Author Topic: Recall getting worse - is it me or him?  (Read 4539 times)

Offline lescef

Re: Recall getting worse - is it me or him?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 09:18:33 AM »
It's really good that Humphrey behaves appropriately,  giving out calming signals and can be used as a stooge dog. He must be 'bomb-proof!'  ;)
I wish we had group walks round here, it's just what Maddie needs.  :'(

Couldn't you try and organize something yourself? Ours are organized by our trainer but they're not part of the training - he does it as an extra and its open to anyone. Perhaps if you could find another couple of people who'd be interested and then look for a local trainer who'd be willing to walk with you for say an hour in the week. We pay him 5 euros each but actually its a doddle for him, he walks his own dog,  gets cash in hand from us and he's got no overheads as such, so its a win/win situation.  ;)

I don't know that many people with dogs and I can't see our trainer wanting to be involved as she only works part time and has a young family. We do ok really but can't make any further progress until we start getting closer to other dogs. Hey ho! ;)
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
Update on the black flash  ph34r

She ha spent the morning in the garden either on the long line unattached or no lead/line i.e. If she legged it I'd have no chance of catching her!  The remarkable bit is there is no barrier between the garden and the 7 acre field (no friends Emma  ;)) just 2 strands of barbed wire.....not once has she even attempted to run off, not even when the pheasants have been calling..... :angel: unlike Pearl, 5 today who has bogged off 3 times and had to be "fetched" out of the field  >:D

Coral is 15 months old this week

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »
Good girl, Coral! And happy birthday to Pearl who is having herself some fun.  ;)

We've started working with the long line and I'm quite enjoying it as it makes me more relaxed. It also means I can take him places I normally wouldn't, so he's getting more variety in his walks.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 03:18:35 PM »
After a fortninght of long line, we're the same now, - it was just a matter of getting used to it but I also feel we're making progress. I let the lead go a lot of the time and Humph' potters along dragging it behind and occasionally I tread on the end, just to remind him how big his radius is. OH keeps laughing at me, as I get panicky if anything drives past and race to wind the lead up - I remember watching a film centuries ago about Isadora Duncan who was strangled when her long scarf got wound round the wheels of a car!!  On the whole though, despite my initial reservations, I think it was a good move and, as Henry's still a bit younger, you'll probably see quicker results!

Offline PennyB

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2016, 08:23:07 AM »
Have to say that between 1 and 2 years old, Bosley's recall was sometimes intermittent - his unfortunately meant he wouldn't go back onlead so I ended up with him running round the block off the park until he wanted to come in - was a nightmare for a while then it sort of stopped (in his case I wonder if it was because he had an enforced period onlead after his eye op plus it started when I began using a head collar then became habitual as I'd transferred him to a harness).

Wilf's recall was also intermittent age 7 months for a few months and while I used a longline if I walked beyond the park I tended to play games and do basic training which helped - partly as it was he was becoming more independent and I needed to reinforce our bond, which I did and it helped immensely.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
Thanks, PennyB. It's reassuring to know this is something to be expected. I have gone back to basics on the training and am teaching him fetch (whereas previously he just wanted to keep!) and other tricks like putting his nose into my hand. I'm sure it all helps to keep us bonded.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)