Author Topic: How to stop the pee soaking the undercoat?  (Read 726 times)

Offline rebeccabloor

How to stop the pee soaking the undercoat?
« on: March 12, 2009, 09:46:31 PM »
Hi All,

Bentley has a bit of length on his skirt now and we have noticed recently that his pee is catching on it as he has just started lifting his leg but sometimes squats.

It is making his coat very yellow and crusty underneath and i wondered what you all do to help prevent this?

It doesn't help that Bentley is white so it's very obvious.... ::)

Did i read recently about using oil to (i assume) a waterproof barrier?

Also the hygiene of keeping the area pee-free.............. ph34r

Any help appreciated!!!! xxx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: How to stop the pee soaking the undercoat?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I've always trimmed the hair off William's "little twinkle"  :005:(as my friend calls it), which helps keep him clean and less smelly. I also clip what I call an air conditioning strip around that area and up the middle of his abdomen, so he still has skirt but it's more of a fringe on either side with a clipped bit in between. He dries off more quickly after wet walks and baths because there's just not as much hair to dry.

Offline rebeccabloor

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I've always trimmed the hair off William's "little twinkle"  :005:(as my friend calls it), which helps keep him clean and less smelly. I also clip what I call an air conditioning strip around that area and up the middle of his abdomen, so he still has skirt but it's more of a fringe on either side with a clipped bit in between. He dries off more quickly after wet walks and baths because there's just not as much hair to dry.

Hi Elaine, can you do this if you show? i would love to take it all off but wasn't sure if it's 'allowed'  :005:

He does get it on the skirt aswel where his aim isn't great  :005:

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:19:39 PM »
No, you won't be able to if you're going to show. Sorry, i didn't realise that you're going to show him.

Offline LouiseH

• Site Member
  • Lourisma Moon Quest
    • Lourisma Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »
I have the same problem with one of my girls and she needs to be bathed every week, sometimes twice a week so I am going to try the oil. I wouldn't brush urine stained coat as it will break - better to wash first. I do use a grooming spray called "the stuff" which prevents urine soaking into the hair and although it helps it hasn't solved the problem. I have been looking into no-rinse shampoos but none seem to deal with removing urine. Sometimes we do a "bum wash" rather than a full bath :lol2:. Also she has a white tip on her tail which is sometimes yellow - I think she squats way too low  :005:.
Louise Harrison
Lourisma Cocker Spaniels