Author Topic: clickerwork: show me something new  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
Re: clickerwork: show me something new
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
Ok, how about pick up a designated toy and take it to a mat or a box?
who's up for it? :D

yep count me and Rosie in. I'm maybe being over ambitious, but I'm flushed with success after getting her to chase and retrieve a solid pine cone. She used to chase it then proceed to destroy it! >:D
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 06:19:36 PM »
This is a great idea - I haven't done any clicker training with Coco in far too long  ::)

I was just out in the garage with her so thought I would have a quick go.  I got her to get in a cardboard box and sit in it about 1.5 minutes  :o  I then put the box on a garden trolley I have in there and another 1.5 minutes she jumped in and was sitting in the box on the trolley  :luv:  She really paid attention which is something that has been a bit erratic of late.  >:(  I am definitely going to do some more stuff with her  :D

Thanks for the reminder - lots of good ideas on here too  :D

Will def have a go at this one  ;)  What's the prize??  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 06:51:05 PM »

What's the prize??  :005:

A new clicker? :005:

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 09:41:32 PM »
I think I'll give this a try with Harry, should be a laugh  :lol2:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Ok, call me dopy, but what the crocadile hat is 'shaping'??????:dunno: :dunno:
This all osunds dead fun and I'd quite like to try this with Harvey, but I'm a little baffled.

I get the bowl of treat idea and seeing what they do, but I haven't got a scooby doo what 'shaping' is all about??

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
Ok, call me dopy, but what the crocadile hat is 'shaping'??????:dunno: :dunno:
This all osunds dead fun and I'd quite like to try this with Harvey, but I'm a little baffled.

I get the bowl of treat idea and seeing what they do, but I haven't got a scooby doo what 'shaping' is all about??

Have a read of this christina  :D

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=65408.0

Think il have a go at this with Flynn or Amber  :luv:
dont really want Jack or Brie picking things up taking them away from me and putting them down  :005:

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »
Ooh, I think Harvey learnt 'beg ' this way, as I was ignoring him when he was doing a 'wave' then sterted standing. I remember using that as a prime oppurtunity to click away everytime he did that.

With the weather getting increasingly miserable I think this may be a fun activity to do with Harvey on those rainy evenings  ;)

Cheers for the link Jo  :D

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:58 PM »
Are we to do free shaping, or can we lure? :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 09:21:39 AM »
Oh thanks for the link, I'd missed that thread  ph34r
I've always taught Max behaviours by luring but think now I'm going to attempt shaping with Harry.
On yesterdays walk I didn't say anything when I stopped at the kerb & eventually he sat - so obviously click & treat (I had previously been telling him to sit & he will copy Max if they're out together - or he'll also copy Max by looking up the road to see if there's anything more interesting!  >:() at each kerb he did actually start to sit quicker, so fingers crossed its beginning to click  :D
So, I'm going to give it a go with this behaviour for starters & see how we go.  I love clicker work, both dogs get excited now when the clicker comes out & it really tires them too  :luv:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
Are we to do free shaping, or can we lure? :005:

Go on Sue, try free shaping it. ;)

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
Oh flip, me and Chloe are getting into a right old guddle with this  :005: Get the scene - the clicker comes out first thing this morning and Chloe imediately performs every behaviour she knows in quick succession without me even looking at her...blimey, she just loves that clicker  :005: So firstly I think I'll just work on targetting with a mat, yep....she will do that no problem. Then I tell her to get her ball, as that's her favourite occupation in the world, she got her ball no problem, so click for picking up ball. But she just want to bring ball to me for throws and hasn't the foggiest idea how to drop it on the mat. I'm crawling around the floor like an eejit trying to demonstrate what she is to do (yeah, I know that's rubbish, I caught myself at it and thought, omg, what AM I doing  :005:) Now I know this is a wee challenge, but any help from anyone would be much appreciated  :005: :005: I guess I can, perhaps, maybe, lure her to the mat whilst she has the ball in her mouth?? Or perhaps I should just chose a different toy altogether, cos she associates the ball so much with fun and games? How's everyone else getting on?

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
How's everyone else getting on?

Not well. I've been trying the free shaping. I chose a toy she has never shown any interest in, I've got her to touch the toy and even pick it up, then she lies down with it between her paws with her bum in the air asking me to take it off her. Stumped now :huh:
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:57 PM »

Sue - if she is picking the toy up and heading to you, try positioning the mat between the toy and you... that way she must touch the mat to get to you - and you can click then!!
 :D

Haven't started this yet.... am ill and very busy... might give it a go on Sunday afternoon, though!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:24 PM »

Sue - if she is picking the toy up and heading to you, try positioning the mat between the toy and you... that way she must touch the mat to get to you - and you can click then!!
 :D

Haven't started this yet.... am ill and very busy... might give it a go on Sunday afternoon, though!  :D

Brilliant tip...I'll try that  ;) Hey, sorry you're feeling ill, hope you recover soon....and look forward to hearing how you get on on Sunday afternoon  :luv:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 11:16:03 PM »
Oh flip, me and Chloe are getting into a right old guddle with this  :005: Get the scene - the clicker comes out first thing this morning and Chloe imediately performs every behaviour she knows in quick succession without me even looking at her...blimey, she just loves that clicker  :005: So firstly I think I'll just work on targetting with a mat, yep....she will do that no problem. Then I tell her to get her ball, as that's her favourite occupation in the world, she got her ball no problem, so click for picking up ball. But she just want to bring ball to me for throws and hasn't the foggiest idea how to drop it on the mat. I'm crawling around the floor like an eejit trying to demonstrate what she is to do (yeah, I know that's rubbish, I caught myself at it and thought, omg, what AM I doing  :005:) Now I know this is a wee challenge, but any help from anyone would be much appreciated  :005: :005: I guess I can, perhaps, maybe, lure her to the mat whilst she has the ball in her mouth?? Or perhaps I should just chose a different toy altogether, cos she associates the ball so much with fun and games? How's everyone else getting on?

That has made me laugh out loud. I can just picture you crawling round with a ball on a mat and Chloe clicking YOU!!!
Hope you manage to get to the next stge soon!