Author Topic: Do you cut working cockers?  (Read 1876 times)

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
Do you cut working cockers?
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:19:55 PM »
Jack is a 6 mo. old working cocker, never had a haircut. I don't see that I need to cut his fur at all-it's very short. Are you supposed to?

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Re: Do you cut working cockers?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:29:54 PM »
Only if needed ;)
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:00:14 PM »
Barney is 8 months and we have only had to do his paws.  Although he has some feathering coming in now he hasn't needed a haircut yet xx

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 05:10:40 PM »
Alfie's a 6 and a half month old worker and so far I've only had to do his yeti paws, the rest of his hair is quite short and silky. I posted some pics of him today in the puppy gallery if you want to see.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Penel

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 07:22:18 PM »
Hattie is over 2 yrs old now - and as you can see from her recent video clip - she is very short coated - I trim her paws and her tail which gets very long feathering - other than that no trimming whatsoever.... :D

Offline denisec

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »
Ghillie is a year old and she doesn't look like she needs trimming.  Maybe in time her tail and leg feathering might need a tidy up.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 09:41:19 PM »
only use coat king on the ears and problematic hairy elbows and trimming between the toes.

if it ain't broke why fix it???

helen & jarvis x

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
Ben is 12 months and the only hair I've had to cut is in an unmentionable place (just seems to grow so long)!  However, he was castrated at 7.5 months and I think because of that his coat is now growing at a alarming rate  :005: He lost all that puppy fluff a few months ago and is now growing it back big time - it's still not long but is harder to groom and feels like 'over processed' hair?  His Mums paws were 'mops' and I think Ben takes after her and will need a foot trim soon but other than that he is going to be left alone ;)

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:06 PM »
no - only areas that might need attention are feet and poss behind the ears if go into a small tangle with all the patting they get. Maybe only every  6 months.The flag at the end of the tail can do with being shortened every year too - hold the tail,get all the hair pointing towards the end, twirl the hair at the end round a few times and just cut it - no great need to shape it or trim under the tail as you would do with a show cocker unless you feel like it - I like a bit of a flag anyway - a dead give away if someone is trying to get down a rabbit hole  :005: I never brush mine either as they dont need it to be honest. They are through so many bushes and usually bathed quite often as in ponds etc so I suppose the shampooing etc masages the skin and any hairs come out that way - not a lot of hair to lose though :lol: Not saying that goes for everyones dogs though!!Liver and blacks sometimes can do with a finger and thumb pluck - usually on top of head and sometimes on the thigh - alt a coat king or a small stripping knife and thumb does the job nicely.
A spayed or castrated dog is a different matter though as in common with most gundogs, the coat texture will alter unfortunately.
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Offline TinaK

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 11:31:46 PM »
Oh, i don't want to trim the hair between his toes! it's SO cute! i've never seen it with other dogs. That would be the last thing I'd think about trimming - do they get long? Get on the way? I guess it keeps them worm retrieving from the cold weather...

Jack hasn't been de-sexed, I hope we wouldn't need to... hope his coat stays feathery.

BTW, he is mostly  and unusually white  :huh:, ticked or picked or whatever they call it; he has these tassels on his head, like a king - black and white...  :luv:  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 10:24:21 AM »
Oh, i don't want to trim the hair between his toes! it's SO cute! i've never seen it with other dogs. That would be the last thing I'd think about trimming - do they get long? Get on the way? I guess it keeps them worm retrieving from the cold weather...

Jack hasn't been de-sexed, I hope we wouldn't need to... hope his coat stays feathery.

BTW, he is mostly  and unusually white  :huh:, ticked or picked or whatever they call it; he has these tassels on his head, like a king - black and white...  :luv:  :D

hairy feet may be 'cute' but can be a source of problems -  matting, grass seeds, impacted mud, and many more health issues...it is sensible to check and trim the feet regularly and forgo the cuteness (you should be handling your dogs feet and ears anyway to get them used to being touched)

helen & jarvis x

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 11:11:24 AM »
Hi Jack sounds lovely  :luv: ! Sorry to go off topic a bit but having read your other posts re leash laws I know that Jack wanders about away from your yard which is not securely fenced and that you dont like tying him up even though that is the law in your area. If you leave him entire he will want to wander even more as he gets older when he gets scent of a bitch in heat, and he will!. Please consider getting him neutered. :-\. I dont think I need to spell out the probable consequences if you dont. There are so many pups born as the result of 'accidents' and unwanted dogs in this world...
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »
My full worker Mikey doesn't need professional grooming/trimming at all. I just give him the usual once over with the brush but make sure he's not developing any matts in his ears or between his back legs.

Mikey is 14 months and was neutered at 5 months ago and I have seen no sign of change in his black silky, shiny coat - but herbie who was done at 7 months and is 1 on Sunday has a coat like candy floss now ::)
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 11:52:25 PM »
BTW, he is mostly  and unusually white  , ticked or picked or whatever they call it

yes - he is like many of mine - white with black ticking.

Totally agree with choccydrop - while the workers need very little in the way of coat care, some much less than others VBG, it is important to keep the feet tidy and also behind the ears for the reasons stated. Although my dogs dont need much grooming, I do check inside their ears every week just to make sure everything is in order and check their teeth too..
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers