Author Topic: Jumping for joy!  (Read 348 times)

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
Jumping for joy!
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »
Hi everyone

Got a little problem where my pup (nearly 7 months) has this initial spring of excitement when she meets anyone in or outdoors. They nearly aways say "oh it's OK" but it's not and it's very confusing for the dog.
However, I need to eliminate this behaviour if she's to progress to the next level of training because all I'm doing at the moment is putting my hand to her nose to prevent her continuously jumping, but the "jumping up foul" has already been committed.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Mel.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Jumping for joy!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »
No real advice just saying I know how you feel and will be watching this for replies as this is becoming a really annoying problem for me too.  At the moment Archie is behind a gate when visitors arrive but he still jumps all over them once he's allowed out. He understands the "down" command, I just can't seem to teach him not to get up in the first place. I have to put him back on the lead if we see people coming towards us out on a walk. I hate it when people say its OK and then make a fuss of him while he has his paws on them. I never touch him if he jumps up. I say down and put one finger up - he learns hand signals better than voice commands. I stay totally still until he is down. If he doesn't respond, I turn away and fold my arms. Getting visitors to follow these rules is tricky though and out on a walk there is no chance hence the lead!

Offline Tiger

Re: Jumping for joy!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
It is the most annoying thing when people say its ok.   >:D I'm now known as the "ah ah" woman, as I usually say that as soon as I see him start to go on his back legs, and I have to admit its working.  He now only jumps when he's been going loopy with the other dogs and forgets himself.  Although I do think he bounces on me extra hard now  :005: >:D