Author Topic: Matts  (Read 2616 times)

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
Matts
« on: October 28, 2007, 01:30:50 PM »
Because both Glen and Sally are workers I don't need to do an awful lot of grooming with them just a brush through their ears at bedtime but I'm looking for a tip to stop matts. Both of them get them at the base of their ears so am I just not brushing thoroughly enough or is there something else I could be doing? Also once they have matts is there any way of recovering them or do they just have to be cut out?  I have to admit that up til now I have just cut them out as and when I found them and because of where they are its nots noticeable but I think there must be another way of getting rid.

Many thanks  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Re: Matts
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:41:33 PM »
As you have seen for yourself, Sasha is a very curly girlie and is very prone to mats. I comb through some watered down conditioner and leave it in. Been a lot better since doing that.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
Wasn't there a tip a few months ago - something odd from the household, like baking powder or something?

Love Chris

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
Wasn't there a tip a few months ago - something odd from the household, like baking powder or something?

Cornflour wasn't it.

One just isn't enough.

Offline bonnie blue

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
Hi i have a special little tool called a matt splitter and that does the trick ;)
Owned by Molly and Poppy and never ever forgetting Maisie at the bridge x

Offline Trischie

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
Ahhh, found the link I was thinking of - you were right, it was cornflour. Seems good for stopping bleeding as well, after rooting through all those links!

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=33100.msg449953#msg449953

I've been thinning a lot recently too, after having good tips from COLlers on how to keep knots and tangles out.

Love Chris

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:17:56 PM »
Tommy is getting a lot of matt's lately, I'm guessing something to do with his ears getting wet from damp grass in the mornings? Does it then matt when it dries? I don't know, but I spend quite a while brushing them out using a slicker brush, being as gentle as I can, it works. But is this something a "coat king" would be good for? I've noticed it a few times reading on these forums. Would it be worth buying one of these for grooming Tommy?

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 12:32:17 PM »
Hi i have a special little tool called a matt splitter and that does the trick ;)

Had one of those but accidently cut Sally with it so OH threw it out  :'(

As you have seen for yourself, Sasha is a very curly girlie and is very prone to mats. I comb through some watered down conditioner and leave it in. Been a lot better since doing that.

Is this special dog conditioner or would my tresseme do the trick?
Ahhh, found the link I was thinking of - you were right, it was cornflour. Seems good for stopping bleeding as well, after rooting through all those links!

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=33100.msg449953#msg449953

I've been thinning a lot recently too, after having good tips from COLlers on how to keep knots and tangles out.

Love Chris

Off to get some cornflour now so we can keep on top of this

Thanks everyone  :D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline spanielcrazy

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
Tommy is getting a lot of matt's lately, I'm guessing something to do with his ears getting wet from damp grass in the mornings? Does it then matt when it dries? I don't know, but I spend quite a while brushing them out using a slicker brush, being as gentle as I can, it works. But is this something a "coat king" would be good for? I've noticed it a few times reading on these forums. Would it be worth buying one of these for grooming Tommy?

Coat King is for taking out the dead undercoat on the body, it should not be used on ears. You are doing fine with the slicker. Some of the reason he's matting more is seasonal shedding, they are getting ready for winter so shedding out summer coat, but a mat can form when the dead coat gets trapped in the hair. Being wet will also definitely cause mats, swimming, bathing without brushing afterward, dew on the grass.

The mat splitters are very very sharp, I don't like them, especially when I sliced my finger open on one!  >:(   I use these in the shop: http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=328&osCsid=902c57d1e2343e4199a02769c8c95bfe

They work great and the ends are blunt so they don't cut dogs or people!
The madhouse: Michelle, Joy, Jordie, Gizmo, Bracken, Jewel

"My darlings,I love you more than life itself, but you're all ****ing mad!"  Ozzy Osbourne

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 04:58:09 PM »

Is this special dog conditioner or would my tresseme do the trick?

No nothing special Asda's own coconut conditioner, [ A little tip I got off Michelle]  Smells lovely as well.

One just isn't enough.

Offline Vivienne

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 05:04:59 PM »
Whistlers ears are fine its under his front legs that gets all matted. I try teasing it out but he fidgets so i cut it out, whats a matt splitter?

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 07:42:01 PM »
No nothing special Asda's own coconut conditioner

Is that wash-out conditioner or leave it stuff?

Even though I groom Charlie a lot, he has suddenly developed some matts, too.  >:(I wondered if it had something to do with getting wet. :huh:

Offline joanne_v

• Site Member
  • Team Edward
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 09:20:45 PM »
a matt splitter is a u-shaped tool with a very sharp blade on half of the inside bit of the u. They do get matts out but you have to be v.careful especially if the matts have got really close to the skin. I dont like them, i just use grooming scissors to gradually cut them out.

PS It must defo be the wetness causing more matts just now, its getting ridiculous!

Mum to cockers Lily, Lance and Krumble and lurchers Arwen and Lyra. Hooman sister to Pepper, 13.

Offline Slave of Baxter

• Site Member
  • Baxter A.K.A. 'Bimble-bottom'
    • Dreamweezle Ferret & Small Animal Bedding
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:32:01 PM »

Baxter gets matts either side of his manhood... and won't let me any where near them with any sharp object. (guess you can't blame him really!  :005:)...

I can't comb them out either though  :-\
Jo
Owned by Baxter & Dillon living in Warwickshire

Offline Simon

• Site Member
  • Tommy Bonaloo
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 10:08:28 AM »

Coat King is for taking out the dead undercoat on the body, it should not be used on ears. You are doing fine with the slicker. Some of the reason he's matting more is seasonal shedding, they are getting ready for winter so shedding out summer coat, but a mat can form when the dead coat gets trapped in the hair. Being wet will also definitely cause mats, swimming, bathing without brushing afterward, dew on the grass.

The mat splitters are very very sharp, I don't like them, especially when I sliced my finger open on one!  >:(   I use these in the shop: http://www.dezynadog.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=54&products_id=328&osCsid=902c57d1e2343e4199a02769c8c95bfe

They work great and the ends are blunt so they don't cut dogs or people!

Oh interesting, would it be worth getting a coat king anyway, to remove dead hair? Tom is groomed professionally every three months or so, so would there be much point?

I'll have a look for the matt splitter in the pet shop latter, got a few things I'm after anyway. Thing is though, Tommy is building up a bit of resentment when I brush his ears now, although I try to make it as quick and comfortable as possible, I hold onto the matt so I don't pull his ear at all. He is learning that if he fidgits he gets his ears hidden though! Cheeky monkey. I've tried treating him and plenty of praise but I think I'm gonna have to get out a high value reward like cheese or sliced ham, before he begins to really hate it.

It's got terrible lately. I brush him most days, and have never noticed him matting like this before, rarely did he every have a mattat all. He does get the under his front legs too, I suppose it's to do with his harness that he wears.

So, when he gets wet ears, should I combe them through before they dry? I always just assumed that you leave them to them dry then brush. Don't know why I think like that, maybe that's the wrong way round?