious aggression. We saw a behaviourist on Thursday who said it was related to her inability to deal with her frustration. Today, however, her behaviour has escalated. She went for my other half when he tried to take her lead off after her walk (she has done this before) so we ignored the bad behaviour. For the rest of the afternoon/evening she has shown serious aggression if we even stroke her (growling, snarling, barking and trying to bite). She has also taken to guarding her toys, her pad and the sofa if she can get on it.

We have contacted the behaviourist, but, he can't understand the sudden escalation in aggression.

We are at the end of our tethers. Has anyone else had similar issues or can you offer any advice to help us get through the night?

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
Re: Serious Aggression - Desperately need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »
Cant give advice for the problem your having sorry but with regards for what to do tonight i would stay away from her. Dont look at her, approach her or touch her. If she comes to you fine but if not keep away. Does she use a crate?
If she does I would pop her in her crate and remove everything you dont want her to have and leave some toys for her. I wouldnt go near her while she had anything she could guard.

Offline sassie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
Hi - I'm not as experienced as many others on here, but do you think she may be experiencing some kind of pain, would you be able to pop her to the vets tomorrow just to check?

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Has your dog being given a thorough check by your vet including a full thyroid panel?
Who was the behaviourist and what qualifications do they have?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Gordo

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:49:08 PM »
We already are staying away from her, and she does sleep in a crate. The worst part is she approaches us and sits happily at our feet for attention and if we stroke her she growls and lunges.

She is in the garden at the moment happily chewing a leaf and she still responds to our commands but then becomes aggressive after treating/praise.  :(

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
I'm no expert, but you say that your behaviourist said "it was related to her inability to deal with her frustration". I'm wondering what frustration a 6 month old puppy has to deal with?

Is she having enough stimulation/playtime/rest periods?

It's a long time since I had a puppy but I can't imagine a 6 month old puppy having frustration problems  :-\

How long have you had her?

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
Dont touch her then, even if shes sat at your feet. It does sound like she could be in pain

Offline Gordo

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 08:52:31 PM »
She was checked out by the vet and we were refered to the behaviourist by them. The behaviourist is David Appleby MSc CCAB. He has been recommended by a number of people and several vets/trainers.

She doesn't appear to be in pain. We could take her to the vet if we can get her into her car harness without being bitten.

Offline mcphee

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 08:57:07 PM »
Does she have a favourite game such as throw the squeaky toy with which you can distract her? Also, I wonder about pain. Is her digestion ok. I am with the others, I can't think what the frustration would be. Has she got a dog flap? I found this really useful for Rufus because he could have his mad cocker moments both inside and out.

Offline Gordo

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 09:05:44 PM »
She doesn't seem to be in pain - I can usually read her moods etc, but over the weekend I'm even doubting my ability to do this.  Her digestion is fine and the door is always open so she can go in and out of the house as she pleases.

We have been playing with her toys with her, and where she used to bring them back to play 'fetch', she's not even doing that now?

I assume her frustration is because she's not getting what she wants, ie attention from chewing shoes/shoe laces.

She's just come in out of the garden with a stone and just because she's settled down at our feet and hubby's foot dares to be near her head, she's growling!  :huh:

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:57 PM »
How long have you had her?

Offline Gordo

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:13:03 PM »
We've had her 4 months, so we can't even put it down to settling into a new home!  We got her at 7.5 weeks.

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 09:16:48 PM »
I'm so sorry you are going through this  :'(

Something is terribly wrong for a puppy her age to be acting this way, very over the top, even for adolescence. I would think more than likely it is physical, especially if it has been a new development and is quickly escalating. It may be some sort of hormonal or thyroid problem, as Top Barks said.

A vet exam for behaviour would include complete bloodwork including full thyroid panel (not just T3/T4)

Did the behaviourist offer anything besides a lack of understanding why?  ::) Such as seeing you ASAP as you seem to need some intervention now, and any cases of aggression need to be seen by a qualified professional

Hope you can get to the bottom of this soon
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
Hi from another silly Lily owner. Try to stay calm and as has been said dont touch her. She sounds very afraid and stressed and the more you try and coax her or reassure her the worse it will get. My advice would be to totally ignore her in every sense for the rest of the evening and night. No looking, no touching, no speaking to her. Pretend she is not there. I am not a behaviorist but I've fostered over a dozen spaniels with issues including ones like your Lily (and my Lily) and although what she is doing makes no sense to you it will make perfect sense to her. She is in full on self defence mode and as she is stressed its the old 'fight or flight' instinct so if she cant move away or be left alone she will lash out.

We obviously dont know her history so we cant say what you should do next but you definitely need to contact your vet and/or behaviourist asap.

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline ruby ruby doo

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »
my dog has her moments when she gets "one on her" and gets snappy..usually if she feels she has not had enough exercise...or has a particular treasure she doe s nt want to relinquish...we certainly avoid her and do not confront her or go too close..you are doing right staying calm and not confronting her...the heat could have upset her possibly...? continuing to be kind and not getting cross or dominant is definitely the best bet as agression in return only aggravates the dog s aggressive behaviour...Ruby usually calms down in her crate... I wonder if her hormones are kicking in and starting to bother her ..Ruby had miserable moments around that age where she started to drag around like an old lady which I believe was down to hormones...her snappy moments are pretty rare now but being calm and kind is always the best way forward...I hope you get some solution...we all get snappy at times and i m sure even the sweetest dog will get irritable at times...all the best !
with early teething biting problems and the odd episode of unpredictable "nuttiness" ..there have been moments when I ve thought what have I done..but with patience and perseverence we have an adorable dog who we understand and avoid when a little hormonal and grumpy..
jo & ruby =)